Week #48 ~ Shove That Pig's Foot A Little Closer to the Fire (OT)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by a landslide, is an old time tune, Shove That Pig's Foot a Little Closer to the Fire.

This isn't a tune I've known, so this is what I've found:

Here's a link to the tune on www.thesession.org

This is the ABC posted at thesession

X: 1
    T: Shove The Pig's Foot A Little Closer To The Fire
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Gmaj
    |: GA | BcBA GEEF | GAGE DDB,C | DEGA B3 c | B2 A2- A3 B- |
    BcBA GDEF | GAGE D3 D | EF G2 B3 G | A2 G2- G2- :|
    |: GA | Bd- dB d2 Bd | edBc d4 | Bc d2 g3 d | e2 d2- d3 A |
    Bd- dB ddBd | edBc d4 | B3 c BAGB | A2 G2- G2- :|

Then I found THIS in the mandolinsessions archives by Wendy Anthony

It has a good explanation of the pick direction that she recommends. It also includes TAB & standard notation. This is the basic tune that I'm going to work on for my version.

I found this video of the tune unaccompanied on a fiddle, with a flat-foot dancer.. I think it's GREAT! Especially that this is an old-time American tune (I think!) being danced to at the University of Limerick, Ireland (or so the video says!)

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's mine one time through. The hardest part for me, was NOT lapsing into DUD for what felt like triplets... when each measure actually had an eighth note 'pick up note' from the previous measure, which really should be picked UDU! Played on my Collings MT2O mandolin.

3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Here are the TABs and Stand.Notation. from TheSessions
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...3&d=1269626549

mc
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OK, had time for just a little fun.... here's the same audio, with some photos inserted (some subliminal mando video left in between!)

5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Very strange, i have a tremendous urge for BBQ and to purchase a Collings MT-20,
    what's up with that??

mc
  6. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Another great tune to work on! This is my simple version, one time through, on my Old Wave.

Barbara, I really enjoyed your version and like Michael it made me hungry.

Eric
  7. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Nice job, Barbara and Eric. Barbara, your version with the pickup notes has a great feel to it, and I like your use of open string drones, Eric.

This is the first tune I learned in GDGD tuning and I've had it up on YouTube for quite a while now. So I'm cheating on this one. I think I came up with my version from listening to recordings of Bruce Molsky playing it and trying to translate some of that to the mandolin. Mandolin is a Gilchrist Model 1.

8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Nice job, both ya'll. Did you notice just how pretty, and how similar looking these 3 mandos are?
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    They all sound real purty too. Ovals rule!!
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Agreed!!!!!
  11. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Is this tune PETA approved? Nice job, all, and yes the ovals are nice. Still, I'll have to make due with my f-hole mando...
  12. Solas
    Solas
    Great work, guys. Here's my attempt:

13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Solas, very nice! Wish we could have seen your left hand better, that was some fancy fingerwork there!
  14. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Um, I can't say as your second version made me hungry Barbara, but the audio was nice.
  15. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Great work everyone. I'm going to pretend that you all already knew that tune. Please don't correct me.
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely versions from you all - what a great tune too!
  17. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I've had this one up for about a year and a half. I think I'll try and do a new video of it this week. I love this tune!

18. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Yee Ha! I kin dance to that. Sgarrity nails it!!
  19. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Excellent job sgarrity!
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Lovely sounding mandos from everyone. Here's my version:

21. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    OS, that was great!
    Even if it's not the version and speed I have been trying to play.

And very nice playing by everyone else above, too.
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS, great to have you back, with your lightning fingers!
  23. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Great versions from all of you!! I will try to learn this one when I get some time to.
  24. Eddie Sheehy
    This is a really cool tune , and great looking crubeens... I don't know this one but since it has a Limerick connection I'll get right on it...
  25. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Now Eddie, no limericks, this is a family forum after all...
  26. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's mine on my Newson A5 Oval Hole.

27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Dave, that truly had an old-time feel to it! Great sounding! You look like you are about to break out dancing while playing!!!
  28. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    David - great version and what a SWEET mandolin! Is that the Newson that was at Gryphon?
  29. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Yeah, David. Was that the Newson that was was Gryphon? I see it's not there anymore.....

Great playing all, BTW!!!
  30. Jim Kirkland
    Jim Kirkland
    David, great sounding mando.
  31. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Yes my Newson is the one that was at Gryphon. They still have the Newson mandola but that was out of my price range. Exquisite looking and playing instruments.
  32. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Oh, you lucky, lucky man! Hearty congratulations to you on snagging that one!
  33. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    David, wonderful playing, and I love the Newson oval. You had to mention there was a Newson mandola at Gryphon's. That looks so good it hurts.
  34. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Way to own that pig OS! David, "jaunty." Made me wanna dance. A+ for both you.
  35. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Yeah, David that Newson does sound great! Congrats on the new purchase. I got to play that one back in December when I stopped by Gryphon for my lifer (birder lingo..meaning first time seeing or experiencing) visit there. It's a goodin'!

What an AWESOME store...I must have spent at least 3 hours there picking on just about every mando there while I had the bridge on my bovier adjusted.
  36. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Not perfect, but I refuse to agonize over it like I did St. Patrick's Day.

37. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm really getting the hang of it but it's hard not to dance while I'm playing...
  38. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice playing Martin, but watch your alternating down and up strokes.
  39. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thx OS. What should I watch them do? Should each and every stroke alternate, or is it D on the 1, U on the 2, D on the 3, etc. If that's the case what about 3/4 time? I've always gotten frustrated when trying to figure out the "right" way of strumming/picking and end up just "doin' what comes natural," but I'm probably shooting myself in the (pig's) foot doing that.
  40. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like the slides and old time rhythm you had going Martin. Good for you on the speedy post too.
    I'm still obsessing. Partly, I think Don's spectacular rendition is to blame. I spent a day floundering around with GDGD tuning. It didn't seem like it should be that hard, but it felt like playing mandolin in some alternate universe.
  41. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thx Marcelyn. Of course as soon as I turned the camera off I immediately started getting better at it. >:o(
  42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Martin, if you click on the link in the original post, of the tune arrangement by Wendy Anthony, she explains the picking. Do you read standard notation?

Here's my take on pick direction. In 4/4 time, tap your foot 4 times, one for each quarter note. The notes you are playing when your foot is tapping down, you should pick down. If a tune has 4 quarter notes (only) in the measure, pick them all down (it's tempting to pick them D U D U). If a measure has 8 eighth notes, pick that measure DUDUDUDU. If you are counting when you are picking, you'd count a measure 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & (to come up with 8 notes... to account for eighth notes). You pick down on the count, and up on the "&". If you have a measure (like this tune does) that has a last eighth note, that is picked up, even if there is no down note to pick right before it.

In waltz time (3/4), you pick the quarter notes down. If a measure is 3 quarter notes, they are all picked down. If it's 6 eighth notes you'd pick it DU DU DU, as there are 3 counts, so you'd count it 1 & 2 & 3 & (to account for eighth notes). Same thing, down on the number, up on the "&"

In either of these time signatures, if you have a mixture of quarter, dotted quarter, and eighth notes, you may end up picking a couple of down strokes in a row, for example, if it's 4/4 time, and the measure is a quarter, 2 eighths, quarter, quarter, it would be picked D DU D D.

Jig rhythms (jigs, slip-jigs & slides) 6/8, 9/8, & 12/8. In a jig, there are six counts (eighth notes) but two BEATS.... on counts 1 & 4. You should pick count 1 & 4 with a down stroke. Most people pick it as DUD DUD, but you can achieve the same thing by picking them DDU, DDU. Once you get going, there's not much difference in how those two feel.... you still have 2 down picks with 1 up pick between, it just ends up being in a slightly different place. The main thing is that your counts of 1 & 4 are picked down. It is, of course, possible to pick a jig DUDUDU, but I am of the school of thought that plays it DUD DUD.
  43. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Martin, yes Barbara's explanation seems pretty comprehensive.
  44. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks Barbara. Yes, I do read notation. And your explanation makes perfect sense. The short version is "pick down on the downbeat."
  45. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Martin, you are right... I tend to get wordy sometimes..... :-) I went into such detail in case you (or anyone else reading this) didn't read notation! I believe that there are people out there who play, but don't really have any idea about quarter notes, eighth notes, etc! So, when you tell them, pick DU DU DU DU, they take that literally, without taking into account timing...
  46. Eddie Sheehy
    Here we go, get your foot tappin' - Played on a Dearstone D1A

47. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Sounds like you've been playing it for years Eddie. Nice.
  48. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    OK, i have read Barbara's post at least 4 times now and i am convinced that i speak English as a second language. or at least music. In my defense, i have played guitar for about 50 years and, due to the varied influences of Elizabeth Cotton, Tom Paxton, Joan Baez, and Pete Seegar always finger-picked. the first time in memory i have held a pick in my hand was 4 months ago when i aquired my first mandolin. i;m afraid that the only way to learn how to play this instrument correctly is, like Golf, go back in time and start at a much earlier Age.

mc
  49. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike... what's the problem? First time I held a pick in my hand was just about 5 years ago... before that, it was piano as a child! Anything is possible, it's good for these OLD brains to be learning new stuff!

I saw this video for the first time a couple of days ago.... it's amazing to watch his technique... the video angles are just great....

50. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Whoa! Unfreakin'-believeable! I'm sending that video to my nephew who is studying classical guitar at the Cleveland Institute.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast