View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #89 w/ Special Guest Andrew Collins

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
This week, Toronto-based, award-winning mandolinist Andrew Collins brings us an imaginative arrangement of the Celtic classic "Banish Misfortune" on his lovely Heiden F5 mandolin.

Andrew has been a fixture in the Canadian folk music scene for over a decade. Through the years, he's been awarded numerous Juno and Canadian Folk Music Awards for his expansive recorded work.

I first met Andrew at the 2016 IBMA convention where he was showcasing with his group, The Andrew Collins Trio--an eclectic chamber-grass ensemble. Listening to their music there, I was drawn to the beautiful tone and textures that the group displayed in their uniquely original music. This creative style is greatly portrayed in their most recent album And It Was Good--a concept record that programmatically retells the Creation story through a plethora of different instrumental styles and sounds . Check it out here: https://www.andrewcollinstrio.com/music

Here, Andrew gives us an inside look at the arrangement for this tune, "For this video, I took one of my favorite jigs, "Banish Misfortune," and adapted it into a reel. It's a three part tune and I came up with some variations for the parts. For anyone interested, I played my one and only mandolin. It's a beautiful 2006, engelmann top, Heiden F5. Number F-89."

Andrew has a transcription of the tune available as played in this video. Contact him here to inquire: https://www.andrewcollinstrio.com/contact

And connect with Andrew at the links below for more info about his recorded work, mandolin instruction, and tour schedule:

www.andrewcollinstrio.com
www.facebook.com/TheAndrewCollinsTrio/

Until next week--Happy Picking!

David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #89 w/ Special Guest Andrew Collins" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #89 w/ Special Guest Andrew Collins" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #89 w/ Special Guest Andrew Collins" to Google

Comments

Mondays are better with this "Mandolin Monday" weekly feature! Love Andrew's style.
    Welcome, Andrew! I echo the comment above. Always a great way to start the day on the Cafe seeing these new videos.
    What an interesting take on an old session favourite. Thanks for posting this Andrew and posing us sessioners some technical challenges.
    Love Mandolin Mondays!

Love this arrangement!

I'm a big fan going back to "Little Widgets." Thanks for this.
    Very nice. Thanks so much!