View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #373 w/ Special Guest Scott Liebers

Rate this Entry
This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by mandolin luthier and player Scott Liebers from Minnesota playing an original tune called "Sawdust in the Frying Pan" on his very first octave mandolin build.

Scott became a mandolin player via violin and guitar from an early age. "Mandolin seemed like the logical next step," he says. He was a recording engineer for Minnesota Public Radio for 10 years and spent most of my time making others sound good which didn't leave him much time to pursue his own music. Scott Played in various acoustic bands in the Twin Cities when time would allow, but a strong interest in woodworking and music led him to learn to build guitars and mandolins over 20 years ago. Now Scott currently builds and repairs instruments full-time. The Liebers instrument in the video is the first octave he has built.

Here's a word from Scott about this video, "It's based off a 1920's Gibson L5 guitar, but deeper for more air volume. I was looking for a cello timbre with more bass than the typical OM. The top is red spruce and back and sides Indian rosewood. My design was successful, and I have orders for this model. The tune, "Sawdust in the Frying Pan" is an original I wrote for the octave mandolin to demo the instrument. The video was shot and recorded at a friend's studio, Reverb and Echo. A wonderful acoustic space which you can hear in the video. Dan Deurloo audio engineer, Carter Brice, DP, Editor, Camera Operator" Check out the studio here: https://www.reverbandecho.com/

Be sure to connect with Scott at the following links below for more information about his mandolins:

https://scottliebers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scottlieber...andolincompany
https://www.instagram.com/scottliebers/?hl=en

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #373 w/ Special Guest Scott Liebers" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #373 w/ Special Guest Scott Liebers" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #373 w/ Special Guest Scott Liebers" to Google

Comments

Very nice, Scott! Like the playing and the octave mandolin. Nice to see a fellow Minnesotan get some notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Vwaal
    Very nice, Scott! Like the playing and the octave mandolin. Nice to see a fellow Minnesotan get some notice.
    Thanks James. Do you frequent the MBOTMA festivals? I hope to run into you sometime.
    Not only is Scott an incredible player and person, but I can honestly say that he is building some of the nicest mandolins and mandolin family instruments I've ever played!
    Wow! That is a great-sounding GBOM! Love the low end! Big but not too boomy! A very joyful tune! Well played! Thanks for sharing!
    Nice tune! Nice axe!
    that is a fantastic looking and sounding GBOM. the notes ring clear and the tone is not mushy. very articulate and beautiful sound.
    d
    Sounds great! We loved hearing your trio at the Vines Bluegrass festival last year.
    Terrific thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by HarrisonMandolin
    Not only is Scott an incredible player and person, but I can honestly say that he is building some of the nicest mandolins and mandolin family instruments I've ever played!
    Thank you so much! That means a lot as you are an amazing player and have some amazing instruments to play as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bowman
    Wow! That is a great-sounding GBOM! Love the low end! Big but not too boomy! A very joyful tune! Well played! Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you. That was my sonic goal, big, but not boomy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfons
    Nice tune! Nice axe!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp
    that is a fantastic looking and sounding GBOM. the notes ring clear and the tone is not mushy. very articulate and beautiful sound.
    d
    Thank you. I was very happy with how it turned out. Now I need to try to remember the formula to make more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda
    Sounds great! We loved hearing your trio at the Vines Bluegrass festival last year.
    Thanks Chuck. I hope we can do that again this year, and hear your band play again too. I enjoyed it much.