New members

1. Mike Bunting
    I see we have a new member, welcome Mando_Steve. Which Stanley do you play? I have #20. Drop us a line sometime.
  2. mando_steve
    mando_steve
    I've got #51. I've had her for a little over three months now. She's a beaut and sounds incredible too!
  3. Bert Deivert
    Bert Deivert
    finally got my A model #53 home... very nice... breaking it in with a Tone Rite now... and playing it too!
  4. Mike Bunting
    Hey, let us know how the Tonerite works.
  5. dan in va
    dan in va
    Hi everybody. I'm curious to hear what y'all think about how the tone of your Stanley has matured over the years. Although I haven't played one, the sound clips all sound top shelf, and some very much Loar like.
  6. Bert Deivert
    Bert Deivert
    The TonerRite helps warm them up before I play, since I have a number of mandos I have with me and am in Thailand right now for 4 months with just my National RM-1. But there is a definite progression over the years, but straight out of the box they sound really great. I would like a lighter setup since I am not a bluegrass player, and Chris told m to find somebody that specializes in that.... not easy in Sweden... So I put on some lighter strings and lowered the bridge. Probably needs a little nut filling too but i don't dare do that. The overtones are amazing on these Stanleys. Both the A and V models are wonderful.
  7. dan in va
    dan in va
    How balanced is the volume across the strings and up the neck? I'm hoping for a big, open sound with the midrange overtones. I've played some mandos by respected makers with stiff E strings that required extra effort to bring them out. So far I haven't heard of this problem with a Stanley. Chris is really great to work with.
  8. Mike Bunting
    I can only speak to my Stanley, #20, but that balance is one of the things that has impressed me a lot, both across the strings and up the neck. And yes to my ears it sure shows that openness and powerful midrange tone and (in response to the earlier question) even more so in the two and a half years that I've owned it and played it a lot. It is also very loud and it is very easy to have low action and still get the volume on a very easy playing and fast neck. I'll put money on it that you'll like it a whole lot.
  9. Bert Deivert
    Bert Deivert
    I am in total agreement with Mike! order one and say hi from me to Chris!
  10. dan in va
    dan in va
    Thanks for your replies; I'm hoping to hear about as many Stanley mandolins as possible. At the moment, Chris is in the middle of a plain-Jane f-hole A build for me. The whole process is pretty exciting.

Also, I'd like to hear as much about your own Stanleys as you can tell me...whatever you'd like to share...how they compare with other mandos, how they sound with other instruments...whatever you can tell me.

Thanks again, and merry Christmas to you.....dan
  11. MoBob
    MoBob
    Hello all, just joined the group. I received #59 a couple of days ago from Chris. Copy of Loar A5. Really a great mando, lots of power and vintage tone.
  12. Mike Bunting
    Thanks for tuning in. Where are you located? (Just my curiosity) I know you'll like it.
  13. dan in va
    dan in va
    MoBob,

It's such a beautiful piece. Can you tell us more about how your new A sounds and plays?

tone balance--strong on some strings,treble/mid/bass even across all, up the neck, etc
    volume balance--across the strings, up the neck
    overall loudness, projection, chop

Chris is excited about the density of the maple and its sound. He's using wood from the same board on mine, which is in the French polish stage at the moment.

Congrats on your new Stanley.....dan
  14. BillG
    BillG
    Hi, everyone! Glad to be a part of this group of very smart people!
    I took delivery earlier this week and am the proud owner of Stanley F5 #29.

Some of you may recall it was listed late 2018 on Elderly's website. I bought it from the person who bought it from Elderly. You can check Elderly's pics of it, just Google Stanley F5 #29. The nut is exactly 1 1/8, not 1 7/32 as they had it.

I have owned a number of mandolins over the years but this baby is my fav.

Very happy!
  15. dan in va
    dan in va
    Hi BillG. How is your Stanley doing now and what do you think about it and others?