Lament For The Country House Dance

1. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    I discovered this tune a couple of weeks ago and just love it. It's by Junior Crehan and was written to express his sadness over the outlawing of house dances in Ireland in the 1930's. My goal is to one day be able to do it justice on the fiddle but
    my fiddle playing is definitely not ready for sharing at this point.

I took this version from an untitled fiddle mp3 I stumbled on but would love to hear Junior's version if anyone knows where I might listen/buy it without having to spend $40 on his 2 CD set.

Eric

2. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Beautiful tune and very nice playing!
  3. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Sad but very pretty tune Eric. Nicely done.
  4. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Very sweet.
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You really nailed the feeling behind this tune in your playing, Eric. Great job.
  6. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Lovely tune, tone, and playing, Eric. Thanks for posting it.
  7. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Thanks, everyone. The tune fit my mood yesterday, as it was snowing. I know how Don felt when he posted Hard Times a couple of days ago.

Eric
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely, lovely playing there Eric!
  9. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Great air, great playing!
  10. billkilpatrick
    very nice, eric - lovely sounding instrument, can you tell us who made it? found an article on the public dance hall act of 1935 but didn't see anything to explain why house dances were banned. the church was mentioned, as was the government's effort to curb ira activity, but nothing definitive.
  11. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Thanks, Jill, Mark and Bill.

Bill, I'm playing an Old Wave made by Bill Bussman.
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    A couple of good books that might catch your interest that might be related to the dance-houses are: "The New Policeman" and a follow-on book "The Last of The High Kings" by Kate Thompson. These are billed as kid's books but I think you'll find them mighty interesting... specially the tunes at the end of the chapters in The New Policeman.
  13. John W.
    John W.

I’ve not strayed much from Eric’s recording…which inspired me to play/record/post a version.

I’m not sure if the following video was available when Eric posted, but it may be of interest to some people:

https://youtu.be/HWIIhGbyP8M

Played on Vega cylinder back mandolin.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a beautiful tune, John. Amazing that no-one has tried it since the original posting back in 2010. Your solo version here with the chordal embellishments is so well played and you get so much feeling into this one. No other accompaniment needed.
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's very pretty, clear as a bell.
  16. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    This is beautifully done, John. Like John K, I really liked the use of chords. And, having tried these laments occasionally, it is really difficult to keep time, but you achieve it perfectly. A great tune that I didn't know.
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John, makes me realise how much I enjoy the mandolin.
    You have great sense of timing, with warm feeling.
    I sense that you've played it with a bit of nostalgia but also optimism for the future. I really like that.
  18. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great tone on that Vega, John -- is that new to you? One of the occasionals in our group plays a Vega cylinderback and it's a great instrument, but the tone isn't quite as sweet and full as yours.

It's not a tune I've come across before, but I enjoy it a lot! I've previously shared my story on SAW as to how I may have heard Junior Crehan play at a pub session in Doolin in 1991, in the SAW thread for another of his tunes (link).

Junior's own version of this tune is on Youtube (his playing starts at 3:40 minutes in the clip, after a long spoken intro where he talks about the background of the tune): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWIIhGbyP8M

Martin
  19. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you all…much appreciated.
    John K - I was also very surprised to find only one posting of the tune.
    Dennis - If I can get “clear as a bell” I’m more than happy.
    Richard/Martin- I didn’t know the tune either, until last week.
    Simon - I’m very pleased that I reminded you why you love the mando.
    Martin - Yes, the instrument is fairly new to me. I’d seen the Junior video (link in my clip above)…and I’ve had a quick read over your JC story… Whoever it was that eve obviously had the respect of the locals.
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Such a sensitive playing with good tone! The Vega seems just right for this tune.
  21. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you Frithjof…I agree, the Vega did seem to suit the tune very well.