View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #58 w/ Special Guest Matt Flinner

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Check out Matt Flinner playing this amazing solo arrangement of Chopin's Waltz No. 7 on his trusty Gilchrist F5!

Matt is a mandolinist who needs little introduction. He has taken the mandolin to new places over the years through his work with projects such as Phillips, Grier, and Flinner, The Modern Mandolin Quartet, The Matt Flinner Trio, and many others. His records The View From Here and Latitude are two of my favorite mandolin albums and are well deserving of a permanent place in the new acoustic music canon.

I had the privilege of studying with Matt for a couple years, and I can tell you firsthand that he's an amazing instructor as well. Now Matt teaches group classes online. The next batch of Bluegrass courses start soon, and if you register before 2/15/17 you'll get 25% off. More info HERE

Also, connect with Matt through the sites below to hear more of his music and keep up with his latest news:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mattflinner/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MattFlinner?lang=en

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #58 w/ Special Guest Matt Flinner" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #58 w/ Special Guest Matt Flinner" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #58 w/ Special Guest Matt Flinner" to Google

Updated Feb-06-2017 at 4:27pm by dbmandolin

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Bravo! "Welcome Matt." er, we mean Welcome, Matt. Sure you've NEVER heard that joke before. Love your playing. Thanks for being here with us.
    Wow, that's amazing! I went over to youtube to hear the original--it is one thing to present this piece on 88 keys, 10 fingers producing harmony, and the huge dynamic range of a concert piano, and quite another on the mando. The artistry is how you've preserved the core of the piece while making it more intimate.
    Wonderful! There's so much music in this diminutive instrument.
    What's the zipper sound after the conclusion of the piece around 2:13... some of Matt's humor showing up for Mandolin Mondays?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe
    Bravo! "Welcome Matt." er, we mean Welcome, Matt. Sure you've NEVER heard that joke before. Love your playing. Thanks for being here with us.
    It's funny, but I've NEVER heard that joke before! Thank you Scott, for having me here on your wonderful site.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Frosty
    Wonderful! There's so much music in this diminutive instrument.
    What's the zipper sound after the conclusion of the piece around 2:13... some of Matt's humor showing up for Mandolin Mondays?
    Hi Frosty,
    Well, I did a few takes of the piece before deciding which one to use. After playing the last take, I was sure I wouldn't be using it as one of the other takes was surely better, so I sort of muttered "nah!" to myself and scraped the pick across the strings after the last chord. But after listening to all of the takes, I went with that one after all. I DID consider adding an explosion at the end, but it would have taken too much time to edit it in (and those books are highly flammable). Maybe next time.
    Thanks for listening!
    Matt
    Fantastic. Any chance of getting this arrangement?
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorSwan
    Fantastic. Any chance of getting this arrangement?
    TaylorSwan: I will see what I can do. If I can get one together, I'll post it here as well as on my website.
    Thanks!
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by flynyrdskynyrd
    TaylorSwan: I will see what I can do. If I can get one together, I'll post it here as well as on my website.
    Thanks!
    Matt
    Hey @flynyrdskynyrd, did you end up getting your hands on it?