Christmas Tunes

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    http://hillbillychambermusic.bandcam...stmas-download

Here's a mandolin family quartet recording of O Come, O Come Emmanuel for your Christmas enjoyment.
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's just as beautiful as your Christmas submission last year, Don. I hope you don't mind, but these have made it into our family movies as sound tracks.

Jeff and I and a few friends were asked to play for a Christmas party this year, so we threw together a holiday playlist. We took the last two evenings to record most of the tunes, just once-throughs with the bass added in later. There are also a few tracks we put together several years back for fun. Below is a link to the album on SoundCloud.

Hope everyone is having a very Merry Christmas.

https://soundcloud.com/a-mandolin-in...-times-a-comin
  3. JLewis
    JLewis
    Marcelyn, what a beautiful collection of music. Thank you.
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Be sure to check out Marcy's great collection of Christmas music above!

Here's a Christmas tune we always do at our traditional Christmas picking party. We usually close the evening with this one. It's fun to play and everyone seems to know the words! There's nothing like a little Blue Christmas... it's in the Key of E and is played with my 1913 Gibson F2 mandolin, a Fender telecaster and a Simon & Patrick acoustic guitar. I did the vocal too (cause I couldn't find anyone else who'd do it for me.)

5. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    You don't have to be ashamed for your singing Michael, you have a nice voice. Nice song and well played. Merry Christmas Michael!
  6. justkaron
    justkaron
    LOVED your Blue Christmas, Michael!
  7. Grommet
    Grommet
    Thanks to all contributed to the Christmas tunes this year. Well done everyone! What a great bunch to jam along with.

Scott
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's awesome - and you have a celesta just lying around, too!
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I was travelling to visit family during the holidays, but I got enough mandolin playing done. Here is one I thought I had already posted before going away, but obviously had not.
  10. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    David's fantastic version of carol of the Bells inspired me to have a go. Well it is December now.
    Played on piano and 2 mandolins - added a second mandolin after filming to beef it up a bit.

11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, James, what a way to kick off the thread for this season! That arrangement is gorgeous.
  12. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    A Merry Christmas from O'Neill's Dance Music of Ireland. Happy Holidays to all !
  13. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    A Merry Christmas from O'Neill's Dance Music of Ireland.
    Take 2, this time with my A model. I received a helpful note from a member that my timing was off in the 7th measure of my previous version.
  14. jonny250
    jonny250
    Dustyamps, thats really nice
  15. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser

Angels We Have Heard on High with mando family instruments.
  16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Don!

I've posted it in the appropriate thread for the tune, but it may be useful for keeping the Christmas tunes in one thread: I've recorded our 2012 Christmas tune, "What Child Is This? (Greensleeves)" as a waldzither duet (with tenor guitar backing):

These are 20 variations on the tune, arranged as a duet for flutes by hatao.

Happy Christmas to everyone in the SAW Group and on the Cafe!

Martin
  17. Landyrover
    Landyrover
    In Dulci Jubilo - 'In sweet rejoicing' - is a traditional Christmas Carol which traces its origins back to the Middle Ages. A multitrack version in which Mike Oldfield plays all the instruments has attained much popularity, especially at this festive time of the year. My poor version owes much to his, with tenor guitar, octave mandolin, mandolin and electric mandolin as the principal melody instruments. Merry Christmas!

https://soundcloud.com/landyrover/in-dulci-jubilo
  18. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Top marks landyrover on the production values. You should have released that as a christmas single - think you might have had a hit on your hands.
  19. Landyrover
    Landyrover
    That's very kind of you to say so James
    Cheers,
    Nick
  20. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I'm a bit early this year to revive this thread, but at least I've waited until Halloween was out of the way...

I'm currently playing around with a banjo uke I've borrowed (see my other two tunes posted today), and I thought this tune suits that instrument. So, here is a banjo uke and mandolin duet (with tenor guitar chords) of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". Arrangement by Michel Van Der Meiren.

Musikalia banjo ukulele (tuned GDAE)
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  21. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Happy Holidays to all!
  22. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Beautiful traditional melody
  23. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Here's the correct video. Peace
  24. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Kommet Ihr Hirten, Come Ye Shephards. Played on my 2 Gibson mandolins, Kalamazoo mandolin banjo and Regal tenor guitar.
  25. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    O Du Froliche
  26. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    "O Come O Come, Emmanuel" (France, 15th Century)

This is a four-part harmony arrangement by Michel Van Der Meiren (attached here, as his site is down), which I have recorded as a mandolin quartet, starting with solo mandocello, gradually joined by the other voices:

Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    "Baroq-ulele" nylgut-strung bowlback mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  27. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    A happy tune for the holidays
  28. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Dusty, Martin, some very nice selections and playing.

Martin, I like very much "Emmanuel". Starting with the mandocello was great and it is an excellent sounding mandocello too. I downloaded the score you used for our trio...

Dusty, great playing as always. The use of the old cards and pics in the videos was wonderful too. I had heard the Kilarney tune many years ago but have never played it. Do you have any scores for it suitable for a duet? I'll have to look around for one.
  29. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Thanks for the compliment wood man, I learned this part of Christmas in Killarney from sessions.org. I have since added on the slow introduction that transitions well to this part. Martin, nice recordings on everything. Here's a classic I didn't have to learn.
  30. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    These are two German Christmas carols, both played as a trio of mandolin, mandocello and tenor guitar. The arrangements are from an anonymous book of German folk songs for children which my mother gave to my children as a gift last year. Most books of this type have only very bare bones melody lines, often simplified, with easy chords. However, this one has harmony parts for many of the songs, and fairly sophisticated chordal settings, and that makes it a good source for recordings.

Instrumentation for both carols:

Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

1) Maria durch ein Dornwald ging:

A very popular German carol, the title of which translates as "Mary wandering through a thorny wood". I've played the tune first as mandocello solo, then mandocello lead with mandolin and guitar harmony, then mandolin lead with 'cello and guitar harmony.

2) Tochter Zion:

This is an instrumental version of the German Christmas carol "Tochter Zion", which is better known in the English-speaking countries as the Easter hymn "Thine Be The Glory".

Either way, the tune was written by Georg Friedrich Händel. It was adapted in 1820 by F.H. Rinke from Handel's famous chorus "See, the Conqu'ring hero comes" (both melody and harmonies).

Mandolin lead first time round, mandocello lead second time.

Martin
  31. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very nice, Martin. Two of my favourite Christmas tunes right there.
  32. GHall
    GHall
    My first try at uploading something, so hope it works. My 9yo daughter playing "What Child is this." Merry Christmas, everyone
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater
  33. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    GHall, I decided to try this song as well before I knew you posted. Must be in the air! Actually, I am trying to noodle with the melody due the family's plan to play it at our Christmas program at church this Wed.
    Also I am playing this on my new F4. I built it ( my first mandolin) and just set it up Dec 12th. Been tweaking it the last couple of days. I have pics posted on the thread 'My first mandolin build' of my journey. Thanks to all for the kind words. Apologize for the poor sound quality. Gonna try and buy a good mic this coming year.
  34. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Two more tunes, with links the the arrangements I've used:

1) Coventry Carol:

Our own Evelyn (harper) has uploaded the score for her arrangement a few days ago here, and I've recorded it today. Very effective arrangement!

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    "Baroq-ulele" nylgut-strung mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

2) Joy To The World

This arrangement for four voices plus chords is by Steve Hendricks:

http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Ch...s/joyworld.pdf

Hendricks attributes the tune to Handel, but (according to Wikipedia at least), this is not really the case -- The tune emerged in the early 19th century, using a few phrases from Handel's Messiah linked with non-Handel bits.

I've adapted it to mandolins:

Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  35. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Greg, what a nice video. Your daughter already has her own style. Tremelo, slides, hammer ons, pull offs, double stops wow.
    When I was nine I needed Velcro shoe laces. [Unfortunately it wasn't invented yet.] Merry Christmas.

Tim. Clay sounds great. Very nice highs. Can't wait to here him in a week, a month, a year.

Martin. Joy to your and all of SAW's world this season.
    Gary
  36. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Je mets ma confiance, O come Emmanuel, and Vom Himmel hoch da komm ich her - a European collection!

37. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is another old German Christmas carol, dating at least from 1599 (when it was first printed) and possibly much older. Best known in English as "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming".

My arrangement for a trio of mandolin, mandocello and tenor guitar is based on an anonymous children's songbook of German folk songs, which in turn largely sticks to the 1604 harmonisation by Michael Praetorius.

Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  38. crisscross
    crisscross
    "Leise rieselt der Schnee" played entirely on the d-string. I spiced up the chord progression at two points but otherwise it's real basic.
  39. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very pretty, crisscross. "Leise rieselt der Schnee" is one of the songs I sing every Advent Sunday with my children and I've also just recorded a simple version as a trio of mandolin, octave mandolin and tenor guitar. I've used a harmony part from my children's songbook.

Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  40. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I have very much enjoyed this year's crop of SAW Christmas tunes. This is another recording from our trio, the Art IN Hand String Band. Carol of the Bells, played in a jewelry store - hence the background noises...

41. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    As I've been singing German Christmas carols with my children, I've been mining their songbook for songs to record. Here are two more old favourites, recorded as trios (melody, harmony and tenor guitar chords):

1) Süßer die Glocken nie klingen

Ozark tenor guitar

Starting with a bell imitation on the TG, leading into the melody on the Mid-Mo with the Embergher joining on harmony and taking the lead on the repeat.

2) O du fröhliche

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Twin mandolin tremolo throughout on this one, first with the bowlback on melody and the Mid-Mo on harmony, then reversed.

Martin
  42. Heymate
    Heymate
    Hello there, This is a favourite of mine. guitar, 3 Mandolins and my little Celtic Harp. this is my arrangement of a choral score of this carol. Might have to copy and paste this one...sorry

https://soundcloud.com/richardmelhui...idwinter-final
  43. Heymate
    Heymate
    oh btw...Gibson A 50....Recorded and Mixed using Ablleton Live 9
  44. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Beautiful music from everyone. I remember when oldsausage would play us Christmas music.
  45. bratsche
    bratsche
    I'm reposting this here from the main board thread where Martin mentioned this thread. Martin, I don't know how you find the time to do so many multi-track recordings, and you certainly deserve a lot of props for it! I especially enjoy the variations on Greensleeves. After doing just one, which took almost a week, from finding the pictures, recording the tracks, editing the mix, and putting it all together, I realize that it involves quite a bit of work!

Anyway, this is my arrangement of O Holy Night, and features an OM (converted Baby Taylor), my viola, my Mid-Missouri M-2 mandolin x3 on the tremolos, and my John Weisberg mandola in the 3rd verse solo. We're using it as our musical Christmas card this year. Enjoy!

Merry Christmas to all!

46. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Beautifull music everyone. Now I want a bratsche

Here are my holiday wishes for the Group:

47. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    A nice ringing doublestop "wish you a merry Christmas". I love music..
  48. GHall
    GHall
    Merry Christmas, everyone! My daughter playing "Silent Night" on her Christmas present, an A-5 Silverangel.
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
  49. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That's so sweet Greg. Merry Christmas!
  50. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Thanks Greg. You and your daughter are really helping with my Christmas spirit.
    And what a great Christmas present. I know because that's exactly what I got.
    Our future in everything, including music, is in the hands of our beautiful children.
    I just got back from taking a violin to my granddaughter and a guitar to my grandson.
    Gary
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast