View RSS Feed

dbmandolin

Mandolin Mondays #425 w/ Special guest Scott Risner

Rate this Entry
This week on Mandolin Mondays, we're joined by Northern-Kentucky mandolinist of the band Buffalo Wabs & The Price Hill Hustle, Scott Risner, playing an original tune called "Lullaby for Sam" on his 2007 Duff mandolin.

If you're new to Scott's music, here's his incredible story in his own words, "The first real and steady gigs were with a bluegrass band named Spur of the Moment. We played the Ground Round restaurants almost every weekend in the tri~state area from 1983 to 1985.

In 1985 I entered a band contest with a one-off band - met a member of a band from Indianapolis called Classified Grass. The band included a little known 13yo Grand National Fiddle Champion named Alison Krauss. Two years of touring regionally. After our performance at the Kentucky Fried Chicken festival in Louisville I helped produce a promo video of the band and sent it to several record labels. That's when Rounder Records discovered and signed Alison.

In '87 I moved to Rochester, NY and then in '88 moved to Nashville where I played bluegrass with Mike Scott and The All-American Band touring the central US. All this while holding down a full time graphic design job.

In '91, after an audition, I joined JD Crowe and The New South. I was with Crowe for about 6 months until the responsibilities of owning a business forced me to depart and move back to Cincinnati.

The next few years I played lots of pickup gigs in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. In 1994 moved back to Nashville and played in a band called The Prairie Dogs with a young Jon Randall (co-writer of Whiskey Lullaby). We placed 5th out of 50+ bands from around the country at the SPBGMA band contest.

In 1996 I moved to Covington, KY. Soon after I joined two local bands. The Lazy Boys played bluegrass every Tuesday night at Kaldi's in the Over-the-Rhine area of Cincinnati. I was also one of the founding members of the local award winning Comet Bluegrass Band and was a member from 1996 till 2004. Between 1998 and 2000 I was also a member of Eddie Cunningham and Prospect Hill, an alt-country group.

From 2005 to 2007 I was a member of an all original band, The Catalog Cowboys.
From 2004 to 2008 (not exactly sure of these dates) I was a member of the Northern Kentucky Bluegrass Band. We played at Zola in Covington, KY every week.

In 2012 I joined Tex Schram and the Radio King Cowboys which played venues and festivals locally.

In 2013 I started sitting in with Buffalo Wabs and the Price Hill Hustle. In Nov of 2014 I left my full time employment to Join them full-time. Since that time we average about 140 gigs a year (minus the 14 months of COVID). We have opened for Trampled by Turtles, The Steeldrivers, Tyler Childers, Del McCoury, Railroad Earth, Town Mountain, and Steep Canyon Rangers. Festivals played include: Delfest, Healing Appalachia, Kickin’ It On the Creek, Laurel Cove, and Mountain Music Festival. We have appeared on Mountain Stage twice. We were the 2016 Cincinnati Entertainment Award recipients of Best Americana Band. We continue to tour within a 20 state area. Our new album is expected mid 2024.

In 2023 I was inducted in the Northern Kentucky Music Hall of Fame."

Be sure to connect with Scott at the following links below for more information about his music:

http://scottrisner.com/index.html
https://www.pricehillhustle.com/
https://www.instagram.com/pricehillhustle/
https://www.facebook.com/pricehillhustle
https://www.youtube.com/@BuffaloWabs

And as always, tune in next week for more Mandolin Mondays! Until then...

Happy Picking!
David

Submit "Mandolin Mondays #425 w/ Special guest Scott Risner" to Facebook Submit "Mandolin Mondays #425 w/ Special guest Scott Risner" to Yahoo Submit "Mandolin Mondays #425 w/ Special guest Scott Risner" to Google

Comments

A fantastic song and played beautifully.
    Very nice.

I like the "quirky" tune. It speaks to the Monroe side of my personality.

The Presto Case (left corner has more stickers than mine). I hear some sounds of my mandolin in that Duff F-5. I wonder if it is x-braced or tone bar braced. I would like a back to back tryout...

I wonder if he owns a Strad-O-Lin. All of that would sound like there are more similarities between two people than what´s normal...
    Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher
    Very nice.

I like the "quirky" tune. It speaks to the Monroe side of my personality.

The Presto Case (left corner has more stickers than mine). I hear some sounds of my mandolin in that Duff F-5. I wonder if it is x-braced or tone bar braced. I would like a back to back tryout...

I wonder if he owns a Strad-O-Lin. All of that would sound like there are more similarities between two people than what´s normal...
    Thanks for the compliment.
    I would welcome a back-to-back comparison. My Duff has tone bars. It's sugar maple back and sides with a red spruce top.
    I do not have a Strad-O-Lin, but would love to hear yours.
    My other mandos of note are a 2013 Campanella, a 1983 Flatiron A5-2, and a 1925 A jr.
    Nicely done, sir!!

So, a dentist from my home town in SC who played keys, guitar, and sang in garage bands in college (guessing early to mid-1980s) fell deep into BG and turned the family into a band. His wife was a classically trained bassist, so no brainer there. He sang lead and played guitar. Put the 8 year old on mando, 5 year old on banjo, and 3 year old on fiddle. Sunday night signings at church were, ahem, painful for a couple of years. Then it clicked with the younglings, and, man, they got good.

They were at Merlefest sometime in the mid 90s and were heading back to camp around 11 pm when a group around a camp fire noticed the then 13 year old’s mandolin case. They called them over, said their mandolinist had a stomach bug and was back at the bus for the night, and asked her to sit in. The group was Alison Kraus and Union Station when Adam Steffey was with them. I don’t think her feet touched the ground for 3 months. They played til sometime after 1 am, and these world class musicians just welcomed her right in. Awesome folks to do that!!
    Nice tune, nicely done! Thanks
    Nice tune - I dig that tremolo