Week #54 ~ Shebeg & Shemore / Si Bheag Si Mhor (O'Carolan)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    That is really beautiful Mark, I have to say it's so far up the neck for me I need oxygen!!!! Fantastic and inspiring, I'm just starting to learn third position and it ain't easy (for me anyway) and you make it look so simple. If only......I'll keep plugging away at my own laborious pace....
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well Mark, if there was a tune called "O'Carolan's Lullaby" this would be it - so sweet and shutting out the world's woes. Just too short, it was.

I do feel very much honored to be in a social group with the ultimate Video Vizard and Banjo Babysitter.
  3. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Mark, welcome! That was some exceptional playing. Mighty fine indeed. And your mandolin sounds wonderful.
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    I thought I recognized Mark. I remember that Whiskey Before Breakfast video... Looking forward to a lot more posts Mark.
  5. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Bertram: Banjo babysitter!!!
    That made me laugh. BTW, in case you haven't seen it, Tim and I have another duo video, called Colloquium: Dark & Light. It was too long to fit on YouTube, but it's available at Tim's site, at:
    http://timweed.com/video.html
    second to last video. It's a little more "out there" than the Banjo babysitter vid, but similar in style.

Thanks for the kind comments, all. I'd forgotten about the social groups, and then I found them again a few days ago. I see lots of cool tunes on the TOC, so I hope to give some of those a shot soon, too.

Cheers
    Mark
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yep Mark, I did watch the Colloqium: Dark & Light. I like that funny Flight-of-the-Bumblebee part in the second half.
    Not that Tim would need a babysitter, of course - he has fascinating ways of neck-bending and string-bending that show what a delicate instrument that really is. Far out.
  7. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Here I go!!

8. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Nice, I liked the register shift on the second part, gives it a different voice.

Cheers
    Mark RT
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Full and warm sound again, Kyle. Need no heating with that one.
    I feel sorry you lost your cap
  10. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice playing and sound, Kyle.
  11. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    haha Bertram! It really is rare to see me without my hat on... consider yourself lucky
    Thanks for the comments!
    Mark - I go to the lower register in the second part because I find it much easier to play than having to go way up the neck on my high D string. I think it sounds nice though
  12. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    wow Mark... your version was fantastic! You really play with feeling. Loving all the chords too!
  13. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Kyle, very nice. love that big sound! how do you have it tuned?
  14. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Thanks, I tune my bouzouki GDAD.
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle, that was beautiful! Tempts me so to try out a Bouzouki!

I live with a constant hat-wearer... but he's bald! You've been hiding a nice head of hair under that hat! More, more!
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Don't worry Barb - constant hat-wearing suffocates the hair roots, so Kyle will develop a clearing like most of us in no time...
  17. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Really nice Kyle. Great timing. You know its tight when you can imagine yourself dancing to it.
  18. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Wow! So many enjoyable and diverse versions of a beautiful tune and they were all great! Well done, everyone!

Here's mine played on the Old Wave.

Eric

19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That Old Wave has a wonderful bell-like tone, Eric, like a child's musical box. You've got a wand there to do magic!
    Somehow the B part appears short - what version is this?
  20. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice and musical playing, Eric.
    Very nice playing and interesting versions by everyone else above, too
  21. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Thank you, gentlemen.

Bertram, I found the tab here on the Cafe and maybe playing it ABAB made it sound that way or maybe I just played it wrong; it surely wouldn't be the first time.

Eric
  22. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great job to everyone. I'm late, but I invested so much practice time, I had to get something posted. So, here it finally is, played on an 83 Flatiron A5-2.

23. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Terrific. Lord I wish I could do those chords/double stops like you do. It really adds a lot.
  24. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Beautiful, Marcelyn.
  25. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Marcelyn, The time you invested definitely paid off, well done!

Eric
  26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very intricate and elaborate version Marcelyn, a bit like two mandolins in one or, as Simon & Garfunkel would have called it, a canticle. Though your face seems to express doubts ("what the h... she's playing there?"), I can assure you it was lovely!
  27. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks guys. Bertrum, you have the gift of mind reading. I think my face needs to learn to shut up.
  28. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Nice playing, Marcelyn!
    Cheers
    Mark RT
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice work there Marcelyn, and as always, I really love the sound of your Flatiron!
  30. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Have had a few requests for a transcription of my version, so here is a PDF with tab and notation.

Si Bheag Si Mhor arranged for mandolin

Cheers
    Mark
  31. Eddie Sheehy
    I had a few requests too.. but I'm still going to keep posting...
  32. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Aw, Eddie, I didn't ask you to stop posting. I just wanted you to play "Down Yonder" or "On a Hill Far Away."
  33. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Mark, Thanks for the transcription. I'll definitely be working on that one.

Eric
  34. Toycona
    Toycona
    Mark, How tender. Nicely done.
  35. Eddie Sheehy
    I'll get right on both those tunes Marcelyn... and maybe even do a Solo - so low I can't be heard...
  36. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Inspired by Kyle's register-changing version above, I'm trying something similar to save a stretch towards the end of the B-part on this:

Played on the Shippey OM.
  37. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Nicely done Mike.
  38. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Absolutely beautiful and soulful, Mike. Thank you!
  39. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A full world of harmonies Mike, made to sound like the instrument did all this by itself.

One hint: try to pronounce the melody part a little more at the beginning - if you play in a session and start a tune, it's easier for the other players to recognize the tune that way; later, when everybody have joined in, you can let the whole orchestral beauty unfold and have their eyes glisten with incredulous wonder.
  40. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's really lovely, Mike. I could listen to a CD full of that music. I'm curious how your octave style would translate to the mandolin. Have you tried it out?
  41. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Many thanks for the supportive feedback - especially Bertram, I have yet to brave the real world of sessions but your tip is very constructive. My main concern if I ever had the chance to start a session tune would be that someone else would join in and start playing twice as fast as I am capable!!

Marcelyn - I don't have a proper mandolin at the moment, only a banjo mandolin, which is punchy but probably lacks the sustain needed for the waltzes and airs. However your comment has reminded me to get it out of its case and maybe try it for recording a SAW or two!

cheers
  42. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Mike that was the business! Lovely playing indeed sir and nice Shippey as well!
  43. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    My main concern if I ever had the chance to start a session tune would be that someone else would join in and start playing twice as fast as I am capable!!

...yes, it happens. But not on a slow O'Carolan tune.
    For dance tunes, it helps to listen to the speed they do them at the session, then woodshed up to that by consequent tailoring of the melody down to what is needed for recognition, replacing fast ornaments and difficult little turns by what the large instrument is good at: sustain.
  44. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle

David's backing me up on his lovely Santa Cruz guitar. Very nicely fingerstyle arrangement, too. This has been a favorite tune of mine for a long time, though I usually don't get to play melody on it. Playing harmony over David's melody was a treat.

I'm playing my almost-completed (assembled in the white) octave fanned-fret 5-string Mandonator.
  45. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Listening and watching is OUR treat! Lovely arrangement, lovely playing!
  46. cwboal
    cwboal
    What Barbara said! I've been meaning to learn this tune for some time and all these versions are a real inspiration.
  47. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    That was beautiful guys. I have really enjoyed your video's.
    Topher. You were kind enough to spend some time with me this last Winter and let
    me play your wife's mandonator. I'm glad you didn't have that octave there.
    That thing is way cool. John Reischman had just picked up one of your five strings.
    It was fun watching him jam on that.
    Gary
  48. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Outstanding version, outstanding performance. Expectations busted.
  49. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle
    Thank you all! DAvid and I look forward to making more videos together.

John Reischsman playing jazz on the 5-string was AMAZING! Hope to see you at the Wintercamp again next year - whenever it is, now that the management has changed.
  50. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Was sitting around tonight, trying to remember tunes for the Robert Burns Dinner Saturday after next, and dredged this out of the ol' mental peat bog. Don't know how I missed posting back in Week 54. There's been a lot of tunes under the bridge since then.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast