• Northfield Airloom Tūra & Tūra DLX Cases Announced

Northfield Airloom Tūra & Tūra DLX Cases

MARSHALL, MICH. — Northfield Mandolins has released an informational page for their new Airloom Tūra & Tūra DLX carbon fiber cases that have been spotted accompanying select Northfield mandolins for sale from their retail partners.

NOTE: the pricing listed on the Northfield web site, currently listed as starting at $650, is a special introductory pricing. A case cover is in the plans with an expected availability date late 2022.

Specs, Features

Structural Design

Shell Material: Carbon Fiber

Tūra DLX: 3K woven carbon fiber with clear coat

Tūra: Uni-directional plain carbon fiber with Metallic Black or Seafoam Green enamel.

Arched top with significant room for bridge height (for most mandolin neck angles.) Flatter bottom shell to minimize overall thickness, reduced storage and carry size.

Weight: 5.5 lbs. (Stronger + nearly half the weight of Northfield's previous deluxe oblong fiberglass case).

Interior

Fit: Universally shaped cavity accommodates both "A & F" styles and accommodates left-handed models.

Foam

• Thickness @ endpin: 2 3/8"
    • Thickness @ waist: 1 3/4"

Fabric

• Tūra DLX: Vintage Green Crushed Silk Velvet
    • Tūra: "Pinot Red" Crushed Velvet (think magenta-infused burgundy)

Storage: One large case pocket, access underneath neck rest.

Dimensions

• Body cavity depth @ endpin 2 1/8"
    • Interior length (peghead to endpin): 28 3/4"
    • Interior Width @ widest point: 10 1/4"

Special Features

Fits all Northfield "A & F" style models, except Calhoun.

Accommodates most instruments pre-fitted with a Tone Gard. (Please note: the foam will be stiff at first and the fit will be tight. Over some usage/storage the foam will soften enough to make the fit more relaxed. To avoid any impressions that could be left by this accessory, DO NOT store a newly finished (especially those with a spirit varnish) instrument with a Tone Gard inside a tight-fitting case for long periods of time.

Exterior

Latches

• Tūra DLX: Draw latch, spring-loaded.
    • Tūra: Traditional “Briefcase” style latch.

Handle: Genuine Leather.

Feet: Heavy-duty polyurethane material; installed with threaded inserts for easy replacement.

Dimensions

• Case thickness/height (including feet and taken at highest point of the arch) 6 1/2”"
    • Total Length: 30 1/4"
    • Exterior width: 14" @ widest point

Special Features

• Fitted with D-rings and comes with backpack straps for easy carrying.
    • Poly Vinyl gasket for thermal and moisture protection.

Additional Information

Comments 10 Comments
      Chris Gray -
      It sure looks a lot like another popular case brand....
      joh -
      This looks like a very classy case. And compared to the Airloom "Recurve", surely there must be functional benefits to this case. That said, on first impression, I still much prefer the look of the Recurve. In particular, the materials, textures, and color options of the Recurse are more appealing than the glossy and teal finish of the Tura.
      Jill McAuley -
      Love that seafoam green case! Wish these had been out when I was buying a case to fly home with my Girouard a couple of years ago, I would've been all over one!
      DougC -
      The 'Seafoam' model has a different latch. I'm a big fan of 'subway handles', or at least some way to hold it upright in a vertical position witch would require some 'feet' on the bottom end.
      They are about 5.5 lbs however and that's a big deal for me.
      Ray(T) -
      The black one looks much the same as my 198? Calton - except for the carbon fibre finish and the latches (how I hate those latches!).

5.5lb doesn’t sound heavy to me. The Calton wighs in at 7lb 10oz.
      sblock -
      Sure looks to be a Hoffee-inspired case with an Ikea-inspired name!
      Drew Egerton -
      Quote Originally Posted by joh View Post
      This looks like a very classy case. And compared to the Airloom "Recurve", surely there must be functional benefits to this case. That said, on first impression, I still much prefer the look of the Recurve. In particular, the materials, textures, and color options of the Recurse are more appealing than the glossy and teal finish of the Tura.
      I have had two Recurve cases (still have one) and have a Tura DLX. It is MUCH tougher, stiffer lid, etc. The storage area in the DLX is also significantly bigger. The Recurve is a great lightweight case too, but this one combines the lightweight with a lot more protection.
      Josh Levine -
      I am wondering about the memory foam? Is it comparable to a Calton on the inside? I like the idea of a smaller and lighter case, but it would cost me money to sell a Calton and get one of these so I am wondering if it feels super solid. One of my gripes with the Recurve was that the padding felt kind of weak.
      Glassweb -
      The Tura DLX looks fantastic... wish I could afford one!
      Drew Egerton -
      Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
      I am wondering about the memory foam? Is it comparable to a Calton on the inside? I like the idea of a smaller and lighter case, but it would cost me money to sell a Calton and get one of these so I am wondering if it feels super solid. One of my gripes with the Recurve was that the padding felt kind of weak.
      It feels really solid to me. Being that I got the case on it's own it basically had not had a mandolin in it before other than any test fit they might have done. Took a little wedging it get my 4th Gen in there with the Tone Gard and armrest attached. Now it has some small indentions there and fits much more smoothly, but it is a very snug and secure feeling fit.