Christmas Tunes

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    very sweet indeed, Greg and daughter
  2. GHall
    GHall
    Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. And I agree, GKWilson, the future is with the kids. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!
  3. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    bump
  4. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Happy Holidays to everyone.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Gustav Holst: In The Bleak Midwinter
    Arranged for instrumental quartet by Albert Folop

From IMSLP:
    http://imslp.org/wiki/In_the_Bleak_M...lst,_Gustav%29

This arrangement of Holst's Christmas carol was originally for four viols, but I've adapted it for mandolin quartet (two mandolins, tenor guitar, mandocello).

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  6. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Real nice version of the bleak midwinter Martin. Here is Angels We Have Heard on High
  7. crisscross
    crisscross
    The pump organ makes for a nice backup for the mandolin.

Here's Rudolph on a tenor guitar
  8. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recording of Rudolph cc. Here's to a White Christmas.
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice combination of pump organ and mando again!
    For a White Christmas, there must be snow!
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Ding Dong Merrily On High

Thoinot Arbeau: Branle de'l Official (Orchésographie, 1589)
    Arranged by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni.
    From "Evelyn's Big Book for Mandolins 2015" (available from Amazon).

This is a renaissance dance tune from one of the principal collections of early dance music, the "Orchésographie" by Thoinot Arbeau (1519-1595).

The tune is now, however, overwhelmingly known as the Christmas carol "Ding Dong Merrily On High" after words were added by George Ratcliffe Woodward in 1924.

This arrangement (thanks, Evelyn!) is for contra dance band, taking it away from the carol and back to its roots as a dance tune. Played on two mandolins and two tenor guitars.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  11. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    All very enjoyable arrangements! And Crisscross that's a clever Trek touch there with the Cap'n Picard pic, guess it'd be "Let it snow, make it so".

A Christmas video I posted earlier in another thread: Calypso Carol with mandolin tab + backing track etc.
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    "Still, still, still, weil's Kindlein schlafen will" (Hush, hush, hush, for the little child wants to sleep!)

This is a traditional Christmas carol, originally from Salzburg in Austria but now widely sung all over the German-speaking countries. Also works as a lullaby at all times of the year.

My recording is based on an anonymous harmony from a children's book of German folk songs.

Played as a trio of two mandolins and tenor guitar.

1890s Ceccherini mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin

Martin
  13. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Martin, that's a pretty tune, nicely played too.

Here's what I've been up to today, it's in the key of G because it's easier to play...

Hark The Herald Angels Sing:

(or direct link)

An old friend clued me in to the fancy jazz chords, I wrote down what he told me and then I adjusted it to suit what I thought sounded ok, the diagonal lines are for "slash chords" which just means that the bass note is different:

The backing is modified from the ChordPulse "Jazz Ballad" setting, by "modified" I mean that I adjusted volumes via the ChordPulse "Play" menu's "Mixer" option:

14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice! I especially enjoyed Martin's "Still, still", which takes me back several years to a particularly nice Christmas in Germany.

Here's what we did just before leaving the office for the Christmas break.

15. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Gelsenbury, that's a really sweet version, sounds great!
  16. crisscross
    crisscross
    Very nice David, but winter doesn't have to be bleak. Maybe we'll get a Winter Wonderland in the New Year...
  17. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Crisscross, that's a fine Winter Wonderland! I like the improv too.
  18. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    bump... happy holidays.
  19. GHall
    GHall
    Here's a nice Christmas tune not heard too often called "I wonder as I wander"...

20. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice rendition to the Halls. Thanks for sharing.
  21. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a new one to me too. It sounds great, thank you!
  22. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here's a neoclassical tune I posted a couple of days ago in the Classical forum -- not strictly speaking a Christmas tune, but definitely in a festive mood for this time of year, and with a slide show to match.

Johan B. Kok (1889-1954): Andante Religioso (Op. 81)

I'm a big fan of the mandolin music of the Dutch mandolin composer Johan Kok, and this has long been one of my favourite pieces of his with its heart-meltingly beautiful mandola solo and dramatic dynamics in the finale.

Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin

All pictures from the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris.

Martin
  23. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    GHall, sounds great! Some pretty impressive slides and hammers there too, nice!
  24. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Just for fun, Jingle Bells heavy metal?

(or direct link)
  25. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Tomorrow shall be my dancing day, its message of hope fitting this particular season at the end of this particular year.

26. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Martin, nicely played ("Andante Religioso").

Gelsenbury, I love those double notes (like at 0:34 etc), and it sure is a pretty tune. Also enjoyed the candles and Christmas tree.
  27. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    A great Tommy Coen reel, aptly titled "Christmas Eve" - this has been on my "to learn" list for nearly a year after seeing Cafe member Bob Michel post it in the thread for Tommy Coen's reel when it was a SAW tune. Finally sat down to learn it yesterday, so the playing is a wee bit sloppy but oh well, Happy Christmas!

28. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Down-to-earth coziness just right for the occasion, Jill. With an orchestral completeness that is a remarkable feat for a banjo.
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers sir!
  30. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    1. We Three Kings 0:00
    2. Deck The Halls 1:05
    3. Angels We Have Heard On High 2:13

These are three Christmas carols, all adapted to mandolin duets from arrangements for two flutes that I found on IMSLP:

We Three Kings:
    http://imslp.org/wiki/3_Christmas_Ca...ng,_Elizabeth)

Deck The Halls / Angels We Have Heard On High:
    http://imslp.org/wiki/2_Christmas_Ca...s_(Kuo,_Sarah)

Played on a vintage Gibson mandolin:

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)

Martin
  31. GHall
    GHall
    Trying to get into the Christmas Spirit. Here's a little of Bill Monroe's "Santa Claus."

32. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Does anyone have standard notation you'd be willing to share for Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer? I can buy it online for $3 or so, but thought I'd check with you guys first.
  33. Brian560
    Brian560

Here is a Christmas tune
  34. crisscross
    crisscross
    Having done these two Christmas songs, with the first originating from France and the second from England, I wanted to add a song from my home country. I chose "Kling Glöckchen" (Ring Bells) but I couldn't help adding some swing feeling.
  35. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Nice!
  36. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks, JL277z!
    I just recorded another Christmas tune in swing feeling.
    Written by Händel and performed by Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Mariah Carey...
  37. crisscross
    crisscross
    My last Christmas Song for this year, I promise!
    Martin Jonas has played a nice version 3 years ago.
    Süßer die Glocken nie klingen, another German Carol about bells.
    The title means something like The bells never ring sweeter , so I searched some pictures of sweeties.
  38. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I haven't had a chance yet to post any Christmas tunes this year, so this is my last opportunity -- a fortuitous find on IMSLP when I was looking for something else altogehter.

Franz Wohlfahrt (1833-1884):
    "Easy Fantasia on Two Christmas Songs - 'O Stilly Night' and 'O Sanctissima'", Op. 83 (1882)
    "Leichte Fantasie über die beiden Weihnachtslieder 'Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht“ und 'O sanctissima' [O du fröhliche]"

Franz Wohlfahrt is today almost exclusively known through his series of etudes (60 Studies for Violin, Op. 45), which are often among the first ones studied by beginning violinists. His original compositions are not much played. Here is one of them, a fantasia on two of the best-known German Christmas carols, "Silent Night" and "O du fröhliche" (the latter is set to the tune of the Catholic hymn "O Sanctissima").

The original piece is for two violins with piano accompaniment. I have adapted it to a trio of two mandolins and tenor guitar. The two violin parts are indeed fairly easy, but enjoyable to play and suitably sentimental for Christmas. I can't find any sign of any previous recording, so this may be a first -- slightly surprising given the famous source themes and the seasonal nature of the piece.

Sheet music at IMSLP:
    http://imslp.org/wiki/Easy_Fantasia_...lfahrt,_Franz)

Happy Christmas to all on the SAW Group!

Martin
  39. GHall
    GHall
    Merry Christmas, everyone! And have a Happy New Year!!

40. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Beautiful versions all!
  41. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    "Let It Be Christmas", a song by Alan Jackson. I made a video (below), to practice with. It has a simple backing track and chord names, also chord diagrams for guitar and mandolin and ukulele, as well as lyrics and a faint outline of the basic melody (based on half-speed analysis of the song) so you know where you're at in the tune:

YouTube direct link, or embedded:

I had not heard of this song until it came up in another thread where a cafe member was looking for the chords for it. Thought it might be useful to also post it here in Song-a-Week.
  42. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Addenda to my post above: I realize that non-secular or "too religious" holiday songs are not exactly popular items nowadays, and would probably only work for audiences who are actually into the whole Christmas thing rather than just those who are looking for wintery or more generic holiday music, but despite such considerations IMO it's still a pretty song.
  43. GHall
    GHall
    I know it's still a little early for Christmas music, but since the seal's been broken, so to speak, here's a couple of renditions of "What Child is This?" Hope you enjoy!
  44. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    GHall -Since I start practicing Christmas songs today it is a great appetizer. Great tremolo. I appreciate that you have fun playing music. BTW I play this song as Greensleeves.

JL – Of course I watched your video. I’m every time interested in how other folks learn tunes. Your projects are great. Chords for three instruments displayed – I missed the Thuringian Waldzither.
    I didn’t know the song. Meanwhile I found a YouTube vid which works in my country.
  45. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    GHall duo: Beautiful music! Very enjoyable to listen to.

Frithjof, thanks!
  46. Brian560
    Brian560
    GHall Duo: both are indeed enjoyable and very well played
  47. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    JL, thanks for sharing your track with us. I hadn't heard the song before and it will be a nice one to play.
    GHall -- I always appreciate the vids of you and your daughter; she's really good!
  48. GHall
    GHall
    "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" - This is based loosely on the version Butch Baldassari put out years ago in his "Evergreen Christmas" album...hope you enjoy! Would love to see some more Christmas tunes being posted too...'Tis the Season
  49. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    GHall -- I love that performance! Your daughter has certainly added some excitement to Butch's arrangement.
  50. bbcee
    bbcee
    Fantastic. I love how you're playing with the time in the last 6 or so bars. Exciting indeed!
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast