Introduce Yourself

1. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Ok fellow North Florida mando pickers- let's get to know each other and share what's going on in the area, so for me I'm Teri LaMarco (amandalyn) and I'm in Jacksonville, a board member of the North Florida Bluegrass Assoc.-
    www.nfbluegrass.org
    Hope to meet more friends of the mandolin here.
  2. gibsonf9
    gibsonf9
    I live in Bainbridge,Ga. about 35 miles north of Tallahassee. Buddy Wester(gibsonf9) is my name. Tally has a good bluegrass scene not much up here though. I'm glad to see this on the cafe. I would like an explanation of FFcP soon. No one has taught it to me,it sounds like it may be helpful!
  3. Cheryl Watson
    Cheryl Watson
    Hello Fellow Floridians,

I'm Cheryl, from St. Augustine. I'm also in the N. FL Bluegrass Association. I'm in two bluegrass bands, Teri being the bass player in one of them. I hope to meet some other Floridians.
  4. BinkWms
    BinkWms
    Glad to see a regional group. I'm in Sopchoppy, FL about an hour south of Tallahassee. Play with the Lanark Scottish Fiddle Orchestra; also really enjoy Cape Breton and Old time tunes. I plan on going to the Florida Folk Festival May 22, if anyone is going, let me know. Teri, that looks like a beautiful Poe. How do you like it? Hope to have mine by summer. Thanks. Bink Williams
  5. journeybear
    journeybear
    Hey Howdy!

Of course I'm waaay down South Florida way - Key West - far as you can get from North Florida without ending up in Cuba, but since all the good FL Festivals are up north ... and so far I haven't heard of any other pickers in my area here, I figured I might as well try to keep in touch this way. Until someone starts up a SFSG, in which case I'd have to join both - of course!
  6. crazymandolinist
    crazymandolinist
    I'm a builder/player from Live Oak......yeah.
  7. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Welcome 'crazymandolinist'.... Live Oak eh? gotta love those festivals over at The Spirit of the Suwannee, one of my fav places. I miss when they had the smaller bluegrass festivals there. are you a member of the NFBA?
    Teri
  8. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Hey 'journeybear' Welcome... been down your way a few times. What do you play?
    Maybe we should change this group to just Florida... whaddaya think guys?
    Teri
  9. journeybear
    journeybear
    Hey howdy back at ya!

My main instrument is a 1917 A, acquired last spring, after struggling along with a 1935 A-00, a quick purchase to replace my 1970s F-12, stolen in August '07 after 30 years of faithful service. Her name, by the way, was Mandy Lynn, of course short for Amanda Lynn - there are a couple-few members by that name - and I actually met someone at a gig a few years ago actually named Amanda Lynn! She seemed unconvinced that destiny had brought us together ...

Anyway, you may sense a pattern here - Gibsons all. I also have a 1916 H-2 mandola, and an EM-150 that dates from the Truman administration. Don't use that much anymore, especially now that I have a solidbody Epiphone MandoBird for my electric purposes.
  10. journeybear
    journeybear
    Now if you were asking what kind of music I play ... I just got through playing in a seasonal Cajun/bluegrass/country band. A couple of friends have a Cajun band up in MA and winter down here, and get together with some of us locals and play a bunch of gigs during the peak tourist season. They just did their snowbird thing three weeks ago, and now the fiddler and I are workiing up a duo with a couple of adjunct members, depending on everyone's schedules. He also plays guitar, I also play steel tenor guitar (tuned like mandola), and our repertoire is going to be more classic country and Americana - no Buffett, Skynyrd, or "Brown Eyed Girl." If tourists need that, they can find it badly done elsewhere!

My songwriting takes me a good bit farther afield, but that's another conversation ...
  11. bhGreen
    bhGreen
    Why, hello there fellow Floridians.
    I am not a Mandolinist yet... but by the end of the week i shall have strummed my first chords. I was instantly intrigued by Mandolin when a friend of mine (a guitar/mandolin player) brought his new one over one afternoon, and i of course accused him of stealing his sons toy guitar! (haha jokingly of course!) I plucked on it a bit, and the sound was fantastic! I waited a few weeks, researched a bit, then found this lovely site. I love forums of all types.. i love to read, and this place was perfect! Now im just waiting on my mando to arrive, nothing fancy of course, something in the same lines as a rogue =/ but, again its my first, and if i truly enjoy it, im sure ill upgrade in the future.

Well, my brain is all over as i write, but my name is Brittani Hollenbeck, myspace.com/superrushin
    Im 20 and reside in Eustis FL. I hope some of you have heard of Mt. Dora, its pretty famous for its yearly art festival and other shenanigans it has (i say shenanigans because woo boy, when they have stuff going on, too many people for the area are there haha!)
    Any way, i hope to maybe meet some fellow players. I will probably be in a band soon, just one with friends, and ive heard thats the best way to learn (not to mention, my friend with the mando is going to teach me!) Ive played percussion for 7 yrs, i was in marching band on the snare drum and loved it, ive also played the drum set, but its just isnt my thing, and hasnt been for years. The mandolin looks like something i could really get into.

Im soaking in all the Mandolin spirit i can, reading everything about it. Watching lots of videos and prepping for its arrival. Ill post pictures as soon as i get it! lol

Thanks again, and this is truly an experience :D
  12. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Welcome Brittani,
    Good luck on your mandolin journey, the cafe is a great resource.
    Teri
  13. Brandon Flynn
    Brandon Flynn
    Hello! I live in Ocala, so maybe more central than north, but pretty close. However I am going to school in Chattanooga,TN, so I'm less of a Floridian mandolin player than before. I'm 20 years old and have been playing mandolin for about 4 years now. I am a music theory/composition major studying mandolin at Covenant College in Lookout Mountain, Ga (right on the TN/GA border). My teacher is Matt Flinner, I drive to Nashville for lessons. I study mainly classical and jazz now, but of course have interest in folk and bluegrass. I'm more into newgrass than really traditional stuff, but I do enjoy playing even the most traditional at times.
  14. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Welcome Brandon-
    I am in Jax. The North Florida Bluegrass Assoc. is a good group of folks in this area-
    www.nfbluegrass.org
    How cool that you have Matt Fliner for a teacher! Please share your learning experiences!
    Teri
  15. joey6592
    joey6592
    Hello! I am Joey . Nice to meet you all. I live in Citrus County (very close to Ocala). I listened to the grateful dead, old and in the way, and jerry garcia and david grisman which all got me into mandolin. My dad bought me one over the summer and I've been playing it for almost 3 months since then. I gotta say, I play guitar, bass, and drums, but of all the instruments I play mandolin is by far my best and my fav. and I've only been playing for 2.5-3 months. But I'm 16 years old and I want to join a bluegrass band SO BAD. Nobody in this area rlly likes that style of music sadly. So I thought I would try here :D. Looking forward to geting to know you all. Take care!

-Joey
  16. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Hi Joey, Welcome! I am very familiar with your are- used to live near Orange Lake. There is some Bluegrass jams in Ocala, and you should check out the North Florida Bluegrass Assoc.- has lots of info and events.
    www.nfbgrass.org

Teri
  17. joey6592
    joey6592
    Yeah I've heard that ocala has events and what not I'm trying to figure out how to find out about them.
    Thank you though. I'll check it out. So far the only time I've been able to play mandolin in public is mambo italiano. I'm in breez which is a music class at my school and I play guitar, but mambo italiano sounds so much better with 1 guitar and 1 mando. in it. It's neat stuff. Anyway thank you for the warm welcome. .
  18. Tom Sanderson
    Tom Sanderson
    Hope you guys are ok with Snowbirds joining the group. I'm from Michigan, but have been spending winters in St Augustine. I've been playing Mando since 1974. My main instrument is a Nugget F5
    Tom Sanderson
  19. Cheryl Watson
    Cheryl Watson
    hello and welcome! I am in Jax. and have freinds in St.Aug. which I visit often. (am there now) would like to meet up with you and see your Nugget. I have a Kimble F-5 and Randy Wood 2pt. Are you a member of the NFBA?
    Teri
  20. Tom Sanderson
    Tom Sanderson
    I'm not a member yet, I might join this year, I'm still in Michigan (freezing) for 10 more days.
  21. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Hi Tom-
    welcome to the group,
    hurry back to Florida!!!
    Teri
  22. stevenmando
    stevenmando
    Hi everyon my name is steven and i live in Orlando i guess im pretty near the north i love a lot of music from classical to whatever just love to play mandolin I have an eastman MD 515 F style and a bowlback but play my F Style most .
    Steven
  23. Garden Music
    Garden Music
    Hello all! My name is Karen, and I live in Citrus County (technically central Florida). I am brand new to mandolin and already loving it. My music background is piano and the tiniest bit of guitar. I recently bought a Kentucky KM505, and I have been working on the free online lessons available to get started. I'm also working on Greg Horne's Beginning Mandolin book. I am glad to be a new part of the Cafe and this group.
  24. Garden Music
    Garden Music
    Hey Joey, my son was in Breez a few years ago--good times! I'm wondering if you have also been in the band or the chorus at the school. Hope you are continuing to progress with your mandolin.
  25. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Welcome Karen ! (Garden Music) to the group. I like your clever name. My first mandolin was a Kentucky.
  26. Bogle
    Bogle
    Greetings to all,
    I'm Steve Dennison (aka Bogle) from Ormond Beach. I've been here for a little over two years, and am a transplant from California. Let's pick!
  27. Buttonwood Bob
    Buttonwood Bob
    I'm Buttonwood Bob. I live about 25 miles east, northeast of Journeybear, on No Name Key. I've played a D-18 Martin guitar and others for close to 45 years. Neighbors hear me playing for my own amusement and say, "You've played a few years...10??" I am not flattered. My mother and grandmother taught violin and mandolin, but I resisted their influence in favor of baseball, basketball and football. I inherited a Flat Iron mandola, and since acquired a Kentucky 600 and a prototype Washburn that is better than current models. I also have an A style, touted to have been carried by a German soldier in WWII. George Gruhn and I can't vouch for that. Great sound, however. I've spent more time at the Florida Folk Festivals than many North Florida folks, so wonder if this group might grow faster being just the "Florida Mandolin Players?" I keep hoping an old banjo, and bass player will show up down here in the lower islands of Paradise.
  28. Raganlarry
    Raganlarry
    Salutations one and all. Larry (or Laz, either way, lol) here. In Jax, and aspiring member of the nfba. Have a few friends of the family that play at the san jose jam, and will be attending the vfw this thursday, then back in to tues evening, woot. Been playing for bout 2 years on and off, first string instrument, so is taking some time . That and the large litter of rugrats surrounding me at every turn. Have a Kentucky A style, and a Johnson F style, both beginner models. Working my way up the practice chain for a lovely life in Mountain View Arkansas, where the picking flows like water, and generally as much, lol.

Blessings,
    Laz
  29. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Welcome BOB and LAZ to the group.
    Bob- interesting story about the WWII mandolin. You are probably right, we should change the name to Florida mandolin group, I'm just not sure how to do that.

LAZ- I'm in Jax. Too! Not familiar with the VFW, is that a Jam? Have yet to go to the San Jose Jam, is that a good one?
    Best,
    Teri
  30. Raganlarry
    Raganlarry
    Yupyup. The two jams that i am aware of, are the San Jose, and the VFW. Ironically, they are even spaced out time wise. The San Jose, meet the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays, while the VFW (The one on Blanding blvd bout a block away from the ol'playtime drive in), meet on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays. This info from the NFBA jam list. Will let you know how the VFW one goes this week, will be my first time. The San Jose Baptist jam, the few times i attended, were very nicely populated, and a REALLY friendly crew. 2nd generation to that one, as Dad used to go with his stand up bass.
  31. garyedelman
    garyedelman
    Hi North Florida Manodlin Pickers:
    I'm moving to the Gainesville area this August, and found this group on the Mando Cafe, so
    I thought I'd say hi and as the thread says, introduce myself. I've just begun playing mandolin.
    Been playing guitar on and off for a long time. Have been into bluegrass a long time. I was
    living in the DC area when the "first bluegrass revival" happened (early 70s), and followed the
    music through what I guess now is the second bluegrass revival. I would be very interested
    in getting together with folks to swap songs, etc. when I get to town. I've checked out some
    of the sites that list jams, festivals, etc. Before I cut all my ties to Arizona I'll probably come back
    to catch the Pickin in the Pines as both Sam Bush and David Grisman are appearing this year. And I'm
    leaving just before Dennis and the boys relocate the Mandolin store closer to the city of Phoenix. In
    case you need something, I've found them to be incredibly helpful.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

And just an idea for Journey Bear, that you might know already, I few years back, totally by accident,
    I wondered past the parking lot that is sort of central to the marina area in Key West in front of the
    Half Shell and Turtle Kraals, etc. and just on what I am remembering to be the northside of the
    parking area was an acoustic instrument shop. The place had a jam going. Most of the folks were
    from out of town. But the owner said it was a pretty regular but unplanned thing. He was letting
    people use instruments off the wall, so I sat in on guitar for a few numbers. The place may or may
    not still be there. As many things go in Key West. But the people were excellent muscians and
    it seemed a pretty broat selection of songs came forth.
  32. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Hi Gary,
    Welcome, Gainesville is a good town, I used to live there when going to school, then moved back there a couple years later to work, met my husband and we moved to McIntosh which is about 25 m. South of Gainesville. We are now back in Jacksonville. You'll find some bluegrassers in Gville. Let us know when you get to Florida!
  33. Garden Music
    Garden Music
    Welcome, Gary! I live in Inverness about 75 miles south of Gainesville.

Amandalyn, I appreciate this social group, because through it I was able to meet Joey6592 this week at a concert where his bluegrass band was featured! He is an impressive young man with a smokin' mandolin!

Karen
  34. Tom Sanderson
    Tom Sanderson
    I'm now living and working in St Augustine. I'm looking for people to play with. If anyone is near by , or knows of any acoustic players that wouldn't mind a Mando picker sitting in, please let me know.
  35. jdawson
    jdawson
    Hello everyone. I live near Pensacola and I am a mandolin beginner having never played any instrument before. So far it's been fun. It seems there are not many mandolin players in this corner of Florida.
  36. Gary Bacchus
    Gary Bacchus
    Another Central Florida straggler here. I live in Altamonte Springs, one of the bedroom communities in the greater Orlando area. I am a beginner through and through. My mando is effectively my first musical instrument (I had a couple of false starts on other instruments as a child). Looking forward to getting in touch with the scene here and joining the throng as I develop.
  37. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Welcome Gary!!!!
  38. Crabgrass
    Crabgrass
    Hi everyone! I'm in Melbourne....definitely not a lot of mando action here. Am a total beginner, learning guitar and mando at the same time. Nice to meet you all.
  39. jdawson
    jdawson
    Hi Crabgrass,

I used to live in Melbourne in the mid nineties...and Titusville after that. I was down there this Spring and it has grown a lot. I would think you might find a lot of mandolin players from Titusville northward.
  40. Crabgrass
    Crabgrass
    Hi JDawson,

I swear it seems like everyone has passed through or lived in this area at one time....
  41. JCM
    JCM
    Hi Folks! My name is Craig Morris, Lead Ranger at Fort Caroline National Memorial/Timucuan Preserve in Jacksonville. I'm a newbie to Mandolin.

A few weeks ago I went to buy my youngest son a guitar. While there I noticed all the lovely mandolins for sale. I mentioned to the sales guy that I had my grandfather's old Itilian style mandolin. He said bring it in and lets see if we can get it working. I did, but the staff at the store went nuts when they realized it was made in Naples in the year of 1898! The store manager strongly urged me to learn on a new under $400.00 mandolin. So I'm in the process of selecting one...any suggestions are most welcome!
  42. Florida croaker
    Florida croaker
    Hey,
    My name is Ken Diemer I'm retired. Love my mando, but still very much a novice. Looking forward to making some festivels this summer.
  43. RDRussell
    RDRussell
    Hello all
    I have started mandolin at Grandpa's uke store in St Augustin. I play a left-handed Rogue tobacco mando but intend to upgrade when I can appreciate what I am looking for. I have musical training in piano and like to sing (sometimes in key). I started mandolin because I love bluegrass and old time music and love to sing. The mando is easier to carry around than a piano. Taking lessons with Mike at Grandpa's and have met a few musicians in and around Flagler and St Augustine. I think the mando cafe is great. Learning a tune a week too.
  44. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Welcome RD Russell ! Glad you are in the area and enjoying mandolin. I live in Jax. and come down to St. Aug. often to visit my friend who is also a picker. She is also an awesome teacher, well versed in Bluegrass and other music styles. Maybe we could meet up sometime.
  45. Dale Pauline
    Dale Pauline
    Hi everyone,

My name is Dale and I'm from Pensacola. Currently working in the Marshall Islands though. I'm a member of the Gulf Coast Bluegrass Association.

I've been learning to play the mandolin for about three years now. If they ever give us high speed internet out here I'm going to take Skype lessons.

I'm getting a late start, but hope with practice I can become a decent player one day.
  46. outsidenote
    outsidenote
    Hi, I just found this group. I moved to Atlantic Beach from NC 2 years ago. I have played guitar for quite a long time but picked up mandolin a year ago. Now I play it more than guitar although I'm still not great. Be nice to meet some of you at local festivals. I haven't been to many local ones - although I did go to Palatka in the spring. I also go to Merlefest in NC every year - I have a 12 year streak going.

Regard,
    Tom
  47. MaggieMae
    MaggieMae
    Hi everyone. I am new to the mandolin and am very excited to get some lessons and gain some skills. I would love to meet other players. I am in Gainesville. I got to see Chris Thile perform his Bach sonata in G'ville a couple of months ago, and am going to see him with Punch Brothers at the Suwanee Music Fest in March. Anyone else attending that one?

-Tonya
  48. Steve Zawacki
    Steve Zawacki
    Hi! Not quite Central or North (The Villages), but far enough North to have frost last night. It's good to see so many here.