View RSS Feed

The Fifth Course

MandoGeek Trivia #2

Rate this Entry
rekx successfully sussed the maker.
Anyone for a guess at the model?
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FenderMando2.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	55641  

Submit "MandoGeek Trivia #2" to Facebook Submit "MandoGeek Trivia #2" to Yahoo Submit "MandoGeek Trivia #2" to Google

Updated Mar-02-2009 at 6:19pm by Daniel Nestlerode

Categories
Electric Explorations

Comments

So close!
    Sorry, no it is not a "Fender Electric Mandolin." Though it fits that description to a tee and I will affectionately call it my Mandocaster, "Fender Electric Mandolin" is not the model name.

Keep digging, you'll find it.

Daniel
    FM-988

Interesting stuff here;

http://www.emando.com/builders/Fender2.htm

"Then, early in 2008, a batch of FM-984s and FM-988s appeared in the United States. Most of these appeared to be finished in "Seafoam Green," but they might actually have been Sonic Blue instruments with yellowed clearcoat. Research reveals that these instruments originated from Fender EDC BV in the Netherlands. Rejected for being the wrong color, they languished in a Dutch warehouse for five years or more before being sold to the Musical Instrument Reclamation Corporation in Tennessee, which stamped then "USED" and sold them wholesale to U.S. dealers, most of whom immediately sold them on eBay—where demand was higher than anticipated: they sold for as much as $1,000."

Does yours have "used" stamped on it?
    Bingo!

Well, the picture shows a used stamp. I don't have it in hand yet.

I should get the instrument tomorrow. On Wed I'll take a bunch of pictures and post them to the photos section of the message board.

Daniel
    Updated Mar-03-2009 at 1:39am by Daniel Nestlerode