View RSS Feed

gregjones

Some to thank

Rate this Entry
I'm sittin' in Big Springs, NE with only a pinch of Internet signal strength. Everything loads soooo slow, like dial-up. It gives one time to think as the process unwinds.

There are four Cafe members, I know I'll leave out a bunch, that I'd like to thank for one reason or another:

1: Mike Edgerton. I've learned the hard way that I am a very poor judgment of quality and price of old beater mandolins. I can e-mail Mike and get his opinion of a particular instrument. He takes the time to respond with his advice. If I follow his word, I do OK, if I don't--I get screwed. He's saved me enough money to finally get a decent mandolin instead of blowing it on the junk I would have bought.

2: John McGann. His advice is abundant and everywhere. I should follow a lot more of it, I can't seem to figure out why I don't. I'd be a lot further along with the mandolin if I listened to him. The ONE tip that really works for me is to start learning a new song in the middle, then pick up the first part. I seem to get to the middle (since I start there) instead of stopping halfway through the first because I screwed up. All I have to do now is make it through the second part!!!!

3: Jamie Stanek. His posts are always worth paying attention to. Good advice. I was stuck last winter in Laramie, WY with Internet signal, but no phone service. I couldn't call Cheryl to let her know I was alright, just waiting for the road to open up. I PM'd Jamie back and forth, in the wee hours of the morning, and he called Cheryl to let her know I was safe. Above and beyond the call of a moderator.

4: Jim Richter: There is no way I'd be able to do most of what I do without Jim. His videos and tabs are a large basis of my learning experience. His latest videos have a slowed version of the tune---this has helped me a lot. With no Jim Richter, I'd be struggling along with no clue as to how to do what I want on a mandolin and, would have probably given it up to go back to acoustic blues guitar.

See, I knew I'd leave some folks out.

Mandroid: Once you learn his wit.........you can't go wrong with the advice you dig out of his posts.

Submit "Some to thank" to Facebook Submit "Some to thank" to Yahoo Submit "Some to thank" to Google

Updated Sep-17-2009 at 6:54pm by gregjones (fumble fingers, I type like I play!!!)

Categories
Ramblings

Comments

Thank you, Greg. I know what its like to worry for a loved one.
    Thanks for the nice words Greg and you keep the shiny side up.