Week #43 ~ Red Haired Boy (Little Beggar Man)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I almost forgot it was Friday!

This week's winner is Red Haired Boy (Little Beggar Man). If we keep this up, ya'll should all have a good start on St. Patrick's Day gig tunes!

Here's the ABC from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Red Haired Boy, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Amix
    |:"A"EAAG ABcd|efec "D"d2 cd|"A"eAAA ABcA|"G"B=GEF "G"G2 FG|
    "A"EAAG ABcd|efec "D"d2 cd|"A"eaaa afed|cA"E"BG "A"A4 :|
    |: "G"g2 g"G"a gfef|gfec "D"d2 cd|"A"eAAA ABcA|"G"B=GEF G2 FG|
    "A"EAAG ABcd|efec "D"d2 cd|"A"eaaa afed|cA"E"BG "A"A4 :|

Here's a cool pdf, the same tune, notated as a hornpipe, and as a reel.

Here's a link to the search results on www.mandozine.com, that results in TablEdit files.

That ought to get ya'll started!
  2. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    As I already posted this one, I figured I'd find someone else doing it. In this case it a hot-shot Canadian fiddler. Red Haired boy starts exactly halfway thru.

If I get ambitious, I'll do a multi-track version.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Our band has been working on this as a medley, Campbell's Farewell to Red Gap / Red Haired Boy (we call it our Red Set).... So, I've been working on my version like this.... still not ready to post!
  4. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Hot shot fiddler? That's an interesting way to describe Qristina Bachand. She's a fantastic fiddler, but I think her brother has a bit of an edge on her. He is almost a phenom IMO.
  5. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    I meant no disrespect by calling her a "hot-shot fiddler"; more a comment on her youth. I agree she's quite good. I note that this video was from 2007. Her recent stuff is even better, IMHO.
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    I'd be happy to be called a "hot-shot" anything... I'm going to give this one a shot on my Tenor Banjo, after a wee bit of practice...
  7. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    here are the tabs/std notation from Sessions

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...5&d=1266609196

mc
  8. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Here is the link to the old thread for this tune on the group. A wealth of different versions here......
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks for catching that for me, Rob! Can you believe we are up to week number 43! And, if you check out our 'other tune' list, we've got hundreds of those! So, if anyone realizes that we've got the same tune in both the official tune list, and the 'other tunes' list, please link one to the other!
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, I know this isn't the best video I've done, but here it is! I obviously have gotten rusty on my tenor banjo. Didn't do any multi-tracking or GarageBand, this is just recorded straight into my webcam. Should have been a little further away, the mic is pretty sensitive to those tenor banjos!

11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Hmm, tried to play your video Barb, and got a message saying that it was a private video and that folk needed to accept your friend request to be able to view it?
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    oops! forgot to check that box when uploading! It's public now!
  13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Here is my Red Haired Boy as a Hornpipe (?). This version is from Berthoud's 'Irish Mandolin Playing'.
  14. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    And here's mine...Steve Kaufmann's 4 Hour Bluegrass Workout version....but he'd never claim it--or probably even recognize it

Joe
  15. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Manfred, that was a very nicely done, swingy/hornpipey version. I liked that alot.
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred, I do love that tune at that speed/tempo!
    Joe, that was a nicely played version, as well!
  17. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks Barbara and David
  18. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Manfred,

I particularly like the version you played, and your execution. Beautifully done.

Joe
  19. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Manfred you inspired me to try a mid tempo version of this tune. I went in a slightly different direction with it but it's still slower than most of the break neck versions I've heard. Photos of red haired boys courtesy of Google image search.

20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Wow, David, that's cool and Jazzy! (not that i know anything about Jazz!) I have a red haired grandson, and a red haired nephew!
  21. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Celticdude. It's all good. I know you didn't mean anything... it just struck me as funny. Sorry you misunderstood me.
  22. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    Manfred, very good. I notice that your eyes seem to be on your computer sreen. Are you able to read all the notation off the screen and play? In many instances, I have not been able to get it all on the screen causing a nasty pause in the music to page down. Any thoughts?
  23. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    Joe, well done. It looks like some great guitars behind you. Do you mind telling us what they are?
  24. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, Dean.
    No, my eyes are glued to the good old notation sheet, which I have on a desk stand.
    I play with notation most of the time. Even if I know a piece by heart, I feel much safer when I have the notes infront of me.

David, it's an honor for me to be able to inspire you!
  25. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    I've been away from here for a long time. Didn't play mandolin for awhile, being busy doing other things. Now I'm back to playing regularly so I thought I would come back here! This is just a simple quick version.

26. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Kyle,

very nice! I like this tune for the variety of presentations it supports.

Dean,

The dreads on the wall are from left a Recording King RD-227 (rosewood body), a Martin D Mahogany 09 (essentially a D-18 with GE construction and an alpine spruce top) and a Martin 000028HW Elderly custom, again rosewood. If I could play them as well as they deserve it would be great. I'm trying to figure out how to do the multi-track thing, and maybe will get that going before too long.

Joe
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle! Good to see you again! I was thinking last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, that we hadn't heard from you in ages!
  28. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Its good to be back Barbara! I was remembering how much this group helped my playing. Since I'm getting serious about my playing again, I need to be back here.
  29. Earl Gamage
    Earl Gamage

I have been hoping to get brave enough to join you folks. Here's my first.
  30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Earl, that's a great first video! Welcome! We want to see more of you! Tell us about your mando. Are you a lefty, or is this a fluke of your camera? I recently got a Mac with a built in icamera. If I videoed using Photo Booth, it came out mirrored, making me look like a lefty. But I was informed if I videoed using iMovie, it came out right!
  31. Earl Gamage
    Earl Gamage
    Thanks Barbara. No, I kind of forgot to learn how not to mirror it. I'm using a Mac too so thanks for the hint on iMovie, not sure how to do that but I'll give it a try.

The mandolin is a Kentucky 380 I got last July after wanting a mandolin for about 30 years but never giving it a try. I don't even touch the guitar anymore. I'm pretty happy with the Kentucky, but I do look at others sometimes.
  32. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, it sounds very nice, and you played it very well! To video in iMovie, it's real easy. Just open iMovie, new project, then in the middle of the pane, toward the left, is an icon of a movie camera. Just click that, and it gets you started with the videoing. You should be able to figure it out from there. You then just decide which frames you want, drag them up to make the movie, and can upload it to youtube from there!
  33. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    Everybody is sounding good.
    Here is my version to add to the mix.

I am playing it on my recently complete little flat top that I just finished.
    It has an engelmann spruce top with curly maple sides, back and neck.
    This is the second mandolin I have built.

Terry
  34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nicely played, TDMpicker, and a great sounding & looking mando you've built!
  35. Earl Gamage
    Earl Gamage
    Nice job TDMpicker. Nice mandolin too. I have a Big Muddy borrowed now and I think the flat top is fun to play but the one I have does not seem loud enough for jams.
  36. Earl Gamage
    Earl Gamage
    Barbara, I like the tenor banjo. What is the tuning? I also have a tenor guitar tuned GDAE but I want to focus on the mandolin for now.
  37. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Earl, my tenor banjo is tuned in what they call "irish tuning" which is GDAE. So, it's like playing an octave mandolin, or a tenor guitar tuned GDAE.
  38. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    I haven't posted in a while, so here's a version of Red Haired Boy on my Eastman 815. Tom

39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Tom! Good to have you back! Don't be a stranger!
  40. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice, clean picking, Tom
  41. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Please excuse the double post, but I was (sort of) successful in putting together a version "self-accompanied". All on the cheap, with Windows Movie Maker, Audacity, and way too many hours of effort. But here it is

Heaven help us when I get the fiddle worked in.

Joe
  42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Joe... that's it! I like your satisfied nod at the end!
  43. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Barb,

Thank you. It was far from perfect, but the best I've managed so far. I think I have a method down...kind of the mirror of yours....a click track with a count off; then a track with the rhythm played against the click track; and then the melody track recorded on the video; then I take the melody audio into Audacity, get it lined up well with the rhythm, and put the whole mess back together in Movie Maker. It took me forever to arrive at that. But it surely demonstrated how much I need to work on a steady tempo. I think a Mac is better for a lot of this, but I'm not ready for a new machine just at the moment.

JOe
  44. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Joe, all this learning newfangled stuff is good for these old brains, isn't it!!! Yes, one of the best things, I think, about doing this, is that is DOES help with getting a steady tempo imprinted into our brains, and also shows us where our arrangements need work!
  45. Ladianne
    Ladianne
    Joe - I love your rendition!
  46. cbud
    cbud
    Hi all,

This is my first video post, so please excuse the nervous screw-ups. I live in Quebec, Canada, and have been playing mandolin for about a year. Relatively recently I upgraded from my starter mandolin to this Eastman (what a difference). This is a version of Red Haired Boy that I've been working on with a few friends...it's a bit different than some others. And the pace is, well, not that impressive. Feedback would be welcome!

47. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Very nice job. Your Eastman sounds real good. I look forward to your future submissions. Tom
  48. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Cbud....
    Welcome from yet another Eastman owner. Very nice variations!
    Joe
  49. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Red Haired Boy on this restored Banjo-Mandolin. There is some static from the mic, i think. and i got tired of all the re-takes

mc
  50. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Cool! Yes, mics are very sensitive to banjos.... when I'm recording my tenor, I have to be much further away from the mic, than when I'm recording my mandolin.... That's what makes that crackling noise!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast