View RSS Feed

Mandolin Cafe Blog

Changes and updates to our Builder Database

Rate this Entry
For the past month we've been diligently working through a much needed update of our builder database. In the process we've discovered a few (not suprisingly, out of close to 1,000 builders) that have retired, passed away or have moved on to new ventures. We don't find any of this unusual, but before anyone thinks these folks are all running for the door in this economy, don't worry. They aren't. It's just us updating a lot of data.

inline imageAt this point, we've reviewed about half on the entries and anticipate another 30 days before we finish. You can get an idea how many records are being reviewed by doing a date search (month, followed by a comma and the full year).

As always, we welcome contact from builders and site users who find information about a builder and see it in need of updating (hint, a web site really helps).

One related change in this has been some nice additions to the Eye Candy and Builder of Day listing (found on the home page and the Builder database page). The latter has increased dramatically, and we'll now be rotating 410 different instruments and luthiers from around the world.

From here on out we'll have a long-term plan in place to see that this resource (the only one of its kind on the web for mandolin family instruments) is updated on a more regular basis--at least once annually.

Now, back to work.

Submit "Changes and updates to our Builder Database" to Facebook Submit "Changes and updates to our Builder Database" to Yahoo Submit "Changes and updates to our Builder Database" to Google

Comments

How about end-user reviews? Maybe a specific format like Harmony Central. Limit size but give a way to link to a bigger discussion thread.

I'm just thinking that if I was, say, interested in an Altman it would be convenient to hit the DB find a few reviews and query a few owners.
    How about having a "history" part of the database. I am thinking of Mr. Hutto for example who I would not like to see stricken from the database, be it for a sentimental reason or for the idea to remember builders for history´s sake.

The "retirement" etc. could be noted in the builder entry.
    I didn´t mean the comment to be in "bold". The computer did this to me.