Introductions

1. Jim MacDaniel
    Jim MacDaniel
    After seeing several other social groups pop up specific to certain builders, I thought I would create one for fans of Pancake/Army-Navy style mandolins in general.

I thought it would be fun to have group for people with a common interest in this style of mandolin, ranging from the Gibson Army/Navy & Alrite mandolins of yesteryear, to the more recently retired Flatiron models & Stew-Mac Campfire kits, as well as today's offerings from Redline, David Newton, Andrew Poe, Jimmy Moon, & others. Please share your pics, thoughts, stories, favorite models and builders, projects, wish lists, questions, gear & accessory recommendations, updates, and general comments here, as well as organize local get togethers or pancake tastings. (Or perhaps a "pancake breakfast"? )
  2. Jim MacDaniel
    Jim MacDaniel
    I myself have owned several flat-tops, including a Mid-Mo M1, a spruce over birch Spicer, a spruce/birch Garrison, a spruce/maple Gypsy, a spruce/cocobolo Arches, and now my first pancake in the form of a spruce/walnut Redline Traveler.

I have a catch-and-release strain of MAS, so I frequently miss the ones that got away -- including my Gypsy, and I especially regret the decision to sell the Arches -- but I am having tons of fun with my Traveler, so much so that I suspect I may begin to accumulate more pancakes when opportunity and discretionary budget align. (e.g., I'm now on the lookout for one of those red Flatiron Cadets, and would love to commission an even more flashy newbuild in seafoam green or white, with white or cream binding and pickguard, and maple fretboard and headstock. )
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I'm a fan of the pancake mandolins as well. Until this week I had a 1985 Flatiron 2M, but my form of MAS is also of the catch and release strain (don't even ask me how many electric and acoustic guitars I've gone thru over the years!) so the Flatiron was let go to help fund the purchase of carved top oval A. It was a hard decision but one made easier by the fact that I've got a Redline Traveler with a gold top finish arriving sometime in the next few weeks! My Traveler will be spruce/walnut as well. I do suspect though, that if one of those koa Flatiron pancakes surfaced for sale that I'd be highly tempted to jump on it. Awhile back a Poe Scout turned up in the classifeds here (Poe #25 if you check out the Poe website) and man it was really tough to not pull the trigger on that one, a real beauty!
  4. lucho
    lucho
    I am also a pancake army navy fan.... and I do own a Flatiron 2MW (1988) and an OM/bouzouki 3K (1983) and I keep looking for a mandola to complete the family set.... I also I had explored with luthiers who make this design like Sawchyn from Canada and Banks from Oakwood in UK.... for a cittern like moster for the foreseable future.... but.... I am also a collector, so most of the time some other instruments come in the way..... and the money goes that way.... you could see my instruments in the photos at my profile....
  5. Rick Turner
    Rick Turner
    Doing my best to help folks make them!

I'm teaching right now at the Crucible in Oakland with nine students; four making mandolins, one making an octave mando, and four making a very compatible pineapple ukulele design.

I've got a wonderful brochure of my class done in Tasmania. Just email me and I'll send along a copy. renaissanceguitars@yahoo.com

Rick Turner
  6. Jim MacDaniel
    Jim MacDaniel
    Wow Rick -- you and your class sure get around!
  7. Steevarino
    Steevarino
    Sort of a modified version of what Rick said. For me, I am doing my best to make them for folks!

Here at RedLine, we have just been having a blast building our version of a pancake mandolin for the mandolin playing community. We started with a very traditional Army/Navy design, and we are sort of tweaking it as we go along, adding things like; oval sound hole, somewhat deeper body, adjustable bridge, optional radiused fretboards, along with a wide variety of tonewoods and high quality finishes.

We have made some great friends with this Flattie Adventure, and hope to keep doing so!

Jill, yours is almost done now, along with an awesome Australian Lacewood Traveler, complete with snakeskin binding and matching pickguard! Two more Travelers about to hit the road!
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Looking forward to posting pictures of my soon to arrive Gold Top Redline Traveler soon!
  9. flagstaffcharlie
    flagstaffcharlie
    Hi,

Just joined. I've got a Gypsy's Spirit. It has a bit of an arch built into the top by way of bracing. Also, I'm building a pancake mandola at RockyGrass this summer in Lyons, Co.

I'm very happy to see Rick Turner here as I always enjoy his generosity in sharing his expertise on the AGF forum where I am active.
  10. Eric F.
    Eric F.
    Well, I bought Jill's 2M. It's my fourth Flatiron pancake. For a while I just bought whatever turned up under a certain price, played it until I needed the money, then sold it for a slight profit. I've also had two Parsons flattops, a Flatiron mandola, Mid-Mo M1, Big Muddy M4 and a Big Muddy mandola. So, more than a few flattops have passed through my hands. I've done the catch and release thing quite a bit, too.

I am trying to contain my lust for an Arches flattop. Actually, I've been trying to contain that since I got my Arches A5 four years ago. That one is highly unlikely to get released.
  11. Steevarino
    Steevarino
    Hey Jill,

Your wait is close to an end. Sorry it took so long, but Merlefest, and then an ocean of work on the parts side of the business pulled me away for a bit. Then, since yours was the first Traveler with a pickguard, I had to sort of "invent" its size and shape. The pickguard is done, the mandolin hits the buffing wheels this morning, and hopefully will be assembled after that. This Traveler should be Road Ready early next week, Gold Top, and all!
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Hurrah! Great news - another pancake almost ready to take it's first steps in the world!
  13. Jim MacDaniel
    Jim MacDaniel
    Pics please! We want to see that new gold top as soon as you have pics to share!!!
  14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Just posted a few pix of the now completed gold top Traveler that Steve emailed to me today. It'll be shipped off to me at the beginning of next week!
  15. Jim MacDaniel
    Jim MacDaniel
    Suweeeet! I really like the white binding and pickguard on it as well, and I bet it will sound and play as nice as it looks -- congrats!

(BTW, I can totally see my copying your design for a new one from Steve, but with a seafoam green or sonic blue top, with maple back/sides/fretboard. Not sure about my peghead though: body color, maple overlay, or a contrasting wood overlay? Hmmm...)
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Countdown to Gold Top Traveler just started - Steve emailed me and it's on it's way! Estimated delivery date Thursday the 4th!!!!
  17. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Hi. I just recently built a Stewmac Campfire kit. I'm pleased with the results. Not bad for a first build.
  18. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Just ordered the Redline kit, which is essentially an un-assembled Traveler.. Talked to Steve this AM and it 'should' ship in a couple of weeks. I've done some restore work but this will be my first build,& first flat-top. looking forward to this project!

michael
  19. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Have not received the Kit or heard from Steve in over 2 months. Did read on the Forum that his CNC machine is down so everything is on 'hold' for the time being. I therefor canceled the order for the time being but l still want to build the kit so l'll order it again, maybe this Fall.

Michael