Summertime picking picnic gathering

1. Michael Gowell
    Michael Gowell
    Hey Folks -

8 of us as of 5/3. As word gets around our ranks could swell to a couple dozen I'd bet. How about occasional gatherings of the willing, say one each season? Vary the location & flavor of each gathering, with one or two of us acting as a local coordinator for each. I'd be happy to organize one...I think Adam T. and Mandobar are near me & there's a nice oceanside park here in Kittery Point, Maine - Fort Foster - & I could do whatever reservation/group permit thing is needed to reserve the picnic shelter. I'm thinking of a potluck picnic with significant others, kids, & dogs welcome. Ad hoc picking & mando tasting. Maybe an 11AM - 4 PM kind of deal.

Suggestions, alternatives, improvements, pooh-pooing?

michael gowell
  2. Salmon Falls Strings
    Salmon Falls Strings
    Hey Guys (and Gals)

I like the idea Michael (I think we e-mailed each other regarding jamming not too long ago). Looks like there's a good amount of us now and I'm sure some of us could work something out. There really aren't too many options for jamming in these parts (Rollinsford, NH Players Hall being the exception). I second the idea overall, lets see where it goes from here.
  3. R. Kane
    R. Kane
    We would be happy to host a mando-jam in our barn in South Dartmouth, about an hour south of Boston, which could fit all of us and then a few dozen more. We've had Joe Walsh's band play to 90-100 people in it, and a cajun dance band, and we have bg jams here occasionally. Its a bit of a hike for those north of Boston, but the pool will be open by mid-June, and there are beaches (and a farm with a petting zoo) nearby. I might be able to persuade some musician friends to accompany.

Richard
  4. Mandobar
    Mandobar
    michael, i have not forgotten you. we just have boxes everywhere from the move and we've a bit of construction (read installing generator with auto switch........i'm a city girl at heart and last winter's storm just put me over the edge) going on.

i'd offer our great room but it is wall to wall stuff right now. but i'm game for a get together.
  5. Michael Gowell
    Michael Gowell
    Well, I'm up for anything. I originally suggested a picnic at a seaside location, thinking to take advantage of the summer season in a place with space for separate family activities, and freedom from the duties of formal "hosting" - more of an ad-hoc, BYO thing. But I'm flexible...

I also like the idea of trying out each other's instruments a bit and having the freedom for folks to wander off at will to trade tricks or tunes. The idea of organizing the event as an jam seems to miss some opportunities.