FretNot-Newport News luthier

1. John Kasley
    John Kasley
    Folks, I just had a setup done on my '35 Gibson A-50. I suspect this instrument had the factory set up when I acquired it last year. Suffice it to say that Marguerite, the proprietor of FretNot in Newport News did a superb job at a very reasonable price. She did a set up and a partial refret on my 2001 F5 MM a couple of years ago and that work also was top notch. After living in the SF Bay area for many years and having all my acoustic instrument work done by Frank Ford at Gryphon, my bar is pretty high and Marguerite met it.
    So if you're needing work done on your ax, I can unreservedly recommend FretNot.
    http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/

Full disclosure: I have no business/financial interest in FretNot.
  2. jim_n_virginia
    jim_n_virginia
    John what was the turn around time for the job? I have called a few times and it seems like every time I called she was booked up and it would be weeks and weeks to get anything done so I never used her services.
  3. John Kasley
    John Kasley
    I e-mailed her with a description of the work I needed done. She replied next day saying she was busy but would email me back when she had a slot open. Her next email came about a week later. I took it to her shop on a Monday, she called me 3 days later saying it was ready...so that was pretty fast in my experience.
    I appreciated the opportunity to "make an appointment" for the work to be done, rather than just dropping it off and hope for the best.

I had essentially the same experience about 4 years ago with my F5MM and a partial refret...although the turnaround on that was a few business days longer.
  4. John Kasley
    John Kasley
    BTW, she had some medical issues a couple of years ago and wasn't taking in any new work....maybe you were calling during that time period?

FWIW, she's a certified Martin repair facility.
  5. jim_n_virginia
    jim_n_virginia
    How much was the refret John if ya don't mind me asking! PM me if you don't wanna put it out there!
  6. Charles Johnson
    Charles Johnson
    Thats good news. Last time I hit her website a few months ago she was in the process closing down shop. I see its back up and running. Marguerite is a good luthier.

Charles Johnson