Mallard Island Hymn

1. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Here is a beautiful song by Peter Ostroushko from the soundtrack of Ken Burns' "National Parks" PBS Series. I couldn't find any kind of music for this so transposed by ear, but tried to get as close as possible.

mc
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    deleted
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Here is some of the footage of "National Parks" by Ken Burns from where i transposed the above music. had to take it from the piano section starting @ 1:12 'cause the strings are just too busy.

mc
  4. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    MC, is there any way you could relay the chords you are using?
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Jim, i'd be happy to.

|D |G D|D A D|
    |G |D |D G|
    |D |G D|G Em| > in the last phrase hold down A@2 and run down D-5,4,2,0
    then for Em hold D at@2 and G 4,6
    |D |G D|D A D|

hope that helps

just FYI, i think the Ostroushko video is in C but i couldn't get the chords to sound right

mc
  6. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    mc, that is a beautiful melody. Thanks for posting your version and the chords. Nice playing.
  7. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Don, thanks so much. I've only been playing mandolin for 3 months but my guitar skills are starting to cross over, FINALLY...i think the mandolin is much harder to master and i give all of you guys/gals a lot of credit.
    thx again

mc
  8. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Finally learned i could actually write music w/ TablEdit but can't get the notes to come out right, but this is the TABs/
    SN i transposed for Mallard Island Hymn, you'll just have to kinda smoooooth it out , if ya know what i mean.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...8&d=1267912844

mc
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Michael, this is a very beautiful tune, good choice. Here's my take on it.

There's notation for my version here:

https://app.box.com/shared/jbn20te1a9
  10. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    This tune is beautiful! Definitely one i'm going to work on.
  11. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    David, that was just great, your version is much truer to the original than mine. fantastic video too!!

mc
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that WAS wonderful! Where did you get the images?
  13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Man (and woman ) this is great. Thanks Michael and David. I almost missed this thread. Have to learn this right away.
  14. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    So here is my take. Backup courtesy of Band-in-a-Box.
    David, thanks for the Finale file and your great playing.

15. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Michael, That's a beautiful tune. Thanks for posting it.

David, Another great video.

Manfred, I really enjoyed that; nice tremelo.

Eric
  16. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    That's a beauiful piece everyone. Very nice tremolo, Manfred. I watched the whole Ken Burn's "National Parks" documentary and heard this piece a great many times - I highly recommend the program, although it is rather long. Tom
  17. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Manfred, that was beautiful playing, indeed. thx for posting your version.

mc
  18. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks for all the kind comments.

Manfred, you are the tremolo master, nice playing.

Barbara, I got most of the images from here:

http://wallpaper-s.org/

I'm lucky if I take a picture and my thumb isn't in it.
  19. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.
    It is easier for me to tremolo than getting "Cluck Old Hen" up to "lightning fast"
  20. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bump
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    David, I noticed you had asked on my YT channel about the notation for this tune. I had not been aware of this thread from 2010 until you bumped it today. I have been having a listen to the versions by mculliton123, Manfred and yourself. All lovely versions, and I see that you have actually given a link to your notation on your own posting. I checked and it is still available at Box and is the exact version Ginny sent to me. My offer still holds of sending you a pdf of this with my harmony track added. Thanks for reminding us of this thread.