View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #321 w/ Special Guest Carl Jones

Rate this Entry
This week on Mandolin Mondays we welcome song writer and old-time mandolin music expert Carl Jones to play a set of fun tunes on his 1921 Gibson A-4 mandolin.

Carl Jones is an American songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. Born in Macon, Georgia, Carl presently lives in Hillsville, Virginia. He studied music near Muscle Shoals, Alabama and was influenced by seeing Roy Orbison, Steve Goodman, and Mac Macanally record there. Carl is widely respected for his instrumental talents and original songs about the joys and tribulations of day-to-day life in the South. Carl’s songs have been recorded by The Nashville Bluegrass Band, Kate Campbell, Rickie Simpkins with Tony Rice, and others. His song Last Time On The Road was on the grammy-award-winning album Unleashed by the Nashville Bluegrass Band. In the 1980’s he played mandolin with James Bryan, Norman and Nancy Blake as part of the Rising Fawn String Ensemble. Today he tours the world with his wife, fiddler Erynn Marshall. Carl is known for his fine musicianship, charismatic teaching, sense of humor, and powerful songwriting. He has recorded on a couple dozen recordings including his original songs CD “Traveling Star” and Norman Blake’s “Original Underground Music of the Mysterious South.”

Now Carl and Erynn perform and teach together through their Patreon page--check out their work here: https://www.patreon.com/dittyville?fan_landing=true

And coming up in 2022, Carl will be teaching mandolin at several music camps including: Summer Acoustic Music Week (NH), Steve Kaufman Kamp (TN), Mando Camp North (MA), Monroe Mandolin Camp (VA).

Here's a word from Carl about this video, "The 1st tune I’m playing came out of my mandolin after hearing about David Surette’s passing. David always shared his music and life in such a radiant manner with a steadfast grin so I called this tune, “Big Beamer.” I like to think he would have enjoyed picking this himself. The second tune, is an A modal tune I remember James Bryan played years ago that he called Pretty Little Miss. You can’t go wrong with your mando and a modal tune!"

Be sure to connect with Carl at the following links below for more information about his music:

http://dittyville.com/
https://www.patreon.com/dittyville?fan_landing=true

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #321 w/ Special Guest Carl Jones" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #321 w/ Special Guest Carl Jones" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #321 w/ Special Guest Carl Jones" to Google

Updated Feb-28-2022 at 8:03am by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great job, thank you Carl.
    A lovely tribute from one of my favourite players. And Carl's own smile makes the day better.
    Thank you!
    Really enjoy your YT channel, Carl, thank you for the contribution!
    Great to see Carl again. What a nice guy he is. Love the playing as well.
    Thanks for the lovely tunes so beautifully played. It’s so nice to have that old mandolin tone ringing in my ears on a Monday!
    Thanks, to Carl and David both! Carl, that’s a great sounding A4!
    Very NICE man! Great sounding A-4 as well! Great tone! I think most all these old Gibson's ae serious sleepers in the vintage market! They only made so many right! And many can be bought at squealing deals. I've been getting into them as of late, mainly due to my 21 Cremona K-4!
    I really enjoyed this. Nice to hear his tribute to David Surette, the fantastic tone he gets from that old mandolin, his great playing and the lovely speed he plays those tunes at.
    Thanks Carl.
    Nicely done and a smile, that makes one happy! Thank you for that!
    Yeah man, killer pickin and tone as always Carl!
    So good. Looking forward to learning from you at Monroe Camp.
    Great playing by a guy!