View RSS Feed

Mandolin Cafe Blog

Entering The Golden Age of Online Music Education

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
If there's one thing obvious about 2015, it was a year that really marked the true beginning of a golden age of online learning via video lessons for those of us that apply pick or fingers to strings. We, the mandolin public, eager to learn, we're the winners.

ArtistWorks has been at it for awhile now, and really led the way with a new educational outlet for mandolin, guitar, banjo, fiddle and other stringed instruments. The candle on the Peghead Nation one-year birthday cake is barely out and they're clearly on the rise. But the internet can be a great tool for leveling the playing field, and Skype lessons which been operating for years remain a viable alternative for many.

The number of services that provide outlets for musicians to offer lessons are clearly on the rise. We predict 2016 will see continued growth, and those looking for someone that matches their specific interest have a wide range of exceptional choices:

Mike Compton - Lessons through Peghead Nation
Matt Flinner - Lessons through GoToTraining
Sharon Gilchrist - Lessons through Peghead Nation
Caterina Lichtenberg - ArtistWorks School of Classical Mandolin
Mike Marshall - ArtistWorks School of Bluegrass Mandolin
Don Stiernberg - Lessons through SoundSlice
Joe K. Walsh - Lessons through Peghead Nation

On the Skype side it would be difficult to list them all, but would easily include: Wayne Benson, Adam Steffey, Paul Glasse, Rich DelGrosso, Don Julin, Marla Fibish and Radim Zenkl.

If you're already looking ahead to 2016 and wanting to pick up some valuable new musical information, it would be hard to go wrong with the really fine choices we have in front of us.

The only question we have is, who did we leave out worthy of mentioning?

Submit "Entering The Golden Age of Online Music Education" to Facebook Submit "Entering The Golden Age of Online Music Education" to Yahoo Submit "Entering The Golden Age of Online Music Education" to Google

Updated Dec-29-2015 at 4:03pm by Scott Tichenor

Categories
General Mandolin Comments

Comments

Definitely the golden age!

I've been taking lessons with Matt Flinner for about 18 months now and I can't speak highly enough of the format and the lessons each week. I am very self motivated and thought I could "teach myself" and it was going fine, or so I thought, for a year, and then I took Flinners BG 101 course in fall of 2014 and it's been a different world ever since, taking advancing classes as my skills progress.
    I'm learning much faster than I ever would have on my own.

I love that with the advent of these skype lessons, and online schools, the cost is more reasonable, and the level of talent you can align yourself with is incredibly high!

Thanks to Scott for managing the cafe and to all of these instructors for putting in the time to help us reach our goals!

Some of the aforementioned are great players and even better teachers! It's a gift.
    I've recently taken one of Matt Flinner's courses and, yes, it was an absolute joy. I'd like to sign up for more. There are a couple other online resources that are brilliant. Baron Collin-Hill's Mandolessons are magnificent for someone like me needing vital guidance on the how-to basics and looking to expand my repertoire. And Brad Laird's lessons have been invaluable.
    How about Alan Bibey. His laid back and friendly approach to teaching licks and helping to build a fretboard "vocabulary" is wonderful. I know for a fact that he does Skype lessons. He breaks things down nicely and will send audio recordings to help develope your ear. On top of that he's a really nice guy.
    I've enjoyed lessons from Artistworks(Mike Marshall) and Baron Collings(Mandolessons.com). The cost of each is very reasonable, excellent videography, audio, and explanations of everything they are showing. Availability of tabs and music on both sites are very helpful if one needs that.

A plus for me is the availability to review over and over the same lesson, and at any time of day or night that works for me at that moment.

d
    I agree, we have access to some of the very best at affordable prices, flexible schedules, and various formats.

I've been Skyping with Emory Lester for two years now. I like his approach to playing mandolin and his teaching style is very laid back. He's very approachable and willing to entertain any number of questions from this mando newbie. He sends audio files of tunes for ear training and jam tracks to play along with with.
    You left out Banjo Ben Clarke - surely worth a mention.
    Quote Originally Posted by maudlin mandolin
    You left out Banjo Ben Clarke - surely worth a mention.
    Yep banjo Ben was how I learned my first few breaks. Him and mandolessons.com really got me off on the right track.

I had no clue Mike Compton was on peghead now. Im definitely looking into that!