logos & finishes

1. coolwood
    coolwood
    I just purchased a new RM-1. It is to arrive on Tuesday.

Various pictures of the RM-1 headstocks show different Shield Logos. Do the different logos signify anything?

When the RM-1 was first released it was also available in a nickel finish. I have seen some recent pictures of custom nickel finishes. Why did National stop making the stock nickel finishes?

Yukon Don: I too have a New-Mad. We must be thinking on the same wave length.

Bill
  2. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    I've also noticed different shield logos. Mine has a "brass" plate whereas the picture posted on the previous page by tburcham looks like it has a transfer. I like the plate but it does tend to get in the way of sticking a tuner on the headstock. They do seem to vary, mine has brass tuners but the other one in the shop were chrome.
    Ray
  3. bevb
    bevb
    My new one also had metal shield, tuners are brass with black heads. Looks cool !
  4. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    Sounds identical to mine. Are the tuners a bit stiff?
  5. bevb
    bevb
    Yes, a bit.
  6. chasgrav
    chasgrav
    I think it's actually bronze, not brass. Mine's got that, and the brass tuners. I like the look.
  7. tburcham
    tburcham
    Mine is also a plate that is secured with two screws.
  8. Yukon_Don
    Yukon_Don
    Bill,

How do you like you New-Mad mando? I have an A model in red spectra.

Yukon_Don
  9. JonZ
    JonZ
    Having played banjo for a while, I have an aversion to nickle plate; all that polishing. Brass just looks cooler when it gets a little dingy.
  10. coolwood
    coolwood
    Yukon_Don:
    I purchased a New-Mad A5, #49, from Peter Mix in 2007. It's black with a gray burst on the front. I really enjoy the New-Mad. I ordered it with larger fret wire, and love its tone and ease of playing. Of course I got very used to the sound, and the New-Mad, for me, was the sound by which all other mandos were judged. After the RM-1 arrived I put the New-Mad down for a few weeks. I went back to it today for music for a "stations of the cross" service. The RM-1 was a not quit solemn enough.

I love the RM-1. That bell-like sustain is amazing, yet I don't think it sounds muddy at all. I also appreciate that because you can get so much volume from the RM-1 that you can play more with dynamics. I can hardly believe I am saying this, but between the New-Mad and the National, I think my MAS may be cured...until I actually get to try a mandocello...

BTW, I called National, and they said the headstock logos don't signify anything, they just use what they have.
    The brass shield seems to be on mandos being produced currently.