View RSS Feed

Stumbling Toward Competence

Play with people, you go now...

Rate this Entry
Figure that instead of posting yet ANOTHER New Year's resolution to play out with people, and then not do it, I would instead post about when I actually manage to do so...

I am currently in Berkeley on sabbatical research. For many reasons, Berkeley means music to me (at least I have a strong association between the two), so I brought my mandolin along for the trip. Checking the schedules of the 5th String music store and the Freight and Salvage, I see there are MANY opportunities to jam in town.

So last night, I headed to the weekly 5th String open jam. Rowan, our host, immediately reached out to make me feel welcome. This was very nice because I am still somewhat..terrified?...of playing in front of other people.

The place was jam packed (pun unintended), and it broke down into two separate circles mostly to fit everyone in. I just played rhythm and took no breaks--not knowing any of the tunes, and still being somewhat rusty after my latest pause in playing. But the evening went splendidly, and I fully intend to try some breaks at Sunday's F&S slow jam. More later

Submit "Play with people, you go now..." to Facebook Submit "Play with people, you go now..." to Yahoo Submit "Play with people, you go now..." to Google

Comments