The Trip to Durrow (reel)

1. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I learnt this one off a few days ago, so it's not quite the finished product yet, as they say. I've had an unexpected guest staying with me which has seriously cramped my opportunities to record stuff, so I had to take advantage of having an empty flat today!
    Here's the ABC's from thesession.org:

X: 1
    T: Trip To Durrow, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmaj
    D2DF ADFA|dfed B3c|dBBA dBBA|FADE FE E2|
    D2DF ADFA|dfed B3c|dBBA FAdB|AFEG FD D2:|
    |:dcde fefg|afdf gfed|(3Bcd ef gebe|gebe gfef|
    d2de fefg|afdf gfed|(3Bcd ef gbag|fdec d2de|
    fdec d2de|fded B3c|dBBA dBBA|FADE FE E2|
    D2DF ADFA|dfed B3c|dBBA FAdB|AFEG FD D2:|

2. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Yikes! Terrific. That would be a great contra dance tune. Yet another on my ever expanding list of tunes to learn.
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Brilliant Jill. You make it look so easy...
  4. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Sounds finished to me. Very nice.
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks everyone! I had to do a gazillion takes on this one - lost count in the end! I was finding it challenging to make the stretch to the 7th fret with my wee finger in the 2nd part and do it both smoothly and cleanly so I'll definitely be working on that bit to get it consistently fluid.
  6. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Jill, Your triplets are something else; your hand is kind of a blur.

David, I love the sound you get from that tenor.

Both of your versions are just great.

Eric
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Sounds lovely on the tenor, David!

Eric, thanks for the kind words!
  8. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    There is a (very) minor controversy over the way this reel is played. Almost everyone I know plays it AABCBC because it sounds better that way. I have heard it played AABBCC and AABBC but I like the way it is presented here the best.

Most likely the C part was either shortened at some point or added on. At any rate it is a wonderful reel to learn as it is full of suprises and really flows the way it is played here.

Mike
  9. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here it is:

I followed it with Sgt Early's Dream, posted here a good while back. Although I've played Trip for a long time on whistle, I'd been struggling with it on mandolin when Jill posted this. A good motivation to finally get it down (mostly). I did mess up the ending to Sgt. Early, but after my camera ran out of memory on my best take (the fourth), ya'll got the second best...
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Dana, nice transition into Sgt. Early's as well!
  11. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Time for a Reel methinks!

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;"

12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Dick! That was the business!
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Dennis aka Gelsenbury had the idea to celebrate St Patrick's Day with a collaboration. So here it is, a rare congregation of Fylde instruments. And of hats.

14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Hats off!
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    And the top o' the morning to you two. A fine duet there, and your St Pat's hats are just the job!
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Go hiontach lads! Great stuff! And your Fylde mandolin (and you playing of it) have such a lovely tone Dennis!
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Lady and Gents, we had fun worth of a hard St Patrick's day's night.
  18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That is excellent. I love it ! Great song played and synced perfectly - and yes, the hats are a bonus. Nice video all 'round.
  19. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Congratulations guys, it sounds fantastic, everything works here too, including beards and hats!
  20. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    A great duet!
  21. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you! This was fun, and certainly the quickest collaboration I've ever had. Bertram doesn't just play fast, he also creates videos at the drop of a hat (see what I did there?). Thanks to his resourcefulness, we made the St. Patrick's Day deadline. Sláinte!
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well played gents! Nice to hear your collaboration.
    And yet another great tune to learn.
  23. Bren
    Bren
    Is there some relationship between Trip to Durrow and Belles of Tipperary?

or are they just mixed-up in my head?
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Bren, I'm afraid Bells of Tipperary (not Belles, Dr Freud ) is a completely different tune.
  25. Bren
    Bren
    I hear Bells but I think Belles ...
  26. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Just discovered this beautiful duet, great work Bertram and Dennis!
  27. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It’s still a great tune to learn !
  28. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Nicely played, Simon. I like the camera at the front instead of over your shoulder, I can see the notes better.
  29. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good tune and you play it very well here, Simon.
  30. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny and too kind John, I think I bodged it! Today was the day for recording and getting my haircut.
    Unfortunately the hair clippers got the best of me, it’s always a struggle with these gadgets.
    I’m going to have to wear a hat for the next month.

(I did the recording feeling like Samson)
  31. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Just as well there were no temples nearby where you could have pushed on the pillars and brought the place down, Samson! I too had a haircut (first in quite a while thanks to the restrictions) a week ago and feel better for it.
  32. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha, ha, I was actually practicing Devil’s Dream at the time but I laughed so much afterwards that it can’t be that!
    Whole family had a good laugh too. I’m glad.
  33. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Simon, lovely steady pace!
  34. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Jill though I was hoping no-one would notice that I had shut down the click track!
  35. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great stuff bertram, dennis and simon, i love seeing older threads being brought back to life, smashing tune this .
  36. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your octave mandolin has a nice, mellow tone, Simon, but I suppose, that's more the player's achievement.
  37. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great picking, Simon! (It sounds amazing with the haircut. )
  38. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Hats seem to be the order of the day, Simon
    Mild & mellow, fluidly flowing rendition, well practised apparently - hair clipping can be practised, too (I do it every other week for decades now)
  39. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    The mellow tone is something I always notice in Simon's recordings, as Christian said. It's all the more remarkable with this tricky tune. Well done!
  40. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Bertram and Dennis (Gelsenbury), and also Simon, great sounds!

Re haircuts, something to be said for long hair in a ponytail. When it starts getting so long that it bothers me (gets caught under my arms when sleeping, or flops around into my face when I move around) I just take the scissors to the end part of the ponytail (while still tied!) and feather cut a few inches off the end. Convenient, easy, and free.

- Jess (JL277z)