View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #126 w/ Special Guest Simon Dunson

Rate this Entry
This week, Simon Dunson stops by Mandolin Mondays to play a slammin' version of a classic jazz standard on his cedar top Girouard mandolin (serial #4).

Although Simon is local to Chapel Hill, NC he spent two years as Interlochen Arts Academy's first mandolin major and is currently studying at NEC as their first jazz performance major on mandolin. Also, Simon keeps an active youtube channel himself--you can check out his channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Fj...

Here's Simon with a word about the piece in this video, "Here's my arrangement of Ain't Misbehavin'. It's tune by Fats Waller that has become a jazz standard and been recorded by everyone from Sonny Stitt to Willie Nelson."

Connect with Simon at the following address for more information about his music, performance schedule, and private lessons: simondunson45@gmail.com

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #126 w/ Special Guest Simon Dunson" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #126 w/ Special Guest Simon Dunson" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #126 w/ Special Guest Simon Dunson" to Google

Comments

Very nice, Simon. Welcome to Mandolin Mondays!
    Bravo!
    Nicely done!
    Unseasonably cool!

I really like how Simon Dunson picks with seemingly no resting or touching of picking hand upon bridge saddle;more from the elbow than wrist. That is how it looks to me;and,it makes for quite powerful tone. Being plugged in probably helps with that too.

No dust on those close-together frets!

Thank you,Simon. I enjoyed that.
    Oh, so sweet. Always loved that song.

Thanks Simon!
    Wow. Great feel, incredible tone, and such good technique. That Girouard sounds amazing, even on those super high notes.