minor short coming

1. billkilpatrick
    hope i can discuss this with devoted, fellow mid-mo fans without bringing lightning down on me but i've noticed that my m-4 has fewer options - in terms of tone - than my other mandolins. this is not to say that i don't like it or that i'll ever sell it (i have a new, REALLY! no-frills m-0 waiting for me in vermont, this summer.) it's just that it appears to have - more or less - just one voice.

can anyone else say this without feeling like they've let the side down or have i simply not explored all the options?

- bill
  2. Peter Kurtze
    Peter Kurtze
    Bill, I'm not an accomplished player, nor do I have a particularly discerning ear (only one good one at that), but I think I understand what you mean. I guess I'd agree that my M-4 has pretty much "one voice," but it's a loud one, and one that works pretty well for most of what I try to play (Irish trad). And from what I've heard of your playing via YouTube, you make that one voice do some lovely things! I'm especially taken with your rendition of Kemp's Jig -- thanks for that!

Peter
  3. Jon Hall
    Jon Hall
    Bill, Are your other mandos flat t&b or arched t&b? I've always noticed a distinct difference in the tone between the two types of construction.

Jon
  4. billkilpatrick
    it certainly projects - no doubt about it. since joining the group, someone asked me privately if a used m-4 with pick-up for $450 was a good deal. oh yes! ... my observation about its voice was exactly that - observation, not complaint.

i've got an oval hole "f" with an arched top and back and - i have to say - it's the one i usually grab. when i'm trying to work out a song, however, the m-4 works wonderfully: maybe it's the slightly wider fingerboard but finding the notes, initially is no problem, compared with the "f." mike dulak is definitely one of the good guys ...
  5. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    I have owned an M-4 for 9 years, it was made in 1998. I play it regularily in a church worship band, with other instruments of course. it can be heard above electric guitar, clarinet, piano etc. and it is Acoustic only.

I hve another Mid Missouri, an M-1 put away for Christmas.

I am a very enthusiastic fan of the Mid Missouri and do not plan to move to another mandolin, unless I stumble on a Teens Gibson for a very good price. I also like Flat iron pancakes, Gibson Army and Navy models and other flat top mandolins.
  6. MrMoe
    I have read these posts many times since 2009. I have been doing more reading about mandolins lately including Graham McDonalds books and articles from Europe and the UK. The "just one voice" shortcoming will be a real thing for some players. These are not "country" mandolins nor do they command the price of the holy grail of mandolin design (carved top Gibsons and the many many copies of them). I continue to learn how to get varying sounds from my 1999 maple Mid MO. It has a lot of "pluck" and "cluck" It is loud and has excelent sustain. Melody lines come through "sweet" and "pure". Getting it to "bark" is tricky. I use a hard pick and strike closer to the bridge to imitate "bark". They will never be like carved instruments. They were not intended to be.
    Interestingly I begin detect a subtle disapprovial of the American "country" mandolin from European commentators.
    I hope to have a fine carved mandolin some day.
    Best regards to all, I hope Mike is well,
    Maurice