hard case?

1. flagstaffcharlie
    flagstaffcharlie
    I'm looking to fly for the first time with my Mid-Mo. Any suggestions for a hard case that fits it would be very much appreciated. Right now all I have is a TKL gig bag.

Thanks!
  2. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    My Big Muddy came with a TKL hardcase directly from Mike Dulak, you might give him a call. The mandolin fits perfectly in the case so I assume that he has them custom made.

>>>===> Dave
  3. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Phone # 573-698-3300 or e-mail swingdog@bigmuddymandolin.com (make sure you put the word mandolin in the subject).

>>>===> Dave
  4. billkilpatrick
    i've got one of those TKL cases as well - what makes it, i think, is the thick plush lining inside - mandolin fits snug as a bug, etc.
  5. flagstaffcharlie
    flagstaffcharlie
    Thanks! I'll call Mike. :-)
  6. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    I have carried my M-4 in a rectangular case. This case has very open dimensions, to favor an F-5 type instrument. I manufactured a set of Pads. It consists of pieces of high density foam, mostly cut from "pool noodle" toy, as well as some 1/2 inch pieces along the back and sides. The pool noodle is cut to fit into the corners. One edge is sliced flat to go along the sides of the instrument. The pieces are then covered with flannel material from the local Fabric Store.

When I bought the M-1, it came with a Gig bag that had a fault in it's outer Nylon Shell. I don't like these anyway. I bought a new "Canadian" Hard Shell Case. To take up the space in this I cut a piece from a Garden Kneeling pad, very dense foam, green in colour. It goes straight across the back end of the case and has it's ends cut with an angle to fit I recycled the inside lining of the gig bag and covered the foam.

The covers can be machine sewn. The M-1 case has the new pad hand sewn. There is a little gap between the foam and the case that fits a Korg tuner quite nicely. You can also put picks under the foam pieces. After the things get into use they stay put on their own.

Just a little tip.
  7. Kevin Turinsky
    Kevin Turinsky
    Okay, I'm the new guy on the block, w/ a newly acquired low-milage mahogany Mid-Mo that I picked up from a friendly local (wink, wink, nudge, nudge...Dave) just last weekend at the Anchorage Folk Festival.

I'm looking for a hard shell case that is made to accommodate backpack straps so I can carry my mandolin on my back during my bike commutes. The two cases I'm considering are the Eastman fiberglass case and the Travelite. Are the Eastman fiberglass and the Travelite too large for the Mid-Mo? Meaning, could I possibly damage my Mid-Mo by putting it in one of those cases w/o a bit of supplemental padding?
  8. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    I'm not familiar with either of those cases, but for what it's worth the Mid-Mo's fit just fine in "standard" A style cases, body wise and with plenty of head room.
    Dave
  9. Kevin Turinsky
    Kevin Turinsky
    Thanks, Dave! Sounds good.

Here's the Eastman fiberglass case:
    http://elderly.com/accessories/items/EMC1-WHITE.htm

Travelite case (all foam - good insulation for the temp swings up here in AK!):
    http://elderly.com/accessories/items/TLC-F-MANDO.htm
  10. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    I think you can get either of the cases you mention. if you feel that the Mid Missouri will be a bit small, then you can pad the case to take up the slack. My mid missouris are a couple of inches shorter than my Samick A. The Samick fits nicely in a standard shaped mandolin case.

Like I said in my earlier post, the rectangular case did not fit the Mid Missouri at all.
  11. Kevin Turinsky
    Kevin Turinsky
    Thanks guys. I ended up getting a nice TKL off of Amazon because I knew the Mid-Mo will fit in it. I'm not so sure about the Eastman. Plus, I'll be able to use the TKL w/ an A5 if one happens to come along in the future. I'll look at Small Dog covers to see if they have anything to make the TKL into something I can throw on my back.
  12. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Kevin, I put my TKL into a regular sized daypack. The neck sticks out a bit, but the body portion fits right in. Plus you have pockets and a little extra room for stuff inside the pack. I did that when we went to Idaho last year and it worked really well.

Dave
  13. Japhy
    Japhy
    The dealer told me the Big Muddy would not fit properly in any other case. That runs contrary to what a couple of you have said. I went ahead and got one on amazon anyway. It's not a TKL but it'll have to do. I'll make it fit!
  14. multidon
    multidon
    I have always been curious as to whether Mike gets those hard cases custom made or if they are just standard TKL A style cases. Like others have said, they are a perfect fit (the one Mike sells).
  15. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    Don't ask why I have this impression, but I always thought Mike's hardshell cases were the Canadian ones. I believe he may have them shortened to fit, but don't know that for sure either.