• New in Print and eBook: Mandolin Picking Tunes - Old-Time Gems by Tommy Norris

Mandolin Picking Tunes - Old-Time Gems by Tommy Norris

FENTON, MO. — Mel Bay Publications, Inc. has announced the availability of Mandolin Picking Tunes - Old-Time Gems, by Tommy Norris. Available in eBook format now, the print version is expected soon.

Written in standard notation and tablature for the intermediate to advanced mandolinist, "Angeline the Baker," "Darlin’ Corey," and 16 other classic old-time tunes never sounded so good as in these solo arrangements by Tommy Norris.

The author performs each tune flawlessly on the companion online audio tracks. Suggested chords are provided for optional accompaniment. Care has been taken to select the most popular tunes of this genre for inclusion in this book. "Don’t Let Your Deal Go Down" without it!

Listen

From the audio tracks available with purchase, "Angeline the Baker."

Selections

• Angeline the Baker
    • Bonaparte's Retreat
    • Cherokee Shuffle
    • Cold Rain and Snow
    • Darlin' Corey
    • Don't Let Your Deal Go Down
    • Grey Eagle
    • Handsome Molly
    • I Will Never Marry
    • Jimmy in the Swamp
    • Long Journey Home
    • New River Train
    • Over the Waterfall
    • Red Rocking Chair
    • Roving Gambler
    • Sittin' on Top of the World
    • Spotted Pony
    • Texas Gals

Additional Information

Comments 5 Comments
      Perry -
      This book looks interesting. Does anybody know if it contains harmonization of the melody? (Double stops, partial chords etc.) Or is it all just single line stuff?

I guess my question is how sophisticated are the arrangements?

The sample “Angeline” has some of this going on.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Samples providing on their web site suggest at least one additional tune with the former. Since this has only been released in digital format and not yet in print I doubt anyone knows but the author and the editor at Mel Bay. It's also for intermediate to advanced players. Not sure a book of single note fiddle tunes fits that description.

Attachment 204023
      tommynorris -
      Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
      This book looks interesting. Does anybody know if it contains harmonization of the melody? (Double stops, partial chords etc.) Or is it all just single line stuff?

I guess my question is how sophisticated are the arrangements?

The sample “Angeline” has some of this going on.
      Hey Perry,

Tommy here (the author). The book features a mix of chord melodies and single note fiddle tunes, with the majority being chord melody. With the single note tunes I tried to start with the basic melodies and then show some more embellished variations. Hope this helps!
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Print version is now available for purchase.
      Perry -
      Took a while but I just purchased the book. I remembered about this book when I was listening to this which I consider some very fine playing in this style:

https://mandobaron.bandcamp.com/album/old-time-mandolin