Week #31 ~ Old Joe Clark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Wow, I almost forgot this was Friday!

The winner this week is Old Joe Clark.. ya'll tell me... Old Time / Traditional or Bluegrass?

Here is what nigel gatherer says is a simplified version.

Traditional & Folk music notation is here

Digital Tradition Mirror

abc tune search results

Found this ABC

X:25
    T:Old Joe Clark
    C:Traditional
    R:Reel
    M:4/4
    L:1/4
    K:Amix
    |:"A"ef=g>f|edc2|ef=g/g/f|e3e|ef=gf|edc2|AcB"G"=G/G/|"A"A2A2:||
    |:AA/A/AA|edc2|AA/A/Ac|"G"B3B|"A"AAAA|edc>c|Ac"G"BG|1"A"A2A2:|2"A"A3e| 3"A"A4|]

Wikipedia about Old Joe Clark
  2. Susanne
    Susanne
    WOHOO Finally Old Joe Clark!!!!!!!!!
    Definitely oldtime, but it depends on who you ask
  3. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Finally a song I already had down!

4. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Here it is in AEAE. This is really fun to play in cross tuning!

5. Susanne
    Susanne
    That was gorgeous, Kyle!!!!! Lovely stuff! You can do so much fun with this tune
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle you beat me to it! Good job! I still have my Weber in cross tuning from last week, and I am getting ready to video it, as well! But, we are having probably our last warmish sunny day for the season, so I've got to go outside and tend to some duties! Stay tuned for my cross-tuned Old Joe Clark!
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent job Kyle, and very speedy too. Here's my version:

8. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Thanks guys! I loved it OS!
  9. Susanne
    Susanne
    Nice work, OS! Here's my first take:

I'll see what I can do with it during the week. Hope this week will be better than last week... (never got around to do anything more with last week's tune because of some life issues...)
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounds great, Susi, sometimes the first take is the best anyway
  11. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    I thought I'd give it a shot, so here's my mandolin version.

I think of Old Joe Clark as primarily a banjo tune and I've been playing it on the 5 string banjo for more years than I care to consider. Here's how I play it these days. Tom

12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great stuff Tom. Love that clawhammer banjo.
  13. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    You folks all sound good.
    Here is my basic version of the old traditional fiddle tune.

Terry
  14. Susanne
    Susanne
    Tom: awesome!!!!!!! I didn't know you played the clawhammer!! More of that pleeeeeeeeez!!! Love it!
    TDMpicker, well done, and nice to see a video of yours, I'm not sure I have before this one.
  15. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Thanks, I don't play the banjo too often lately and am kind of rusty. Too much mandolin, perhaps. Next chance I get I'll try another one the group has done, maybe Soldier's Joy.
  16. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    I say it's old time and therefore to be played on any instrument you like!

Here it is on my octave. I need to play this thing more often, so this is a great opportunity!

17. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Very nice. That Octave Mandolin has a haunting sound - I like it.
  18. Susanne
    Susanne
    I agree - nice indeed!
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice to see some different instruments. Here's a scruggs style version on my Deering banjo

20. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    Darn it...stop tempting me to take up yet another instrument.

Great banjo, Moldy!
  21. Susanne
    Susanne
    I don't usually like Scruggs banjo, but that was real nice, OS!
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    dj coffey, tell us about your OM... sounds great!
  23. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    It's a two year old Weber Bridger - off the rack from Mandolin Brothers. I really like it!
  24. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Since everyone was playing it on different instruments I thought I would join in on guitar!

25. Susanne
    Susanne
    Nice job, Kyle.
  26. Susanne
    Susanne
    I wanted to do this with song as well but my singing is sooo creepy bad right now so I decided not to. But I tried to record with my Zoom and realized that it isn't my playing that is (at least not too) bad, it is mostly the microphone and speakers on the computer that are bad. Here's the result. First time I do a slideshow-with-music kind of video.

27. Tony Avitua
    Tony Avitua
    That was nice Susi! You should have sang. I happen to know you are a very good singer too. Hmmm, can I come over and play with your Dino Baffetti? Pretty please!
  28. Susanne
    Susanne
    Hahahaha, hi Tony and a GREAT BIG WELCOME HUG!!!! Yeah, I know I can sing and I actually sang last night when we met with the prayer group and it sounded quite good, but today on Old Joe Clark it did NOT sound good. I'll sing another time, I still have old songs of the week to do, like Wayfaring stranger and I am a pilgrim.
    Any mandolin in sight yet? Hey you others, if anyone is in California, could you please help Tony find a decent but inexpensive mandolin to start on?
  29. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    Sounds nice Susia.
    I checked out your blog. Good Stuff.
    Terry
  30. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    OK I cheated (I already know this one)

31. Susanne
    Susanne
    That's no cheating I think most of us knew this one. It's the first tune you learn when starting to learn mandolin. At least in the books I've used... Well played. What's the maker of your mandolin? Always curious about people's instruments...
  32. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Thanks, I like your version better -I need to put in more double stops.

My mandolin was made by Gary Tope

here are some pics:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...highlight=tope
  33. Susanne
    Susanne
    That's a nice looking mandolin!!! Double stops are quite easy to throw into this tune, you can use them most of the time, actually since the A and E strings drone well together, then when you go to the G chord, use the G on the D strings and the B on the A strings, that's what I do anyway. This is a fun and easy tune to play around with.
  34. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    OK Susi, come clean, you have two fiddles in that collection. You must give us a taste.
  35. Susanne
    Susanne
    Oh no! Hoped you wouldn't see them

Actually, I planned to do this on the fiddle because it's the one tune I can play almost decently on the fiddle. I picked up the fiddle yesterday and quickly put it down again. But I guess I should expect myself to play well after month of absence from the fiddle. I'll try to practice a bit and then try to post something. Probably won't be until next week, though.
  36. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    Susi,
    Your video production skills continue to amaze. Nicely done. I'm going to try to get back in here with this one. I cross tuned my mandolin the other day so I'll probably try this one cross tuned.
    Best,
    D.
  37. Susanne
    Susanne
    Oh, cool. Crosstuning is fun Thanks for the compliments.
  38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Finally getting around to recording this. Played on my Weber Bridger A mandolin, tuned AA EE AA EE.

I have known this tune, but, unlike most of you, it's never been one I've played....

39. Susanne
    Susanne
    Oh, Barbara, that rocks!! You do some kind of chording that simply rocks!!! Funky!
  40. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, thanks!
  41. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You did wake up the cat - just not for very long Good job!
  42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I don't think she really woke up... just changed positions in her sleep, haha! Thanks!
  43. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Awesome job everyone! Here's mine. Kinda similar to OS's version.

44. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice from both Chris and Mr Hansen. It occurred to me that if you put them both together in cross tuning you get something like this. Note the capo - this lets me tune GDGD so my strings don't break this time.

45. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    Great Job by all. OS would you happen to have your version in Tab. I have been trying to watch the video to figure it out but tab would really save my eyes. Thanks
  46. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Which one do you want Dean - the crosstuning version or the regular one?
  47. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    The regular version. I really like some of the licks that you were using to keep the song from slipping into a repeating loop. Great work. Thanks, Dean
  48. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Dean. I've put the tab here. I've tabbed the first A and B parts, and then the 3rd A part which has a little variation in it. I hope that's enough to get you started.
  49. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Dean, has your video shown up on YouTube itself? The way to embed a YouTube video, copy the code in the youtube url after the "=" sign. Type your reply (post reply not quick reply) type your message, click the 'tube' icon, paste the url code you copied, that should result in your video being embedded. If that doesn't work, must be some kind of glitch?
  50. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Again, better late than never....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast