View RSS Feed

Mandolin Cafe Blog

A Kansas Nutcracker - Here We Go

Rate this Entry
It's just like playing in a band, only a little larger. I mentioned in an earlier note the upcoming performances I'm involved in with this holiday favorite, done in our community with some mandolins in the orchestra. Last night was our first full rehearsal with just the orchestra.

I've done this production before, but it was 2003 the last time around, and I'm struck by the simple fact that it really is a big band, and anyone that's been in very many bands knows this story.

Someone is always late. Make that a violin player that we had to call at home. "Oh, I forgot". This, the only all-orchestra rehearsal before full dress rehearsals with the dancers and actors.

Someone still takes your breath away every time they play a note, make that the clarinet and flute that sit directly in front of the mandolins. Gotta get those two some choro sheet music and snag them for a gig.

Oh, and there's that person that rushes, and those that drag. And sitting 40 feet from other musicians has its challenges. Like being able to actually hear them. But in return you get to sit right in front of the percussionist.

Cymbals, the 5-string banjo of the orchestra with a better and louder attack.

But it's all good. We await Clara.

Submit "A Kansas Nutcracker - Here We Go" to Facebook Submit "A Kansas Nutcracker - Here We Go" to Yahoo Submit "A Kansas Nutcracker - Here We Go" to Google