View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Monday #56 - w/ Special Guest Adam Tanner

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
This week here's the preeminent old time mandolin scholar, Adam Tanner, with a stellar tune from the playing of Osey Helton. Some incredible tone coming from that 1928 Gibson F4!

Adam is the Swannanoa Gathering's resident old time mandolin instructor, and I've gotten to know him in my time there in Black Mountain, NC, over the years. Not only is he a talented player and composer, but I'm always amazed by how steeped he is in the history and tradition of the music. I always learn new and useful things about the mandolin whenever I'm around Adam.

If you're interested in learning more about old time mandolin, I'd definitely recommend getting ahold of Adam's book, The Shuffle of The Pick. Also, you can connect with Adam and check out his music through his website: www.adamtannermusic.com

Submit "Mandolin Monday #56 - w/ Special Guest Adam Tanner" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Monday #56 - w/ Special Guest Adam Tanner" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Monday #56 - w/ Special Guest Adam Tanner" to Google

Comments

Nicely done, Adam. Welcome!
    Great stuff Adam
    Really great!
    Thanks Adam!
    Fantastic playing, wonderful tune and a beautiful sounding (and looking) mandolin. Really enjoyed this! Thank you.
    Thanks to both David for including Adam in his guest project, and to Adam for a gem of a tune!
    Love the tune, timbre, style--particularly double-stops, I could hear a fiddle playing!
    Excellent, Adam! Thanks,Scott!
    Wow, I love this! And that must be the mandolin on the cover of the eBook. Sweet!
    Beautiful! Isn't there a slip jig by the same name? Sounds like this could have been inspired by that.
    Thanks everybody for your kind and insightful comments!
    Rocky Road to Dublin is an extremely common name for both American old time tunes and some Irish tunes as well...Most of the melodies under this title are completely unrelated...but my version is somewhat similar to versions of this tune also played by 1920's fiddler's ,Bill Hensley(Polk County NC) and Alan Sisson(E.TN)
    Thanks again to David Benedict and Scott Tichenor for giving me a few minutes to share some old time mandolin music with the Mandolin Cafe.
    I hope to see some of you at music camps I am teaching at this summer;The Acoustic Blues Workshop at Centrum in Port Townsend WA in August and Compton's Monroe Camp in September.
    All the best!
    A+ !