The House of the Rising Sun

1. Eddie Sheehy
    One of the first tunes I learned on guitar in the early 70's. Using a Sony Camcorder I played it once through on the 12-string and about an hour later I played it once through on my Kimble AR. I made no attempt at synchronization and relied on my internal metronome. I used ROXIO to combine both mpegs and overlayed the guitar on the mando. The result is an approximation of a pub duet - one instrument playing a little catch-up and the ending just kind of hitting a brick wall. My enjoyment is in playing the tunes not editing or production... though I would have preferred the video being the mando not the guitar, ah well....

2. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Oh mother tell your children
    Not to do what I have done
    Spend your lives in sin and mandolinery
    In the House of the Rising Sun ...
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very cool Eddie! I was at a campground these weekend with friends who play & sing around the campfire, and one of the guys had a 12 string.... such a pretty instrument! Also, a new video spot.... poolside! Great different tune for mando~
  4. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here is my take, with the help of my local rock guitarist:

I meant to do this earlier, but it took me this long to learn...
  5. Earl Gamage
    Earl Gamage
    Very fun video, CelticDude.
  6. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    You and your son rock, Dana. Very cool. Too bad there's no devil horns emoticon.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Whoa Dana - hadn't so much fun listening to family rock since The Partridge Family. Doesn't that just take the biscuit!
  8. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Thanks all. Yes, it was fun doing a song with the kid. Not sure Partridge Family is exactly what we're shooting for though...
  9. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X: 1
    T:The House of the Rising Sun
    C:Traditional
    S:Lewis Music Publishing Co.
    M:3/4
    L:1/4
    F:http://troseandassociates.com/abc/Ho...eRisingSun.abc 2003-10-11 04:15:35 UT
    K:C
    E | "Am"A,2 (B,/2A,/2) | "Am6"C "Dm" (D/2^D/2) | "E7"E (C/2B,/2) |
    "Am"A,2 "E7"E | "Am"A2 E | "Em"G "G7"(E/2D/2) | "C"E3- |
    "E7"E2 ^G/2A/2 | "Am"A- "F"A "Am"A, | "F"C/2 "F#o"C3/2 "E7"E/2 | "Am"E/2
    E/2 E "Am7"C/2B,/2 | "F"A,2 "Dm6"D | "Am"E2 E |
    "E7"E2 (C/2B,/2) | "Am"A,2- "Dm"A,- | "Am"A, z z | "C#7"z "G7"z2 | "F#7"z3 |
    z z ^F ||
    K:D
    "Bm"B,2 C/2B,/2 | "Bm6"D/2 D3/2 "Em"E/2^E/2 | "F#7"F2 D/2E/2 ||
    "Bm"B,2 "F#7"F | "Bm"B2 F | "F#m"A2 "A7"F/2E/2 | "D"F3- | "F#7"F2 ^A/2B/2 |
    "Bm"B- "G"B "Bm"B, | "G"d "Go"D "F#7"F | "Bm"F/2F/2 F "Bm7"D/2C/2 |
    "G"B,2 "Em6" E | "Bm"F2 F | "F#7"F2 D/2C/2 | "G"B,2- "B7"B,- | "Em"B,2 "Em6"E
    |
    "Bm"F2 F/2F/2 | "F#7"F2 D/2C/2 | "Bm"B,2- "Em6"B,- | "Bm"B,2 z :|
    %
    W:1. There is a house in New Orleans
    W:they call the Rising Sun.
    W:It has been the ruin of many a poor young girl,
    W:and I, Oh, Lord, was one.
    W:If ...
    W:
    W:2. Go speak to my ba-by sis-ter and say
    W:"Don't do as I have done.
    W:Stay away from places like this one in New Orleans
    W:they call the Rising Sun."
    W:Now ...
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie's posted another... here's the link!
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've had a go at this old favourite, after I found an interesting arrangement by Jan Wolters:

http://www.janwolters.nl/blad/house.pdf

Adapted to two mandolins, tenor guitar and mandocello.

1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Art by Toulouse-Lautrec.

Martin
  12. crisscross
    crisscross
    I played the Italian version La casa del sol levante:
  13. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Wow, CrissCross! that was beautiful... Very romantic and warm! Excellent tremolo's
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Really good tremolo, crisscross! Any particular technique?
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Successful work on your tremability, crisscross! Sounds fantastic.
  16. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks luurtie, Gelsenbury and Frithjof!
    As for a particular technique, I try to play sextuplets without letting the listener hear the accents too much...
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I was sure this was an official SAW tune, but apparently not. Lots of good versions above -- here is a new one of mine, using a completely different arrangement than my 2015 recording. I'm playing four verses, each with different melody phrasing/variation, over an arpeggio shuffle rhythm on tenor guitar.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a nice varied arrangement and well played, Martin.
  19. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof -- it's fun to play around with this tune, and the triplet tenor guitar arpeggios worked out pretty well.

Martin
  20. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Crisscross (Christian DP?): I had overlooked your video ... your tremolo is not only beautiful, it is superb!
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Martin, yours reminds me very much of the Animals' version from the 60s, the first one I ever heard. Going out on a limb here - that might also be the first version you heard back then?
  22. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Bertram. Yes, The Animals' version was the first I heard -- a schoolmate trying to show off the riff on his electric guitar. My video is based on a transcription from an old tunebook ("101 Rock'n'Roll Hits for Buskers" -- same one I've used for a few others recently) and although it's credited solely as traditional, arranged by the book publishers, it's pretty plainly meant to be The Animals. They've even written Alan Price's organ fills into the score in little notes, although I haven't included them.

Mind you, the Animals stole their version from Bob Dylan, who in turn stole it from Dave Van Ronk, with none of them giving credit to their source. The main change the Animals did was to play Dylan's chord progression as triplet arpeggios on electric guitar, so that's what I did as well (the transcription I used doesn't say that, it just gives the chords). The progression itself is by Van Ronk, I think -- at least he says so in Scorsese's Dylan documentary.

Martin
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a couple of days in the SAW group, Martin. Your fine delivery of this one and Jairo posting Apache. A real trip down memory lane for this oldie, and yes, I remember learning that chord sequence at the time; so much more "grown-up" than the three chord trick we used for nearly every other song and tune (but not for Apache which had minor chords too!
  24. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John! Some tunes are so indelibly imprinted in audio memory that the phrasing just comes naturally when I play them on mandolin without having to think about, which helps a lot with making the recording musical. This is one of them.

Martin