View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #322 w/ Special Guest Skip Gorman

Rate this Entry
This week on Mandolin Mondays we have the amazing Skip Gorman with us to take a spin on the 3 part version on "Dusty Miller" followed by "Cattle in the Corn"--a modal medley played on his 2014 Paul Newson mandolin.

For over half a century SKIP GORMAN has enjoyed singing, playing and performing an impressive and varied palette of traditional American and Celtic folk music. As an accomplished singer, guitarist, fiddler and mandolinist, Gorman has completed over fifteen recordings of fiddle, mandolin, bluegrass and cowboy songs, been featured on many others, and established his own record label, Old West Recordings.

At the age of twelve Skip took up the mandolin, and after meeting Bill Monroe in Newport, he traveled to Fincastle, Virginia to the first ever Bluegrass Festival in 1965. By 1968 Skip was performing at the Berryville (VA) Bluegrass Festival, playing mandolin in workshops with Monroe as well as on the main stage with his college band mates. Art Menius in Bluegrass Unlimited Magazine has referred to Skip as “the finest exponent today of the style of mandolin that was performed by the Monroe Brothers.”

Skip has two Old Style Mandolin CDs (Vol. 1 and Monroesque which is Vol. 2) that he is offering through his website here: www.skipgorman.com

Be sure to connect with Skip at the following links below for more information about his music:

www.skipgorman.com

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #322 w/ Special Guest Skip Gorman" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #322 w/ Special Guest Skip Gorman" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #322 w/ Special Guest Skip Gorman" to Google

Comments

One of my best mandolin experiences was at Mandolin Camp North a few years ago, in a small room with a few other people listening to Skip and Richard Starkey play any Monroe instrumental we asked for. Sublime. Those Old Style Mandolin CDs are must-haves. Great playing and great tunes, thanks!
    Skip is one of the best!
    Awsome.

half a lifetime ago Skip and I played the same Dutch festival. He didnīt play mandolin there and I hadnīt revised my mandolin style yet. It is so neat to see someone obviously circeling the same musical orbit that you are in despite the fact that you live some thousand miles apart. His playing is so relatable. He must have read my mail.
    That was awesome - I love that old style mando playing. Skip carries the torch - +1 for his Old Style Mando CDs, they are fantastic.
    Just fantastic. The way the mandolin should be played.
    Great stuff.

Skip had been a fairly regular visitor to Stonehaven FF in Scotland in recent years until 2020, playing concerts, holding mandolin workshops and jamming and it's good to hear him again.
    How neat. Thanks to both Skip and David.
    That's gettin' to the heart of the matter! Mighty fine, Skip!
    This is wonderful! WOW!!! Thanks, Skip, for sharing!
    I love Skip’s music!
    That is awesome, thank you so much!
    This is why I like the mandolin
    Wonderful. Thank you Skip. I had the pleasure of attending a class you did at Monroe Mandolin Camp in 2015. Still playing those Charlie Monroe tunes!
    A great player and instructor. One of my favorite players.
    Yay!
    Very kool Skip! Nice tone you're getting on that horn!