Week #54 ~ Shebeg & Shemore / Si Bheag Si Mhor (O'Carolan)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's tune is Shebeg & Shemore (Si Bheag Si Mhor), a tune written by O'Carolan.

Here is a link to the various ABC's and discussions & comments on thesessions. There is the main submitted ABC, but then there are a number of alternates in the comments section.

Here are a couple more ABC's I found here:
    http://internet.cybermesa.com/~keati...c/SHEBOKAN.ABC

X: 1
    T:Shebeg and Shemore
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    C:O'Carolan
    R:waltz
    N:arranged from Fiddler's Fakeboo
    K:D
    de |:"D"f3 e d2| d3 e f2| "G"B4 A2| "D"F4 A2| "G" BA Bc d2|!
    "A" e4 de| "D"f4 e2| d4 f2| "G"B4 e2| "D"A4 d2| "F#m"F4 E2|!
    "Bm"D4 f2| "G"B4 e2| "A"A4 dc| "D"d4 "(A)"c2| "(D)"d4 de:|:!
    "D"f3 e d2| "A7"ed ef a2| "G"b4 a2| "D"f3 e d2| "A"e4 a2| "Bm" f4 e2|!
    "G"d4 B2| "A" A4 BA| "F#m"F4 E2| "Bm"D4 f2| "G"B4 e2| "A"A4 a2|!
    "Em"ba gf ed| "A7"e2 fe dc| "D"d4 c2 |1 d4 de:|2 d4||

X: 2
    T:Captain O'Kane
    M:6/8
    C:Turlaugh O'Carolan
    R:waltz
    B:after O'Neill's Music of Ireland
    K:G
    (F/2D/2)| "Em"(B,EF) (G2 F/2E/2) | "D"(F/2G/2A/2G/2F/2E/2) (DEF) |"Em" (
    GBG) (B/2A/2G/2F/2E/2D/2)| "Em"(B,G).G G2 (G/2D/2) |!
    "Em"(B,EF) (G2 F/2E/2)| "D"(F/2G/2A/2G/2F/2E/2) (DEF) | "Em"(GB).B (B/2A
    /2G/2F/2E/2D/2)| "Em"(B,E).E E2||!
    E/2/F/2| "G"(GB).B B2 (A/2G/2) |"D"(FA).A A2 (d/2c/2)| "Em"(Be^d) (e>fg)
    |"Em"(Be^d) e2 (e/2f/2) |!
    "G"(g>fe) (d>cB) | "D"(AF).d (DEF) |"Em"(GBG) (B/2A/2G/2F/2E/2D/2) | "Em
    "(B,E).E E2||
    % 1 measure 6/8 = 2 measures 3/4 !

% Output from ABC2Win Version 2.1 i on 11/28/2004

Here is a link to a page with several to choose from

Here is a link to O'Carolan tab here on mandolincafe.

I haven't really checked any of the TABs or ABC's out, so I don't know how 'right' or consistent they are!
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here's one I made earlier...

Played on my 1921 Ajr, using Nigel Gatherer's ABC.

X:480
    T:Si Beag Si Mhor
    T:Sheebeg Sheemore
    S:Sessions etc
    Z:Nigel Gatherer
    R:air
    M:3/4
    K:D
    de | f2 fe d2 | d3 e d2 | B4 A2 | F4 A2 | BA Bc d2 | e4 de |
    f4 e2 | d4 f2 | B4 e2 | A4 d2 | F4 (3EFE | D4 f2 |
    B4 e2 | A4 dc | d6 | d4 ||
    de | f2 fe d2 | ed ef a2 | b4 a2 | f4 ed | e4 a2 | f4 (3efe |
    d4 B2 | B4 BA | F4 E2 | D4 f2 | B4 e2 | A4 a2 |
    ba gf ed | e4 dc | d6 | d4 ||

Incidentally, is there a reason why Capt O'Kane is listed in the two posts above as well? That's another lovely Carolan tune, but unrelated to Si Beag Si Mhor.

Martin
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Here it is on a Beard Zouk - GGDDAADD

5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's wonderful David, I'm glad you gave us the guitar version.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    These are all great. Eddie and David, you're inspiring me to try something with more chords than I usually attempt, but since I already know the melody to this tune and since I admitted chords were my greatest weakness on the mandolin, maybe it's a sign. Can you tell me what chords your playing in your versions?
  7. Susanne
    Susanne
    Oh, lads, that was lovely. Absolutely gorgeous!! I've loved this tune from the first time I heard it. Then I wanted to learn it for years, and then I learned it on the whistle.
  8. Susanne
    Susanne
    I made a simple little recording of it. Please tell me if you have problems opening the page. I'm using a new website software and have never used the video feature before and even less linked to it!!!
    Sorry for my oopsie mistakes that sort of ruin the lovely tune.. I just wasn't in the mood to record another time.
    I tried the whistle but.....it's been too long since I touched it. I might practice a bit and try again..

Sí bheag sí mhór.
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Hi, I'm Tosh and I'm new here although I have been admiring you all for a while now. Thought I'd take the plunge and have a go. I've been playing three years and play a Paul Shippey Cherry A4. Great stuff from everyone, brilliant. I also put a piece in the MP3 section which I did on a Zoom H2 and Audacity. All the best....Tosh
  10. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I need to learn how to embed a you tube video!
  11. Susanne
    Susanne
    Click "reply", don't use Quick reply. Then click the You Tube icon, and a text field will open. You can either insert the embed code from You Tube, or what is called the You Tube id. That's the last little code in the url, after the =. So, in this url http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g5qEV_Jiqw, the You Tube id is -g5qEV_Jiqw. Then click ok. Preview to see that everything looks ok. That should work.
  12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Yep, it's there. I put the whole address in and that is why it probably didn't work. Anyway Si Beag Si Mor ...........
  13. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice, Tosh!! What kind of mandolin is that?
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Tosh, welcome to the group! Great playing, and a beautiful mando you have there!
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great versions by everyone! Martin, I'm to blame for Capt. Kane being there, I copied and pasted the ABC from that site, and for some reason I guess they had it as a medley or something. Then, Michael just created TAB for the ABC's that I'd submitted.

David, as far as I'm concerned, ya'll can submit your vidoes on any instrument you want.... I enjoy hearing the different ones... we're not limited to mando's by any means!

Susi, welcome back. I was able to access that video just fine!
  16. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Many thanks Barbara and Susi, it's a Paul Shippey Cherry mandolin, I got it second hand but it's great. He's currently building me a 10 string which will be exciting http://www.paulshippey.co.uk/rosewood%20mandolins.htm
    I'll contribute when I can......
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great versions all!

-David, your guitar version is AWESOME!

-Tosh, welcome to the group, really like the sound of that Shippey!
  18. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Tosh, welcome to the group. Nice clean picking here.

Great versions by everyone above, in particular by David, our multi-media multi-instrumentalist.

Susi, welcome back. My computer software is pretty current, but it wants me to install a plug-in for your video and then doesn't find one. I use the latest version of Firefox.
  19. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Here is what I have learned from the Marilynn Mair book 'The Complete Mandolinist':

20. Susanne
    Susanne
    Manfred, I installed Firefox two days ago and it plays!!! What software does it ask for? I think it normally plays in iTunes or Quicktime.
  21. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Great stuff all. David I love that dance mix. How the heck do you folks get these tunes up so fast! I've played back up to this tune a million times - now I have a chance to learn the melody. Lovely tune.
  22. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Very nice everyone. Welcome Tosh--fine playing. Great to have you back, Susi. David, your Dance Mix is especially fine.
  23. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    All good stuff so far!

There was an older video of mine with that tune but I recorded it again anyway, just for fun:

We'll have a session tonight again, and I expect the stepdancers to request this one, played real fast, to dance to it - an approach that didn't occur to O'Carolan I guess
  24. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great, Bertram.
    I am sure you will get the dancers moving.
  25. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Many thanks for the warm welcomes and kind words from everyone and great playing by all as always. Keep inspiring me!!!!
  26. Susanne
    Susanne
    Rob: I got this tune up so fast ONLY because I know the tune since before and didn't work hard to play it decently. There are several other tunes on here that I never managed to learn. Often I'm not even halfway to learn one until it's next week and a new tune. I really do think a tune a week is too short time. But then I just skip the tunes I can't learn so fast, and play something else instead... ("other tunes")
  27. Eddie Sheehy
    My post was created last year... too lazy to add another one.... besides, I was much slimmer and handsome then...
  28. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Manfred. However, there were none this time - low attendance in general.
  29. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Great versions so far, a good swinging rythym to all.

Here's my first ever post so excuse the mistakes and the large exhale at the end!

30. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Absolutely gorgeous!
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Harry, welcome! That was lovely, I love this tune with all those double stops! Tell us about yourself, and your beautiful mandolin!
  32. Susanne
    Susanne
    That was gorgeous, Harry!!! And I love your mandolin!!!
  33. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Welcome, Harry.
    Very musical first post.
  34. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Very nice, harry. Love the doublestops.
  35. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great first post there Harry, and your Gallatin sounds lovely as well!
  36. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Totally agree Harry, awesome and a lovely Weber to boot!
  37. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Your all very kind, as Jill correctly identified I'm playing a Weber Gallatin and have had it for the past 2 months.

Before that I was mostly playing Irish tunes on wooden flute, double stops are impossible on that so hence me trying to cram in as many as possible here!

I've been following the last few weeks here and what a great resource it is, look forward to following all of your posts and contributing from time to time.
  38. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Big one for a first post Harry, so I guess we can expect great things from you in the future
    Doublestops is a noble objective, I'll say
  39. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Martin, whenever i see the ABC's i'll try to xlate into .tef files. i spent 60 USD on the TablEdit app and i intend to get my monies worth:-). i'll do the tab's/ stnd.note for any one who want's them. jsut give me a shout!

michael
  40. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Nice versions all around! Took a stab at it this morning.

Cheers
    Mark R-T
  41. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Mark, this is great. An incredibly musical rendition. Great tone, too
  42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mark, I wanna learn to play it JUST like that! Beautifully expressive...
  43. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Beautiful playing!!
  44. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Mark, that is one sweet sounding mandolin! rings more like an oval hole! tell us about her, plz. great rendition!!!!
  45. Eddie Sheehy
    Fantastic! Is that a Weber Fern?
  46. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Wow! Well done Mark. Awesome arrangement.
  47. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Gorgeous. Lovely lovely rendition.
  48. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Thanks, all! Glad you enjoyed it. The mandolin is an '09 Altman F5. I find it to be an exceptional mandolin, and very versatile. It can sound very sweet, but also cut through just about anything if you need to.
  49. Eddie Sheehy
    Hey look... Mark played with Mike Marshall... Those Altmans sure sound sweet...

50. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great version there Mark - it has a very harp-like feel to it, as befitting an O'Carolan tune!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast