Whiskey Before Breakfast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I know it seems implausible, but I've checked the table of contents and what have you and we don't seem to have this tune on here yet. So here it is:

2. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Well played sir! This tune always gets me pumped
  3. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Nice version, cool chords, great pace. Thanks!
    Cheers
    Mark R-T
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Kyle, and thanks Mark - I've seen your awesome YouTube of this with that close friend of yours who's very good on guitar
  5. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Actually, WBB was kind of what started this whole thing off, back on the main board. I think this is as good a time as any to post a link back to the original - Whiskey Before Breakfast Challenge. Maybe it would be interesting to have some of the original contributors who are still here do another version, to see how much we've all advanced in the past year.
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    ...And if we haven't advanced?
  7. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    That rocked as usual OS. Although mine is not up to OS' caliber, here's the one I posted on YT about a year ago. Fun tune; it has some real fast chords changes at the end of the B part.

8. Eddie Sheehy
    I haven't played this tune but a handful of times in the last year. I think it sounded better with the whiskey... I guess I'd better get some practice in...
  9. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    OS, another great job! Always enjoy your playing
  10. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    I'm learning this one; boy do I have a long way to go from my little first position tune. The videos are very inspiring and give me something to strive for! Great picking!
  11. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Trying to catch up:
    I learned this tune (in slow motion) two years ago from my first mandolin DVD, which was the late Butch's 'You can play Bluegrass 2'.
    I have now tried to get it to medium tempo.
  12. jamann
    jamann
    Manfred, Very nicely done and well played! I really like that version your playing there. Thanks for that, I enjoyed.
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, nice job Manfred, and Butch's versions of these tunes are always great.
  14. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Here is my current effort playing along with OldSausage:
    (I have found I can keep that pace if I pull out 2/3 of the notes)

Since Oldsausage posted my current effort below to fix my posting problem I thought I would change this to my original effort 15 months ago

15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Chris, if you've done "Go Advanced" then just paste the code in, i.e. just the bit kCGJm4zuxT8, like this:

Good job Chris!
  16. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Ah thanks, I learned something new
  17. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    From Calyfornya home of the Govenator comes Whiskey Before Breakfast on the Mandonator.

18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job David. The weird thing is, when I'm watching this video I'm sure I can see my own face reflected in the mandonator.
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Funny - when I am watching it, I can't see my face reflected there - must be some bug in the YouTube server...
  20. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Nothing wrong with my server, I'm sure I can actually see OS's reflection in the mandonator.
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I see his reflection, too, but I should see mine, shouldn't I?
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, I'm not watching it now, so you can't see my face any more.
  23. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    My, what big eyes you have on the mandonator OS. Did you drink a lot of coffee that day?
  24. Susanne
    Susanne
    A celebration to the mandolin and to being able to drink whiskey.

25. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff Susi !!!!! In my case it should be 'Cider Before Breakfast'........ I compiled an abc file of drinking tunes once, sure I still have it....yes, I have linked it here http://mandolins.yolasite.com/news.php
  26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    After breakfast is before breakfast, John, so the time of consumption can be any time except during breakfast.
    In a similar way, one can easily evade any "never on Sunday" principles by living near the date line.

Anyway, very nicely innocent and pastoral sounding versions, Susi and John - the devil hasn't got a leg to stand on there
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a wonderful concept of time, Bertram! Did you perhaps know a Mr A Einstein in another time zone? Remember his old chestnut of "Does this station stop at the next train?" Now I feel totally free to go and have a good malt before playing this afternoon - it always makes us think that we are playing better, but in fact just hides all the bad notes!
  28. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    Here is a version of this tune I recorded back in April of 2009.

I Still like playing it.

29. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    John, it's a little bit like asking someone on the isle of Barra "which way to Castlebay?" - he might answer "both".
    Mr. Einstein is easy, but only until gravity gets involved - such as you experience after a few drams. Where it really gets weird is when you fall into a black hole (e.g. as provided by the Ardbeg distillery) - time is verrrrry slow then
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Did that bottle start off full,Terry, or has the spirit just evaporated since April 2009?
    Bertram, you are more of Scot than many of my countrymen are. You have a great sense of our quirky humour and you obviously know Scotland well too. When are you next coming over?
  31. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks John, I do feel very much honored! I guess it's a soul thing. Don't know yet when I will have the opportunity to travel, though.

Re Terry's bottle - I guess it's what distillers call the angels' share
  32. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    I'll post a couple different versions I've done of this tune to show how solid of a tune it is

This is on octave in a sawmill type tuning (ADAD)

33. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    And if Dickey Betts played Whiskey Before Breakfast

34. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    thanks Jim -that was fun
  35. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Hey Jim, nice Tele!! Sounds awesome... on both instruments
  36. billkilpatrick
    contrary to how it sounds, no drink was taken for the making of this film:

37. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yeehaa Bill!
    Thanks for a dejavu: At the age of 18, after nine years of classic violin lessons, my playing sounded exactly like yours in this video. And you made it in - what time - one year or less? You do have got talent and I don't, so there!
  38. billkilpatrick
    funny you should say that ... i've been neglecting my mandolin of late ...
  39. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Bill, where have you been hiding? Great stuff....
  40. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Since the first tune I heard on my Black A5 was Whiskey Before Breakfast.
    [In the white] I thought that ought to be my first post.

Gary
  41. GKWilson
    GKWilson

Gary
  42. Eddie Sheehy
    Just about to head out the door for a week in Ireland so I thought I'd squeeze in a celebratory couple of tunes... WBB and Stans...

and the previous submission from Middle Ages...

43. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Gary, congratulations on the first post. Nice sound from your mandolin.

Eddie, very nice tone and playing. Be careful with the brew over there
  44. Russ Donahue
    Russ Donahue
    A late addition.
  45. Orkun Hiçyılmaz
    Orkun Hiçyılmaz
    The only blugrass song that I know for the moment.

46. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Nice pickin there Russ and Orkun!! Orkun, you kept great time with the backing track too!! I usually wind up playing an extra half bar at the start of the B part and throwing everyone off...
  47. Isaac Revard
    Isaac Revard
    After a few hear hiatus from my attempt at learning the mandolin, I'm back at it. He is Whiskey Before Breakfast after a few weeks back. Nice job to everyone else!
  48. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Nice clean picking Zeek. Keep at it.
    You have a very nice mandolin to learn on.
    Gary
  49. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    A friend of mine asked me to post their version here:

50. John W.
    John W.
    I think your friend is being very hard on himself, David…that was great playing, and I really like the tone of the mando being played (I’m curious to know what it is). I’m assuming he creates his own videos as well?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast