JazzMando strings

1. Yukon_Don
    Yukon_Don
    As reported prior, I switched to JazzMando strings and love them. Recently a D string developed a terrible buzzing. It was like an action set too low with buzzing created from the string inadvertently touching a fret(s). When I determined it wasn’t an action problem I replaced the strings with a new set of JazzMando strings. That solved the problem. Outwardly the string appeared fine. JazzMando offered to replace the errant string.

Donald
    Anchorage, Alaska
  2. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    JazzMando has identified a problem with some of the D's although not the problem you have noted; allegedly in 1 of every 50 sets. I am currently awaiting a replacement and, fortunately, I ordered 2 sets so I was able to borrow one. JazzMando is doing this without question.
    Ray
  3. bevb
    bevb
    Hi. I'm new here, could someone explain exactly how Jazzmando strings differ from anything else ? And, are they available in the UK ? Thanks
  4. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    Hi Bev - I assume its arrived then?
    JazzMando strings differ insofar as they are flat (or tape) wound. They are smoother to play and last longer because there are no visible windings to collect the usual gunge of playing. The downside (or upside if that is what you want) is that they are have less zing than round wound strings - which can tame the rough edge of the National; which is why most people use them - and they are quieter.

They are made by LaBella and are available from Ted Eschliman's site here - http://jazzmando.com/jazzmando_jm11_..._strings.shtml

I haven't been able to find any in the UK but its simple enough to order them from the US - 2 sets won't involve you paying tax or duty. The alternative is Thomastic flat wounds which are almost twice the price.
    Ray
  5. bevb
    bevb
    Thanks for that, but....I don't think I want to be quieter ! I want to be loud and proud in pub sessions !!
  6. chasgrav
    chasgrav
    Volume will NOT be an issue, bevb. In fact, you'll find yourself pickling lighter (and more expressively) and still have volume to spare. The advantage of flatwound strings like the JazzMandos is the tone. They reduce the metallic edge that the resonator can have. I love 'em.
  7. bevb
    bevb
    OK Thanks for that.