View RSS Feed

rodarbal

flat wound vs. round

Rate this Entry
Just restrung my flinthill f style to the jm11 and when I fine tuned it with a snarc, sounds nice when strum open strings but when picking up from the d to a A sting seems one fret off. I retuned it to no avail. I am a beginner manolinist and thought by using better strings over the stock ones it would be a great step up, giving my basic skills the
chance to sound better. The stock G string had a dud sound to it. Is this a matter of just some strings make it sing and some just don't or is there something else I need to check. The bridge (string) height looks even all the way down the neck, and its relatively easy to play. I know its not a gibson or a fender but its actually a solid wood well made entry level mandolin. Any advise from the sages is appreciated.
Best Regards
Rich

Submit "flat wound vs. round" to Facebook Submit "flat wound vs. round" to Yahoo Submit "flat wound vs. round" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Rich,

How old are the JM11's? I had something similar happen, and it turns out there was a bad batch with (if I recall) a D string that was wonky. It drove me crazy, as I could not get it to play in tune. This was somewhere around a year ago. Ted replaced the strings for me with a new set, as he had been having issues with the supplier. One possible explanation, at least. Sid
    Hi Rich,

I think Sid is right. I, too, had one of the bad-batch D strings a while back. Ted replaced it quickly and all was well. I've used JM11s a bunch of times and really like them, so I think the bad Ds are rare. I guess you just got lucky

If you contact Ted, I am sure he'll fix you up with a replacement D string.

Best wishes, Bob
    I just got them in the mail a couple of days ago, bought two sets. Hope the other set is OK. I left a note with Ted, I am sure I will hear back. Thanks for your reply, I thought maybe my ear was off.