View RSS Feed

Rissa

Watch and learn

Rate this Entry
So I brought my mandolin to a jam session Sunday, first one with the Loar. It was a bit of a struggle, since I just learned some basic chords and have had no practice actually playing back-up. I still don't understand the whole "in the key of" thing to help figure out chords, and I sure am having a hard time figuring out learning to play by ear. It's a skill that I will develop (I hope) eventually. So to get through tunes, I watched the other mandolin picker and tried to follow what he was playing. I managed to get through Old Joe Clark that way, with gusto too. Once I picked up the chords and tune, I just went for it and didn't hold back. Once it was over, I got "Nice mandolin playing there." Sure it was directed to both, but it was still nice to hear I did something right.

I guess that's how I learn things. You can tell me about it, I can read about it. But just show me how to do it, and gosh it will get done. I just wonder if it's a valid method of learning to play the mandolin. Because I just can't figure out how to play by ear, and I've realized by attending jams that most people learn tunes by ear. I'm one of the few people who brings a boat load of sheet music and it holds everyone back (and myself for that matter). I'd like to not be tied down by my books and binders of music. But I'll be darned if I can figure out how people do without.

Submit "Watch and learn" to Facebook Submit "Watch and learn" to Yahoo Submit "Watch and learn" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I started out "paper trained" and it took me a while to get the hang of learning by ear. What really helped me was to have a little portable recorder. They are digital now, but back in the day they were cassette. Record someone playing the tune at the jam, or record the jam, (Ive done both). In the privacy of your own home make pot of coffee and play the tunes over and over. Work out where your fingers go, and then write that down on music paper. Then play what you have written and see if it matches. Keep going back and forth. Eventually your ears and your eyes and your fingers will get work together, and you wont need to write it down.
    Thanks for the comment and suggestions. I think slowing down (way, way down) music should help. Even during a "slow" tune, I can't keep up. My hand just doesn't know how to move that fast yet to pick out notes and chords without seeing it. Of course the people at the jam make things seem so very easy, but they've also been playing for more than 2 weeks.
    Ahh heck... you've only been playing 2 weeks ? Ha ! *slaps Knee* ...
    ¡ No Te Preocupes ! ...(don't worry !)...
    it'll kinda just all fall into place the more you jam.
    Honestly i don't even know how i can do it. it just emerged. i was lost at first too. i started out playing Bass Guitar.

when the guitarist was playing a rythym piece i would just slide my finger around (kinda quiet) desperately trying to find the root notes. once i found them i'd shout - " Got it ! " ...and nod. if they know you're new then they will probably (or should) just keep on that jam awhile to get tight and help you along. that's how the guys i jammed with were - way back when...

...and it just all worked out over time.
    i also had the guitarist call out to me the key or chord as he was playing. i then just played my favorite scale pattern for that chord or key... intil i could develope more.