Week #56 ~ The Girl I Left Behind Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm going to announce the winner this week, just a tad early. It was close between 3 tunes, but this one won by one vote.

An old-time tune, The Girl I Left Behind Me. It was the first tune I learned 5 years ago when I started taking lessons on the mandolin! Before then, I had ZERO contact with Old-time or Celtic tunes! Here is a link to this tune's thread as an OTHER TUNE, started almost a year ago!

Here is ABC from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Girl I Left Behind Me, The
    M: 2/4
    L: 1/8
    R: polka
    K: Gmaj
    |:g/f/|ed BA|BG E>F|G2 G/A/B/c/|d2 dg/f/|
    ed BA|BG E>G|FA DE/F/|G2 G:|
    |:z/A/|Bd ef|gd BG|Bd ef|g2 f>^c|
    ed BA|BG E>G|FA DE/F/|G2 G:|

HERE is the search results for this tune on www.mandozine.com (TEF files)

Here is a little history of the tune from Wikipedia

Here is notation and ABC from abc tunesearch

Here it is on Digital Tradition
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    .tef file for TABs and Std Notation.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...7&d=1274456549

have a great weekend, everyone!

mike
  3. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    This could be fancied up by someone better'n me. To get your pick direction correct just watch me and do the exact oppostite.

4. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Here's my whistle version. There are a lot of little variations that can be done with this tune. It will be interesting to see what folks come up with. When sung it's done AABB, but a lot of times it's played ABAB.

5. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    This was a favorite, BTW, of George Armstrong Custer who liked to march off to kill Indians to it. It's also a favorite of whoever worked on the soundtracks of the old Westerns. I hear it in those all the time.
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    An Spailpín Fánach/Waxie's Dargle/Girl I left Behind... On a Bluett F4.

Seo ar Siúl An Spailpín Fánach...

7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent stuff Martin and Eddie. I used to have a spailpin, but I dropped it down the back of the sofa and I've never been able to find it since. I used it when I waxed my dargle.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    PLEEEEASE David! This is a family show...
  9. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks OS. Eddie, get your mind out of the gutter. According to wiki, a Spailpín or Spailpeen means "wandering landless labourer" and refers to an itinerant or seasonal farm worker in Ireland from the 17th to the early 20th c. Dargle refers to the River Dargle in Ireland and a "waxie" is a candlemaker. "The song Waxies' Dargle commemmorates the annual outing of Dublin candle-makers ("waxies") to [the River Dargle]." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dargle#Cultural_references

No, I'm not a know it all, It's just 20 minutes from quittin' time and I'm out of stuff t'do. I only know what I read on the internet. If it's on the WWW it must be true, mustn't it?
  10. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Very nice versions, everyone. OT on a whistle; who'd a thunk (besides Chris Norman.)

OS, no wonder you lost your spailpin; if you need to wax your dargle, you're in serious trouble...
  11. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Nice job, M & E. The sung version is slightly different than the polka I guess? I have a few different versions sung (Liadan, Boys ot Lough, and Dervish), but no instrumental versions, oddly enough.

A melancholy version of the polka:

Cheers
    MRT
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was really gorgeous Mark, what a wonderful idea for that tune.
  13. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I'll never hear that tune the same again.
  14. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Thanks David, and... sorry Jim!
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    It'd bring tears to a stone...
  16. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Mark, What a unique and beautiful version of that tune. I really enjoyed it.

Eric
  17. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    You people are amazing, don't know where you find the time. This one's like me, short and simple!
  18. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Sounds good, Tosh. Mark,
  19. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Mark, pensive and passionate. Love the direction you took with it. Will you marry me?
  20. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Clean and crisp Tosh.
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Going well again this week, excellent versions all round. But for my money, John Hartford's version of this is tops, so here's a little homage:

22. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Nice work everybody!

Sausage are you a bit tired in the video? You're playing isn't tired sounding at all but you look kinda tired.....
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, I did get up at 5 this morning which is very unlike me, so I probably do look tired today.
  24. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Flawless as usual, David. I hadn't heard that version before, very nice. Mark inspired me to try a slower tempo version. I originally started with a reggae version that morphed into the existing non-reggae version, played on my Weber octar, concertina, mandolin & bass. I played the backup on the mandolin in "Grieser" tuning, GDGD.

25. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Janey mack there's some cracking versions on show here - well done to you all!!
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Wonderful version David, it makes me want to pack some sandwiches and set sail in my little boat for somewhere. If I had a boat, which of course I don't. Nor any sandwiches. And apparently even the sea has issues...
  27. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Awesome, David!! You SHOULD do a reggae version. I think that would be the first reggae thingy for the group!

Sausage...damn, 5 is pretty early! No wonder you look tired!
  28. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I know this was directed at the other David, but it was a challenge I couldn't resist, though I probably should have.

29. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Great versions, everyone. Here's mine played on the Old Wave.

Eric

30. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    David that was really cool. I was having trouble with the sound of my upright in a reggae setting but your bass guitar really fits the bill. Now I can take a little boat full of sandwiches and sail to Jamaica.

Eric, nice playing and I love the sound of your Old Wave.
  31. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Ah Reggae and Old Time - they said it shouldn't be done and I think they were right...

Then again it just sounds like too much fun - here's my scratchy Reggae Lite version

32. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent!
  33. Susanne
    Susanne
    Nice work, everyone, even if I can just hear bits of your videos due to a very poor internet connection (can't wait to get our new ADSL up and running, we just moved). Martin, that's a very nice sounding tin whistle, what is it??? Or can it be that it is the player that makes it sound good?
  34. Susanne
    Susanne
    Here's mine, the first organized recording in the new apartment. Looks like there's good light conditions for recording in here

35. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Here's my take on the Girl I Left Behind Me. I always think of John Wayne Western movies when I hear this tune.

36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice Susi~ And this angle is really great for seeing your left hand technique, which is very nice~ And yet, you can still see the right hand good, too!
  37. Susanne
    Susanne
    Yeah, it was a nice place to record, actually, although if you want to see my face I'll have to move to the other side of the table... So you see my left hand technique, huh? Or the lack of it? Maybe I SHOULD move to the other side of the table, lol
  38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Oh, Susi, I think your left hand technique is great! And your right hand, too!
  39. Susanne
    Susanne
    Oh, that's good!!!
  40. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Okay, everyone is picking in the wrong direction! Don't you know you're supposed to pick "up" on the downbeat?
  41. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, only when you're playing reggae.
  42. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    you can always blame it on video sync, heh heh. Nice versions, y'alls.
  43. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Here's a shot at it on my new old no-name plectrum banjo.

44. monkeytroy
    monkeytroy
    I've been watching this group for a while, but have not been participating. Thought I would try my hand at it when I have time. Here is my attempt.

45. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice work monkeytroy, I really like all the variation in there. Good to have you posting.
  46. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Monkeytroy! Good to have you here! Tell us about your lovely mandolin!

In light of the recent MONKEY name calling, it's good to have a real MONKEY to talk to!
  47. monkeytroy
    monkeytroy
    Thank you.

I play a 2004 Weber Gallatin with a 'natural' satin finish. Got it used a few years ago and have been extremely pleased with it.
  48. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Fred!! Glad you joined us.

I think I posted this before but sine y'all aren't tired of my ugly mug yet, here it is again!

49. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job Shaun, that was a lot of fun.
  50. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great job on this tune, everyone! I finally got around to recording it. Of course, I had to use GDGD tuning (Grieser tuning as David Hansen calls it) since it has all those open strings ringing out. Played on a Gilchrist Model 1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast