View RSS Feed

Jph

Newbie question - Replacing Collings mandolin strings

Rate this Entry
Ok. Newbie to the mandolin (and this group!) and have an embarrassingly simple question to ask.

I have a beautiful new Collings MT and am ready to change the strings with a fresh set of EJ74s. The tailpiece cover is either on super tight or is the type that hinges rather than slides off. I suspect that I just need to apply more pressure to slide it off, but before I do significant damage to my thumbs, can someone confirm for me that Collings MT tailpieces do in fact slide rather than hinge? Assuming it does in fact slide, any suggestions on how to muscle it off?

Yeah, I know, the answer is probably an obvious one and appreciate your patience with me clogging up your posts. I have been very much enjoying the posts on Mandolin Cafe for some time now, and wish that my entry point and first blog was a bit more sophisticated!

Submit "Newbie question - Replacing Collings mandolin strings" to Facebook Submit "Newbie question - Replacing Collings mandolin strings" to Yahoo Submit "Newbie question - Replacing Collings mandolin strings" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi Jph,
    If it's a standard Collings tail piece, it doesn't slide off or have hinges. There's a hole in the tailpiece that you slide the string through. Slide it all the way through and put the loop at the end of the string over the post on the tailpiece.
    Timk,

Thanks so much… this is super helpful! I think I see the path here now… threading from the bottom through the hole on the underside of the tailpiece, pulling the string up toward the nut, then looping the loop over the hook. Will try tonight… thanks!!!