Week #30 ~ Cattle in the Cane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Whatever you do, don't try to learn the tune from this. I ran out of time to learn the tune because I spent so long doing the backing track, so instead here's 2 minutes 30 of me making it up as I go along. Less "Cattle in the Cane" and more "Mad Cow"...

3. Susanne
    Susanne
    Well, OS, it's only Friday yet so you actually have a week left to learn it...! But it does sound good and that you are good at improvising.
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Susi, and you're quite right, I only meant it tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure I will learn it this week
  5. Susanne
    Susanne
    I remember this tune was a horror when we played it years ago in the Song & Tunes projects on the general board, but I managed to play it when I found Cattle in the corn, that was slightly different. I downloaded the pdf for Cattle in the corn now too. I probably would be able to find some Cattle in the cane kind of version if I had some time to listen to it and play along some recording, but I never have time for that. I seriously think that a week is a very short time, at least for me, to learn a tune to make a decent recording. I think we had Tune of the month on S&T projects, and on the melodeon forum it's the tune of the month, which is great for us not-so-experienced (in accordion context, read: VERY much beginner) players. Anyway, as long as the tunes are not flipped out stuff like Southern Flavor (at least it scared me off, even if it may be easier than I think) or that Dawg thing, it's possible to do at least something.

And it IS quite fun to record something just on the spot like you did. I must say I was tempted to do the same when I realized it worked so fine to play Cattle in the corn. But I'll wait... I'm also waiting for new mandolin strings in the mailbox, and it might sound better with new strings.
  6. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Well done, David, and that's no bull....
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    I haven't herd better... Nice one David.
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Oh, come on lads, pull the udder one.
  9. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    OS, I don't know this week's tune but whatever that was it sounded good.
  10. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Susi, I find learning and recording a tune a week a bit of a challenge too which is why my posts are almost always late. I'm STILL working at EMD on and off and hope to be able to record it soon. This group really has been great to motivate to to keep learning tunes though. I don't think I learned more than one or two tunes all last year.
  11. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    OS, that was some moo-ving playing. I like the way you used parts of Bovines in the Barley in there.
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, here's what I did. I didn't really listen to any videos of people playing this tune. I looked through the TEF files on mandozine, and picked the 3rd one, the one listed as 'intermediate' arranged by mike stangeland.

I slowed it WAY down with the TefView, and practiced it ad nauseum, speeding it up every few times through.

I decided I was finally ready to try to video it, and this was my first take. A little bobble in the beginning, but then, I didn't screw up! Now I know this is probably about a quarter of the speed it should be.... but, someone said, 'take a tune, and make it your own'... so here it is!

13. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Nice playing Barb. I missed the bobble even, just clean picking. And good to know which version is now "official".

I do think you guys are milking the puns a bit though...
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey, I sure won't claim to the be 'official tune'! I just found another one online, so I'm working on that one, too!
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    So, I found a YouTube by this guy, Plectosaurus, of this version, slowed down to teach someone called Willie. Great learning video!

Not sure of the key it's in.... anyone know?

I hope ya'll are as MOOOv-ED by these videos as you are of OS's!

16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well I certainly am, great job Barbara. It's time I took the bull by the horns and learned this tune, and your videos will help a lot. I think it behooves me to do it properly. It's in the key of A.
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here we are then, proper version this time.

18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ah.... so THAT is what it's really supposed to sound like!!!! Do you have ABC or notation for the version you learned?
  19. SteveJ
    SteveJ
    Well I don't have OS's transcription but I have the song by Sam Bush so I "fixed" one of the Mandozine's transcriptions and here it is in abc.

X:1
    T: Cattle in the Cane % title
    C: Sam Bush
    M:4/4 % meter
    L:1/8 % length of shortest note
    Q:160 % tempo
    K:A % key
    V:1 % voice 1
    AB|:"A"(ce)ef edcd| ecef =ged=c|"G" B=GB=c dedB|=GBeB dBAG|
    "A"ceee efed|cAcd eafa|"G"(3f=gf ec (3B=cB AF|1"E" (3EFG AB "A"A2 AB:|2 "E"(3EFG AB "A"A2 (E2|
    "Am"A2)A2 A,2A,B,|=CEDC A,=G, (3A,CA, |"C"=G,=CA,B, CDE=G|AB=cd edcB|
    "Am"=ce (3BcB ABA=G|E=GED =CEDC|"C"E=CE=G ED=CE|"E"D=CB,C"Am"[A,2](=GA)|
    "Am"A(A,A,2) A,2A,B,|=CEDC A,=G, (3A,CA,|"C"=G,=CA,B, CDE=G|AB=cd edcB|
    "Am"=cdea =gbag|e=ge^d =d=cA=G|"C"E=G=cG BcAG|"E"ED=CB,"Am"[A4E4A,4]|

Searching around I found this guy playing a close version of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8LilmqHLaQ
  20. theCOOP
    theCOOP
    Wow, how quickly you folk learna new tune!!

And that ABC stuff as yet means nothing to me. I looked up the history of it, but as yet know not how to use it.

One thing at a time. Still working on Miss McLeod's
  21. SteveJ
    SteveJ
    Sorry about that. I come from a Irish flute background where abc is used alot.
    Copy and paste the ABC file starting at the X:1 into this website

http://www.folkinfo.org/songs/abcconvert.php

And then hit submit. It will give you a pdf of the music and a midi file to hear.
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    There are several programs that the members use... I utilize the ABC's this way.
    "copy" (do you know how to do that on your computer... highlight, then 'control' +'c') the ABC. Then go to http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html and "paste" ('control' + 'v') the ABC into the converter. When you submit it, you get the notation. If you want to print the notation, be sure to click on 'pdf sheet music'... also note that you can click 'midi' and hear the tune.
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I don't have tab, I'm afraid, I learned it mostly by listening to the version on the "Bluegrass 95" CD (which has bluegrass versions of a lot of great fiddle tunes and the album features both Adam Steffey and Wayne Benson on Mandolin). What I did was to use the "Transcribe!" program to slow it down to 50% speed and then played along until I got it close enough. I don't play exactly what Adam Steffey plays on the track, but more a sort of distillation of what all the different instruments play. It's only recently that I've started to be able to learn tunes quickly that way - when we first started this group I would have had to write it out first in tab and learn it. A year ago I would have probably have needed someone else's tab to get me started. This group is great ear training.

SteveJ has a link to one of Matt Raum's videos, it's worth taking a look at Matt's web site and his YouTube channel - he has written a couple of Mel Bay mando books and has recently started doing some YouTubes, I hope he'll do more. Matt did a great version of Kitchen Girl too.
  24. Susanne
    Susanne
    Nice books. I would just like to be able to see more of the inside of them before buying. I'm not so good at following books anyway. Right now I'm quite interested in working on some mandolin technique, mainly to make my playing sound more relaxed, but I also have a crosspicking book that I bought this summer, that will have some good exercises, and I also got some good exercises from a mandolin player who would give me lessons (then it never happened, but I may take some lesson later on).

As a Mac nerd I noticed that Matt Raum uses the same software for his website as I do.
  25. Susanne
    Susanne
    Finally I have opportunity to sit down and watch your vids. Great job, both of you!!! Today I got the urge to actually try to improve my mandolin playing, which means that I have to do something that is a bit too difficult, so I'm going to try the Cattle in the cane version and NOT Cattle in the corn

I'll see how that goes. Very nice to listen to your videos.
  26. Susanne
    Susanne
    Yay, for once I was brave and tried to learn a tune that was completely new to me AND not too easy. I've practiced a few hours and decided to record it, then I'll do it again in the end of the week, to see the difference...hope there will be any

27. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Nice Susi, That's the version I am aiming at more or less. This tune uses all the strings and I think that's part of its charm.
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, very nice... who provided your guitar accompaniment? Also, which source did you use for that version?
  29. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Good stuff Susi.
  30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's a video before I go to bed. Sloppy but faster! Ya'll who have rhythm guitar accompaniment have it a bit easier, I think, than trying this totally solo..

31. Susanne
    Susanne
    That's nice, Barbara! You're doing great also without guitar backing, and you're playing the hard version too!
    You know, I was rather discouraged of all the versions on Tabledit, Alltabs, you name it, with thousands of notes going up and down all the time, and tabs 3 pages long... but I found a video on You Tube, where a guy, Jon Meek, teaches it, and plays it fast and slow. He also refers to his website where there is tab and notation, a nice and more playable version than most other versions, in my opinon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82SROn6fzFc
    http://www.bluegrasslessonsonline.com

My husband came home when I was doing the video, so I asked him to play the guitar just for the fun of it.....
  32. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks Susi~ It's amazing how many different variations there are for this tune! I went through them till I found one that sounded 'right' to my ear.... great accompaniment by your hubby! Lucky you!
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Gee, no one has posted anything on this message board in almost 24 hours... what's up?

So, just for grins, here's this tune on my Petersen OM!

34. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    I'm here lurking, if not contributing. That sounded very nice, Barbara. I'll try to post a version in a few days. Tom
  35. Susanne
    Susanne
    Yeah, I'm amazed too about the silence! Nice work on the OM!
  36. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    Susi and Barb,
    You both sound great. I've been away. Attended a jam for Ohio pickers over the weekend. Must be on mandolin overload, haven't picked it up since. Of course, other things are demanding attention too.
  37. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Here is my sloppy version. Just got time to work on it earlier today, and then went to work. So I just got home and tried to record it. I might post another video after I practice more. But for now here it is!

38. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Sorry I'm coming in so late. here's my try:

39. Susanne
    Susanne
    Nice job, Chris. Another thing - I think your videos are such good quality. What are you using? How do you get such good light - and clear picture? I probably have lots to learn about using my video camera...
  40. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    I'm using an HD camera called the Flip Mino HD. Thanks for the comments.
  41. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Bringing this one back.....just learned this tune and still got to work on it more. This is Butch's version.

42. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Nice, Rob. Your notes really flow into each other on this tune and I like the tone you're getting. Great picking!
  43. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Thanks, Don! I had some obvious moments of "improvisation" but it's a great tune. Thanks for the comment on my tone! I've been working on it.

Let's see some other versions!
  44. jamann
    jamann
    Rob, I agree with Don, well done. I enjoyed your take on this very cool tune.
  45. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Thanks, Jamann!
  46. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    A bit late maybe I was struggling with this fiddletune last week. I fell in love with this tune played by Sam Bush when I heard it on the mandolin extravaganza cd. I like these kind of tunes very much.... Not as hard to play as I expected, but the second part is tricky. I made a guitar backup first.
    Here's my version;

47. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really nice job, Hendrik. The B part sounds like a lot of fun. I've been meaning to go back to this week's tune ever since I joined here. Thanks for bringing it back to the top.
  48. jonny250
    jonny250
    Very nice Luurtie, you always make these tunes sound so smooooth!!!
  49. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I love this old tune. I was enthralled with Norman Blake's medley on the Directions LP a couple years ago, and I searched and watched all y'all's videos back then. I finally got around to learning the tune, and tried something different by playing against a funky midi track.

50. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    What a wonderful version Mark. It sounds so different with the mechanic sounding track, but I love the combination with your mandolin.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast