Mandolin for teaching Fiddle

1. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    How many of you in your own experience, think looking back, you may not have come to the mandolin first personally, but do you think if you had first been introduced to a mandolin, maybe only weeks prior, it would have helped you with the violin/fiddle?

-I know a bow and a pick are on different planets, but the fact that a mandolin has a more finite intonation, to better develope ones "model" for intonation.
    -My model has always been, "do-re-mi-sol-fa-la-ti." Didn't even know it was called Solfeg'e (sp?) until joining here. I guess the movie Sound of Music, kind of dates me. Though it was a hit earlier, it was out of fashion to like Walt Disney movies, when i first watched it. Still the ear worms got in.
    -Music doesn't seem to be running as rich through the collective stream of concousness, as it once was. When i was young, i seriously thought most everybody knew how to play a guitar.

Looks like i may have drifted, but my question still stands.
  2. billkilpatrick
    syntax! ...

it helped me a lot.
  3. walt33
    walt33
    "Fa" comes before "sol."

Yes, playing mando gave me a bit of a head start on fiddle because I had a real good idea where the notes are, although bowing is a whole 'nother thing.
  4. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    How funny is that? The words are switched around but the tones are still in order.

Try: "my-dog-has-fleas."

"My-fleas-have dogs" still sounds like D-G-B-D. What's up with that?