Hello all

1. turfdoc
    turfdoc
    New here but been playing guitar in alternative tuning for years, ever since I started playing Michael Hedges. Is this forum primarily for guitar or is there a big thing for nst on mandolin?
  2. Explorer
    Explorer
    The overall forum itself, the Mandolin Cafe, is primarily for mandolin. However, this particular social group looks at the core fifths-tuning idea of mandolin-family instruments and applies that to guitar instruments. It mainly focuses on full-fifths tuning on guitar (along with "NST," which is a crippled implementation of that tuning).

Going the other way, to apply fifths tuning to mandolin-family instruments, is already the norm, and so the rest of the forum has that as an underlying assumption. Since mandolin doesn't have six strings, only four, there's no way to apply "NST" to it.

I think that the social group is probably meant more for the regular-interval extended tunings (FFT and "NST"), as opposed to alternate guitar tunings. At least that's how I read the group description.

If you're interested in exploring alternate tunings on guitar, I've frequented quite a few forums where that is more the the norm.
    Hedges and Kottke, Chris Proctor, Kaki King, Don Ross and others are jumping off points. If that's your main interest, then you'll probably find better information in those places. I'm sorry I don't remember any of the forums off the top of my head...