Waiting for delivery of my new RM-1

1. Yukon_Don
    Yukon_Don
    Yesterday I ordered a new RM-1 from Artisan Guitars in Nashville. Anxiously I await delivery. I ordered the action lowered a bit to .060 on an inch over the twelfth fret. Bill Warmoth at Artisan Guitars was very helpful.

Does anybody have string recommendations for the RM-1?

I have three other mandolins. My primary mandolin is a Mix New Millennium carbon fiber “A” model. I sometimes play my Ovation MM68-7LTD (The Book Mandolin). The Ovation is a limited edition beautiful mandolin. Finally, I have a Martin traveling mandolin. Considering the Martin's small size and stout construction it sounds particularly good.

Yukon_Don
    Anchorage, Alaska
  2. chasgrav
    chasgrav
    JazzMando strings work very well on the RM-1. They give it a smooth, woody sound, and eliminate that slight bit of harshness that the resonator can bring.

FWIW, I'm also noticing that the mandolin "plays in" over time, and sounds a lot better now (a few months later) than the day it arrived. Enjoy!!!!
  3. JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK
    Congratulations Yukon_Don -- you will love it. I also had the action on mine lowered a bit before I got it, and the shop did a great job. It's very easy to play. And I've got Thomastiks on mine (can't get Jazzmando strings over here in the UK), and would second the suggestion of flatwounds.

Have fun with it when it arrives! The waiting must be tough ...
  4. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    Could someone please explain "JazzMando" strings - Like JC, I live in the UK and have never heard of them. I'd thought of using Thomastics to try and calm the harsh edge - I bought a set a while ago for my '15 A but have yet to fit them. I'm reasonably happy with the action although I intend to take the nut down when I get chance. I suspect its set up at the factory to accommodate slide players.
  5. chasgrav
    chasgrav
    They're available at JazzMando.com http://jazzmando.com/buy_strings_and_stuff.shtml

I've never tried the Thomastics, but they're both flatwounds, so probably similar.
  6. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    Thanks - just ordered a couple of sets. The Thomastics are around twice the price.
  7. JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK
    As I understand it, Jazzmando strings are much the same as Thomastiks. Does it work out cheaper to order them from the US, Ray? I get mine from a German site, which is cheaper than UK dealers. Maybe I should also be getting them from the States though?
  8. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    I'll PM you.
    R
  9. bevb
    bevb
    Hi, I've got one on order in Uk, should be here after New year, looking forward to it ! Interesting reading all this 'stuff' in advance, Thanks.
  10. JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK
    Where did you order it from bevb? I thought Trevor had one in stock, but maybe Ray(T) grabbed his last one?
  11. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    There was still one left at TAMCO when I picked mine up. They sounded identical but I liked the brass tuners on mine whereas t'other one had chrome. I assume that it has gone to a good home as Trevor's website is now advertising that they'll be back in stock in January.

I've just had the nut sorted - individual string heights were different - and a set-up would be something worth looking at if anyone is contemplating buying one. The next thing will be a good workout and lube for the tuners and a screw-on strap button.
    Ray
  12. JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK
    The E string on mine could sound better, I think. When the strings are due for a change, I'm going to take it to Dave King for a set up from a reso expert. I love this mandolin, though -- really interestingly different tone.
  13. bevb
    bevb
    Sorry late replying here ! Trevor sold out, had to wait for a re-order...coming in the post tomorrow, can't wait.
  14. JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK
    Has it arrived? How do you like it?
  15. bevb
    bevb
    It's lovely !! Keep picking it up n' noodling. Can't wait to try it out in session next week.
  16. tburcham
    tburcham
    Bev

concur with the Jazzmando flatwound strings on the RM-1. These provide plenty of volume and produce a even more lyrical tone from the RM-1.