View RSS Feed

lflngpicker

On Playing Other Instruments before the Mandolin (Gasp!)

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Note: I wrote this in reference to a thread in which advice was given about where to begin to learn the mandolin. It so happened that the individual who started the thread had been a guitar player first, a not to uncommon place to begin.

The mandolin is truly its own unique and special instrument. Whether first a guitar player or not, it is a great joy to begin to play and forge a life playing. It is not a negative thing about the mandolin to suggest that it has similarities and crossover with other instruments. A violin is strung and tuned the same. Playing the violin in school helped me adapt to the mandolin more quickly.

The guitar all the more. A guitarist who plays the mandolin does so because it is an addition, and for me the mandolin became my passion, at times replacing the guitar as my everyday instrument. I wouldn't call it a small guitar, though a few have said that while I was performing, not knowing what it was (I mildly dislike that reference to the mandolin). All instruments when learned are a benefit to the player's growth--- i.e., voice, piano, bass, guitar, slide guitar, and learning various styles of music have a synergistic role in the growth of a musician. Knowing the fretboard, being completely different on a guitar as contrasted with a mandolin, actually increases dexterity and creates associative relationships between scales, chords and technique, whether holding the mandolin, hand position, or otherwise.

Having a great baseball swing is not a detriment to a new golfer, unless he is unteachable. I doubt that is very often the case when a mandolin player has a guitar background.

Some play one instrument and do so expertly, or others competently. They may see no need to clutter their musical life with more than the devotion and love they have for that one instrument. Music is a very personal experience.

Some will find great satisfaction and success when focusing on one instrument. While others much more talented than I will be excellent on multiple instruments. I was fortunate in the 1970's to play in a country-rock band that had a talented man who played our pedal steel, acoustic lead, and banjo-- all with professionalism. As a singer/songwriter I have always been in awe.

I think the quest to be a better musician drew me to the mandolin, but somewhat by accident. A wonderful old teens Gibson A was passed down to me, and I was overjoyed when the concepts began to click (I passed that Gibson on to one of my three adult sons who had a great desire and ability to play it). Now, it is hard for me not to pick up the mandolin everyday to learn something new.

I won't apologize for being an accomplished guitar player long before I was playing the mandolin with a serious desire to really grow as a mandolin player. But, I know the difference between myself and those who are great mandolin players who in that sense, may be more single-minded than I.

Thank you to all who have a tremendous grasp of the mandolin and those who are enthusiastically pursuing that same ability. Your posts, support and encouragement make this Mandolin Cafe a great benefit and a friendly resource.

Submit "On Playing Other Instruments before the Mandolin (Gasp!)" to Facebook Submit "On Playing Other Instruments before the Mandolin (Gasp!)" to Yahoo Submit "On Playing Other Instruments before the Mandolin (Gasp!)" to Google

Comments