Musicianship Level for Partita II?

1. cashreg
    cashreg
    Hi!

I recently began learning how to play the Allemande from Partita II in D minor. I've only been playing for a few months, and I realize that this piece is way over my head. That being said, when (in terms of level of musicianship)should I revisit this piece? If I continue to play it now, could I develop some bad habits that would persist into the future? Also, is there a better Bach solo violin piece that would be better suited for a beginning intermediate player?
  2. TMitchell
    TMitchell
    Find a good transcription for violin for any of the Cello Suites. In general they're a little simpler in structure than the partitas but still challenging and beautiful. Suite No. 1 (transcribed to D major) was my learning piece for most of the first year I played, and I still use it as a warmup all the time.
  3. cashreg
    cashreg
    Thank you very much, TMitchell! I'll look around for some of those.
  4. Tacomando
    Tacomando
    I'd recommend the Two Part Inventions as fun, not-too-challenging pieces - especially if you have someone willing to play the second part with you.
  5. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    I realize I'm joining in a little late, but to answer your original question I think you should stick with the Allemande, even if you can't play all of it right now. I think it's a good way to take a look at your right hand technique, because for the most part the notes aren't that hard. What can be tricky about this movement is dealing with the different rhythmic values. An excellent exercise would be to go through some passages and work out the pick direction without worrying about the notes - just get the rhythm down. Figure out how you want to execute the alternating triplet, 16th, and 32nd note passages before you even look at the pitches involved.

Also, don't worry so much about being on the right level to learn the piece right away. One thing I've learned from playing Bach for many years is that every time you go back to it, you learn something useful, even if you can't play a whole movement. Professional violinists take years to master these pieces, so take your time!
  6. bratsche
    bratsche
    You don't mention if you are new to the mando only, or if you play any other instruments. Ken makes very good points that I can identify with on a personal level; and the suggestion of the solo cello sonatas is good, too. I "know" the d minor Partita, as I began studying it at age 19 and worked on it extensively on violin, and then later, viola. I don't consider myself an advanced mando player by any means, though, so I am struggling with the Ciaconna movement which gets a little better each year, but I'm not there with it yet. Good luck in your endeavors!

bratsche
  7. cashreg
    cashreg
    Thanks for the great advice! I moved away from the piece in order to get a better grasp on a few things. I'll make sure to revisit it soon, though.
  8. stevenmando
    stevenmando
    I have found in my own experience that i learned a lot when tackling a difficult piece of music in the beginning when i was learning to read music i would take it measure by measure listen to a recording of the music and play the notes and when i came to a part i did not understand i would take out my music dictionary and learn what that note was and by this method i learned to read music i think a good music dictionary is a great tool for any musician and especially one thats learning to read music and also computer programes out there but the fun is in the learning which is on going, have fun .