• New in Print - Matt Flinner's The View From Here Transcriptions and Exercises

Matt Flinner's The View From Here Transcriptions and Exercises

RIPTON, VT. — To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Matt Flinner's The View From Here, a book of transcriptions of the melodies and solos played on the recording is now available for pre-ordering.

An instant classic when it was released, listening today, the music is still as fresh and exciting as it was when it first came out.

In addition to the transcriptions, Matt designed exercises for each of the tunes to help mandolin players with the tricky parts of the tunes. The book features an exercise for each tune, honing in on the skills a player needs to play the tune.

The book is 60 pages long and spiral bound to lay flat on a music stand or desk. Besides the transcriptions and exercises, a selection of photos of the groups Matt has played with along with those of his legendary Gilchrist F5 are included. Music is in standard notation and tablature.

The preorder price will be $25 including shipping. The deadline for preorders is October 31. After that date the price will be $25 plus actual shipping costs.

Additional Information

Sample Transcription

Comments 25 Comments
      Drew Egerton -
      Shipping sure has gotten expensive everywhere. I am amazed you can ship it in the US for $5.
      Thanks for the great deal on the pre-order, I am looking forward it!
      Mandolin Cafe -
      A reminder today is the last day to order with some type of discount.
      tmsweeney -
      just got my copy - I see a Don Grieser mention there as well, very very cool. I had figured out some of Red Shift by ear, but never completed that effort, no excuses now, though I am very interested in Wilson Bridge.
      Really this record stands with some of the great mandolin albums like the first DQG, Gator Strut, Up in the Woods, Mysterious South, Sluz Duz. Hopefully we can inject some of these tunes into the jam circles!
      Tom Hart -
      Got mine two weeks ago. Cold Quarters and Village Road are great places to start. Also preserved that autographed post-it note from Matt for posterity. As someone that has had difficulty learning by ear, these transcriptions are a Godsend for an album that is so familiar to me.
      Don Grieser -
      Hey Tim, thanks. I was happy to help Matt get the book done. I felt like it was needed for the mando community.

Tom, let's play those at Monroe Camp next year!