Pickguard

1. Shawshank
    Shawshank
    I'm a proud new owner of an M1. I have never seen one with a pickguard. I am a newbie. The one I bought already has about a dozen very fine scratches on it from being tested. Do people put pickguards on this instrument?
  2. billkilpatrick
    i've seen them ... meh! ... it's up to you.

just checked mine - no pick scratches, just a slight sheen - evidence of my finger rubbing the sound board.
  3. Shawshank
    Shawshank
    I e-mailed Big Muddy Mandolin in MO about the warranty and ended up corresp. w/the owner, founder. He says he started playing violin at age 60! He asked for my phone number and we're going to talk so he can explain to me why they don't use a pickguard on this one. I will probably put some clear plastic with the peel off backing. On the other hand, if I learn correct form it should end up like yours -- with a sheen.
  4. billkilpatrick
    mike is a gem ... they say "ask the man who owns one" if you want information but the man who makes them is all the better. i'd be interested in hearing why - how - he doesn't think they're necessary.
  5. Shawshank
    Shawshank
    He recognized you when I told him "billipatrick." I told him you said he's a gem. He liked that. We had a great conversation. About 45 minutes. He said the pickguard would mute the sound a bit on such a small body. In designing the M1, he just never added one. You could use one if you wanted to. He was not aware that a social group devoted especially to his mandolin even existed. He was happy about that.
  6. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    My pickguard is made of thin wood, about 3/64ths inch thickness. They are held in place with a Friction fit in the groove that is under the fingerboard. I have put a pin in one and am thinking of doing the other one with a pin. It has been OK for about 6 years.

The M-4 has one of Ebony, the M-1 is made of Cherry, then stained. it matches the Rosewood Fingerboard pretty well.

To keep the guard off the top I have put a 1/2 inch Cork disk on the Underside, positioned above one of the Braces. it doesn't interfere with the sound.
  7. billkilpatrick
    very clever! ... elevating it off the sound board - may we see photos?
  8. bmac
    bmac
    A pickguard is probably most important for a beginner. I wore a dip in the spruce where I was dragging my fingernail. It took me several years to stop that, but by that time it was too late. There is some awfully nice veneer available on ebay at moderate cost.

Bart
  9. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    I believe that A Flat top needs one more than a carved top instrument. The top slopes down away from the strings on a carved top Mandolin so there is less chance of touching it with the pick.
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I'm always baffled by the concept of a pickguard -- it makes me realize just how different people's right hand motion can be. My own right hand with the pick just never gets anywhere near the wooden body, and neither does any of my fingers. I can't imagine playing in an style that has the pick hitting the wood, or that has a finger sitting on the soundboard, or that has the ball of the hand resting on the string behind the bridge, or any of the other permutations one reads on the Cafe.

Still, all these techniques seem to work -- one hears lots of great players that use similarly unintuitive (to me) approaches.

Martin
  11. epicentre
    epicentre
    My first reply

Well, everyone has to start somewhere.

Everything I've ever read says the top of the mandolin HAS to vibrate. My thinking is that a pickguard attached to the top would inhibit the vibrations.........plastic on spruce!

BUT, the Wurlitzer I used to own had a pickguard, and it was a super-sweet little mando.

So, I dunno.

Suffice to say my pick never touches the top, so, even though I like the looks of a pickguard, none for me.

Mostly Celtic/ol/time/melody player.
  12. Shawshank
    Shawshank
    My pick doesn't touch the top so far, either. I haven't put anything on it and I have no plans to at present. Thanks everyone for your advice and ideas.
  13. shanzelka
    shanzelka
    I am working with Doug to get a walnut pickguard and matching armrest for my Big Muddy Mandola (the back and sides are walnut). After I get them, and get them installed, I will post pictures!
  14. bmac
    bmac
    I purchased my Mid-Mo roughly 10 years ago and played the daylights out of it. At that time I had no idea of proper right hand technique and probably should have had a pick guard as my third fingernail wore a dent in the soft spruce top. No wear from the pick itself, just the fingernail.

At this point I use a floating right hand and a flat pick and probably wouldn't have the same problem.
  15. shanzelka
    shanzelka
    Had to send my Muddy back to Missouri to correct a finish issue. It should be back at Dusty Strings today, where Doug's pick guard and armrest will be installed, for pickup tomorrow! I will post pictures!
  16. shanzelka
    shanzelka
    Dusty Strings is trying to figure out how to install the pick guard. Once a solution is reached, I will share. I hope to have it attached and ready to go tomorrow or the next day. I have been without my Muddy for over two weeks and its driving me crazy!
  17. shanzelka
    shanzelka
    Well, Dusty Strings was unable to install the pickguard. Doug would like caliper measures to see if he can design something that will work. Bummed, but should have my mando back tomorrow.
  18. bratsche
    bratsche
    I can't imagine any sort of pickguard working with a BigMuddy/Mid-Mo, other than one that's made to stick on the surface. There just doesn't seem to be enough room there for anything else, with the fretboard so low.

bratsche