• Mandolin Camp North Registration Opens

Mandolin Camp North Registration Opens

CHARLTON, MASS. — Registration has opened for the 2023 Mandolin Camp North, held April 21-23 in Charlton, Mass. at the Prindle Pond Conference Center.

The camp features total mandolin immersion with workshops, jamming, and personal interaction with some of the top performers in the roots music world in a friendly, supportive environment.

Located on 500 lovely wooded acres on the shore of Prindle Pond in Charlton, Prindle Pond Conference Center offers clean, comfortable accommodations and ample space for classes, jams, concerts, and vendors. The Center is fully handicapped accessible.

Camp runs 2:30 Friday p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Sunday. Prices includes tuition, room and board (no room if commuting or single day). See the camp website for pricing options.

In addition to mandolin instruction, fiddle classes led by John Showman, Janie Rothfield, Steve Roy and Ella Jordan will also be available.

Instructors

• Don Stiernberg
    • Sharon Gilchrist
    • Jacob Jolliff
    • Joe Newberry
    • Jim Richter
    • Maddie Witler
    • Lauren Price Napier
    • Don Julin
    • Skip Gorman
    • John Kael
    • Ethan Setiawan
    • Ben Pearce
    • Lorraine Hammond
    • Claudine Langille
    • Moriah Ozberkmen
    • Bill Thibodeau
    • Tony Watt
    • Lincoln Meyers
    • Bennett Hammond
    • Austin Scelzo
    • Annie Staninec
    • Louise Bichan
    • Janie Rothfield

Organized and administered by Music Camps North, they will also host Banjo Camp North, May 19-21.

Skill Levels

Mandolin Camp North offers instruction across the entire spectrum of skills and experience campers bring to the table, from rank beginners to professionals. The camp makes every effort to make sure there is something going on for players of each level throughout the weekend.

About Mandolin Camp North

• Classes and workshops on a wide variety of topics for all skill levels.
    • Novice to advanced players on mandolin welcome.
    • Most classes and workshops are hands-on, while a few are lectures or demonstrations.
    • A variety of acoustic genres is covered.
    • Traditional and progressive bluegrass, blues, and jazz.
    • Guided and informal jams are held throughout the weekend.
    • Wide variety of genres and for all skill levels.
    • Faculty concerts on Friday and Saturday after dinner and before evening jams.
    • Lots of informal opportunities to “pick” with faculty and other students.
    • Camaraderie with other people who share your passion for the mandolin.
    • A luthier on duty at a vendor table to help you with your instrument.
    • CDs and DVDs by the faculty will be available for sale.
    • Comfortable housing, and good food at tables shared by students and faculty.

Additional Information

Comments 2 Comments
      Sue Rieter -
      Wow, this is going to be a tough decision for me. The teachers look awesome and it is not that far for me to travel. And I wanted to attend last year but couldn't. The tough part is I've joined the NH Fiddle Ensemble this year, and the first dress rehearsal is the same weekend (Sunday).
      Dave Hicks -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
      Wow, this is going to be a tough decision for me. The teachers look awesome and it is not that far for me to travel. And I wanted to attend last year but couldn't. The tough part is I've joined the NH Fiddle Ensemble this year, and the first dress rehearsal is the same weekend (Sunday).
      Friends who I haven't played with since before COVID are doing a show on May 1st, and asked me to join them. Unfortunately, I have tickets for Merlefest, which ends on April 30th. I guess we'll hope there's nothing really essential on the last day and hurry home. (But the closers the past two times were Emmylou Harris and Mavis Staples.)

A little later, the Midwest Banjo camp moved to 2 blocks up the street, and they have mandolin classes, too. (I could get my banjer out, I guess. )

D.H.

D.H.